What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Potential Engine Recall?

A

Anonymous

Just noticed a news story from BMW Mini today saying that there will be a significant recall on Mini Coopers. My understanding is that the engine in the Cooper is identical to the one in the 200BHP 1.6GT. Does anyone know if Peugeot has implemented their own water cooling pump design mentioned in the attached article or are they the same units ?

30,000 Minis recalled in fire risk

Nearly 30,000 Mini Coopers are to be recalled in Britain after makers detected an electrical fault which could lead cars to catch fire.
German car maker BMW said the recall concerns 235,000 vehicles worldwide.
Safety checks revealed a problem which can cause the water pump to fail, potentially causing the car to overheat.
Manufacturers are investigating one case in Britain where a fire is being linked to the water pump, a spokesman said

A U.S equivalent story can be found HERE

Thoughts ?

A

Anonymous

Seen the same story. Would be nice to have an official line on this one

pete.garratt

Reaction score
A similar story has been running in the Sunday Times over the last few months. Don't have links to hand but, from memory, this was reported to be over specific model years - before the RCZ was released, I believe & petrol engines only.

On this basis, it is not absolutely certain that the same problem exists on other cars using a similar engine (207, various Citroens, some 308s an possibly other models) since conceivably it is related to the precise detail of the engine installation, the routing of electrical cables, fuel pipes etc. & their proximity to the surrounding bodywork. No doubt each installation is slightly different, so the risk may not be present.

What is clear, however, is that in this kind of situation, no news is definitely not good news.

Every owner is now left wondering if there is a problem with their car.

What is needed is a clear and concise statement from Peugeot regarding how this affects the RCZ.

On a more positive note, to the best of my knowledge, Minis are the only type of vehicle where this problem has been reported.

We need to be careful not to panic while we get a positive statement.

If anyone has more or different information, please post it here as soon as possible.

A

Anonymous

mind you it's that cold up here in aberdeen atm that i'd be surprised if anything could overheat! :)

A

Anonymous

Different coolin systems on our cars I believe, wouldn't say no to a recall to fix the loss of turbo issues though.....

A

Anonymous

xzibit206 said:
mind you it's that cold up here in aberdeen atm that i'd be surprised if anything could overheat! :)

Aye but it's bonny to look at!! Would much rather have all this frost than snow! .... and don't ya just love your heated seats on these mornings!!

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
Different coolin systems on our cars I believe, wouldn't say no to a recall to fix the loss of turbo issues though.....

It's exactly the same cooling system, and uses the same auxiliary electric cooling pump to cool the turbo, however that said, there are superseded revisions of the pump, as fitted to the THP engines over the years, so you may/may not get a recall letter, dependant on the revised pump fitted to your particular model/year from the factory.

A

Anonymous

:shock: I completely forgot about the heated seats the past couple of mornings :wtf:

Not sure if anyone else gets it, but my boot lid gets a wonderful ice pattern over it. Wish I had a professional camera kicking around to get a picture but I'm usual pre-occupied getting through to Dyce past the Haddigan (those from Aberdeen will know exactly what i mean)

pete.garratt

Reaction score
For the time being, yes, but let's not lose sight of what this threads actually about.

Hopefully, in a day or so, we'll be able to forget all about it.

Hatman

Reaction score
Found this on 207oc

Please see below response from Peugeot.

Thank you for your email regarding your Peugeot 207. We are aware of the situation and of the recall which is being issued and fully appreciate your reason for contacting us.

At this time there have been no cases of this type in the UK on Peugeot vehicles. This could be due to the fact that even though the base engine is the same, the electrical architecture of the two brands is different. However, Peugeot Motor Company are currently looking into the matter and if necessary, a recall will be issued on all affected vehicles.

A

Anonymous

RE: Recall of Mini Models fitted with the BMW/PSA Group 1.6 litre THP Petrol Engine

Peugeot has had no notification of any similar incidents with its engines. Our vehicles are equipped with an on board diagnostic system that would detect, at a very early stage, any possible malfunction of the water pump, and in this case, would stop its electrical supply.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Peugeot Group said:
RE: Recall of Mini Models fitted with the BMW/PSA Group 1.6 litre THP Petrol Engine

Peugeot has had no notification of any similar incidents with its engines. Our vehicles are equipped with an on board diagnostic system that would detect, at a very early stage, any possible malfunction of the water pump, and in this case, would stop its electrical supply.

Thank you, Peugeot Group, for contacting the Forum on this matter.

While I fully accept that this issue has only ever been reported on BMW Minis, I have a couple of follow-up questions:

1) I would presume Minis have an equivalent diagnostic system and, if true, it would appear that no faults were flagged up there. This being the case, how sure are we a similar situation does not exist with the installation PSA use?

2) What communication has taken place between BMW & PSA to communicate the full details of the issue uncovered, so as to allow PSA to perform its own assessment of any residaul risk that may or may not be present in PSA vehicles?

Thanks in advance.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Peugeot Group said:

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to close this down.

I've been speaking to someone at Peugeot (thanks for the rapid response, Richard!) and it appears we do in fact have a slightly different installation in PSA vehicles. This is what gives us added protection, as described in the forum response by Peugeot Group.

I think we can rest easy on this one now.

A

Anonymous

pete.garratt said:
Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to close this down.

I've been speaking to someone at Peugeot (thanks for the rapid response, Richard!) and it appears we do in fact have a slightly different installation in PSA vehicles. This is what gives us added protection, as described in the forum response by Peugeot Group.

I think we can rest easy on this one now.

:lol: :lol: :lol: The auxiliary cooling pumps for the turbo, are exactly the same, as the ones fitted to the BMW MINI's, and the "PSA" vehicles do not have a different installation, nor do they have a different electrical feed, resistance or switching capability, Peugeot have had them go wrong, don't get me wrong, I am not saying they have had any fires, unlike BMW MINI, however they do go wrong on the Peugeot models, here is such a link right here on this very forum: pump-for-the-tubro-t3337.html

Peugeot are telling you, exactly what they want you to hear/believe, as so they don't set off a PANIC, and end up having to do a recall, like BMW MINI already have, I think they will sit back on the fence, and bury their head in the sand.

A

Anonymous

Czar

You have just stated that someone very senior in Peugeot has been lying to members of the public on an open forum about a potential safety related issue....hope you have got the evidence to back that up!

Are you also saying that the RCZ and Mini share the same wiring system?