What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

P15A6 and P0948 codes

Valex

Reaction score
This morning, after driving 10-15 minutes and turning off the RCZ, I noticed that the cooling fan was still on at full speed and not turning off also after several minutes.
I went directly to the local Peugeot garage and during the 10 minutes drive, I had the engine fault service needed lite and the water coolant level message.
The mechanic connected the diagnostic computer and the error code are:
P15A6, permanent fault, oil pressure control. Description: pressure relative to the setpoint too high
P0948, permanent fault, control oil pump solenoid valve. Description: short circuit with +

It is Saturday, they didn't have time to check further, I have an appointment for next week.
For now, every time that I stop the car, I need to remove and reconnect the + connector from the battery so the fan is going to stop before the battery is completely empty 🙄
What is going on? What can I aspect 😱 ?

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
This morning, after driving 10-15 minutes and turning off the RCZ, I noticed that the cooling fan was still on at full speed and not turning off also after several minutes.
I went directly to the local Peugeot garage and during the 10 minutes drive, I had the engine fault service needed lite and the water coolant level message.
The mechanic connected the diagnostic computer and the error code are:
P15A6, permanent fault, oil pressure control. Description: pressure relative to the setpoint too high
P0948, permanent fault, control oil pump solenoid valve. Description: short circuit with +

It is Saturday, they didn't have time to check further, I have an appointment for next week.
For now, every time that I stop the car, I need to remove and reconnect the + connector from the battery so the fan is going to stop before the battery is completely empty 🙄
What is going on? What can I aspect 😱 ?
The fan is triggered to stop the engine from overheating by the ECU which has detected a fault in the cars powertrain system such as oil pressure warnings from a sensor etc

Valex

Reaction score
Just returned from the Peugeot dealer and they will newer see me again :mad:. I had to speak with a secretary/receptionist, I could not speak with the mechanic, She started speaking about things that she didn't know about just reading the document some mechanic wrote, about oil and fluid leaks that I explained were just previous to the replacement of the rocker cover I personally did one month ago.
She says that they have to change "something electric on the oil pump" which was going to take 7-8 hours. She told me that another 5-6 hours were needed to identify the air leakage that I explained it is just the sport filter I have. And maybe also the timing chain was not as it should be and needed to be checked (replaced by the same dealer one year ago). In the end, she says that was already more than 2000 Euro hoping to don't find other surprises. She let me also notice that my tires need also to be replaced and looking at the age of the car I should take into consideration if do the job or not 🤬🤬🤬!!! I had to pay 170 Euro for the "diagnostic and use of the diagnostic tools".🤬🤬🤬 and I drove away🖕!
Now, Probably I will go to a private garage I know, but what about try to change the oil pressure switch by myself? Could be just that?
It is this right?
Oil Pressure switch.PNG

Is part number 9802152780 correct?

Pedro

Reaction score
Don't know part No for that item however I have checked for the P0948 on my OBD codes list & this fault can be attributed to an issue with the oil pressure regulator solenoid valve short circuit to battery positive showing a permanent fault which is not uncommon on the Prince engines due to Oil viscosity values

Valex

Reaction score
I ordered the oil pressure sensor and I should receive it today. Found out I will need also a 24mm deep socket.
But now you tell me about the oil pressure regulator solenoid valve that is something else :rolleyes:.
Something I didn't say, is that last time I changed the oil I replaced it with 5W-40 oil (Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100) just to see if the oil consumption was decreasing.
This didn't help so much. But with that oil I did almost 6 months, around 10.000 km. I was going to change it again this month.
After, last month, I changed the rocker cover and the oil consumption is almost disappeared. Also no white smoke from the exhaust as before after long idling periods.

If I can find the 24mm deep socket I should replace the sensor today. If I don't solve the issue, I will change the oil and oil filter in the weekend. and in the mean time I will order the oil pressure regulator solenoid valve. Where it is? Is this valve that was going to take 7-8 hours to replace for the Peugeot garage?

Pedro

Reaction score
When you say I tell you I'm only pointing to a possible cause of the fault & you are right to point out oil issues even changing the oil & filter has been known to eradicate a few generic lubrication faults & EML's popping up so do an oil service then see what happens
I did post up a diagram of the position of the oil solenoid valve if my memory serve me correctly

Valex

Reaction score
Wait, I think I'm wrong, this is timing solenoid valve and not the oil pump solenoid, they looks the same.
But the oil pump one has the a wire before the connector. This is the right one:

Screenshot 2022-09-14 104104.png
Screenshot 2022-09-14 104303.png

Where is it :eek:? This means open the oil carter, right 😩?

Edit ...
Searching for the part number I found this:

Запчасти на фото: 2029002. Фото в бортжурнале Citroen C4 (2G)

There pictures are for a Citroen C4. Is all the wheel shaft removal necessary?
😱😭

Last edited:

Valex

Reaction score
At this point, before I replace the oil for nothing, I should do or let do this job and replace the oil pump solenoid valve.
The shipment of the oil pressure sensor is delayed, I will receive it tomorrow. Today I found the 24mm deep socket. I removed the old sensor, cleaned it with brake cleaner, and mounted it back but the error is still there.
What about using the car until I have the oil pump solenoid valve?

Pedro

Reaction score
Obviously the light will remain on the dash but I can't see why not as long as you have at least 4 litres of clean oil in the sump as for the actual fault there is no telling exactly where this issue is coming from its basically a process of elimination on the lubrication or electrical systems there are pointers to different components that could lead to a failing sensor or pressure valve as you already know

Valex

Reaction score
I was checking for the oil pump solenoid valve, v764723880, it is almost impossible to find on local car spare websites. For the original one, prices go from 250Euro to 350Euro.
I found this one with a more reasonable price (208 €+17€ sending costs) on Ebay, from Germany: Original PSA Stellantis ELEKTROVENTIL ÖLPUMPE V764723880 | eBay
Funny that Aliexpress is full of not originals for less than 20-30 € o_O

Last edited:

Valex

Reaction score
As long as its not Chinese !
There is no aftermarket choice, original Peugeot/Citroen or Chinese clones :rolleyes: . Strange, that this part is present in so many car models.
I was checking also for the Mini Cooper one P/N 11417647238, Some aftermarket models but looks like it is only compatible with the Mini 🤨.
Regarding the removal of the drive shaft, I found the confirmation that it is needed to remove it 🤬. This is a short video of a Mini:

I found also this funny but interesting video 😂:

Last edited:

Valex

Reaction score
I'm just back home from work. I'm waiting that the motor cools down so I can replace the oil pressure switch.
I was monitoring with an OBDII dongle and the app (Car Scanner) and these are some print screens:
This is when I was driving at 100km/h (GPS speed with cruise control on):
Screenshot_20220915-162813.jpg

And this is when I was parked home. I turned off the motor and turned it on again and the "Oil pump valve duty" woke up o_O :
Screenshot_20220915-164312.jpg

From what I read on internet, normal oil pressure should be between 25 and 65 PSI. I'm between 50 and 100 PSI :rolleyes:.

Valex

Reaction score
Now I'm confused o_O !
I replaced the oil pressure switch, reset the errors with the App and now, the check engine light, goes off after two seconds the ENGINE starts. I restarted the engine, and keep it on for 5-6 minutes at idle with some push to the accelerator pedal to 3000 RPM and the message "Engine Fault: repair needed" newer appeared. I turned off the engine and also the radiator cooling fan switched off. I was so happy I decided to go buy some pizzas 🥳!
I drove for 10 minutes, stop the car and the fan was on and it stayed on also after the engine was off. After 5 minutes I was back and the fan was still on 🙁.
I drove at home, turned off the engine, and the fan staying always on at full speed. I disconnected the + terminal of the battery, the fan stopped and I went inside to eat my pizza. Again, the check engine light went off as it should do and the "Engine Fault: repair needed" message never appeared.
Probably I need a better OBDII scanner.

Last edited:

Valex

Reaction score
Update ...
This morning I drove at work,
This is just some second after engine on (idle):
Screenshot_20220916-063113.jpg

This is at 100K/h (highway):
Screenshot_20220916-063858.jpg

This is at 80Km/h (average speed control 😅 )
Screenshot_20220916-064815.jpg

This is when I arrived at work (idle):
Screenshot_20220916-070347.jpg

With the car parked, I opened the bonnet and the fan was off. I turned off the engine and ... silence :)!
Also, the check engine light went off after 2-3 seconds after I turned on the engine and the "Engine Fault: repair needed" never came out :).

Now my questions are:
Did I solve the issue?
Is the oil pressure correct or too high and I I still need to replace the oil pump solenoid valve?
Why the oil pump valve duty stays on Zero?

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
On average when the oil is warm it will hover around 25- 60psi if you have a consistently high oil pressure this may point a blockage or failing component in the lubrication system
A high pressure mark is usually over 80 psi so your engine appears to be in the values considered normal oil flow

Valex

Reaction score
Can be that the high oil pressure is caused by the 5W-40 oil. As I wrote above, was a test for the smoke after idling in the traffic.
Next change, ready for the winter, I'm going back to the 5W-30 Total Ineo ECS :).
I will post the Car scanner App screens just to see if the values are different.