What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Newbie looking for an R

Kerr

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about the grey one with the extended warranty, the car looks good one to me, not too sure about the colour, and how good is the Peugeot warranty and what does it cover?

The warranty is very good. Most manufacturer extended warranties are. This will be the last year you can extend the warranty. It covers up to 10 years old.

£14,000 for a private sale car with 60,000 miles is still too much. They've reduced the price numerous times which suggests they aren't getting much interest.

There has been better cars going for less. The one in excellent condition the other week wasn't too much more.

Mercury grey is a really nice colour, but colour is a matter of opinion. It was the least popular colour new where people ordered and paid for the colour they wanted.

You've waited this long. Hold out for the car you really want. One will pop up.

AlBuck

Reaction score
Thanks Kerr,

With the colour I was hoping I fell in love with it the way I did the white one.

What do you think would be the right price for it, maybe £12k?

Kerr

Reaction score
Thanks Kerr,

With the colour I was hoping I fell in love with it the way I did the white one.

What do you think would be the right price for it, maybe £12k?

I think they might struggle to get £12,000 for it. It's been on sale for 5 weeks. The cars in good condition and priced well sell. That one is still hanging around.

HPI do a free online valuation guide.

They won't be able to trade the car in, or sell to We buy any car as the offers will be derisory. How long do they try and hold out for a larger private sale price?

Claret63

Reaction score
I think they might struggle to get £12,000 for it. It's been on sale for 5 weeks. The cars in good condition and priced well sell. That one is still hanging around.

They won't be able to trade the car in, or sell to We buy any car as the offers will be derisory. How long do they try and hold out for a larger private sale price?
So in your expert opinion Kerr what is the car actually worth then?

Kerr

Reaction score
So in your expert opinion Kerr what is the car actually worth then?

WBAC only offer £5300 for the that car. WBAC sometimes throws up really random valuations, but it aligns with the HPI valuation for a trade in.

HPI say as a trade in £5200 for a good car upto £6400 for an excellent car.

Private sale £7400-7900. Dealer sale £8500-9000.

HPI's valuation graphs have taken a huge dip in 2024. Their valuation of the R is much lower than 2022/23. I also expected values to remain stable and increase over time.

It's grim reading the valuation guides. If you ignore them and pay some of the big asking prices then you are stuck when it comes to change. You can't trade the car in as dealers only go on valuation guides.

We've some examples of people paying good premiums for low mileage mint cars. The car recently for £15,995 with 13,000 miles is the best I've seen. That's much lower than some of the cars going for around £20,000 the last couple of years.

Flanners

Reaction score

I guess as long as it takes for someone willing to pay a fair amount for a what appears a decent example with a Manufacturer's warranty, the inverse of fannying around waiting for 'the' car with a price to drop and risk losing another decent example......

those prices from WBAC don't reflect the market...given a shitter is priced at £9K and a 156/200 is selling for more than those prices. WBAC prices don't reflect the market they try to control the market for their own benefit (aas does the Trade in general) whilst outing them for £000s more via their own BCA (or forecourts). It's in their interest and their business model to destroy the private sale market and a cars worth with their derisory prices....

I pity anyone who in 2024 sells their car to WBAC or indeed uses a 10yr old halo car as a Trade-in with the motor industry for a PCP deal.......on a generic over priced unaffordable shit box. I also think a purchaser with a modicum of sense buying an R or any decent 10yr old ICE looking at Trade in values as a variable as to purchase is missing the point somewhat and better to throw their money away on a PCP deal etc.

Last edited:

Kerr

Reaction score
I guess as long as it takes for someone willing to pay a fair amount for a what appears a decent example with a Manufacturer's warranty, the inverse of fannying around waiting for 'the' car with a price to drop and risk losing a decent example......

There has been plenty of cars that look as good if not better, with less miles, than that one sell for less.

I wouldn't be paying £14,000 for a 60k mile R. Trying to encourage someone else to do it is poor advice.

There was one with a Peugeot warranty, less miles, a few months ago and the advertised price dropped down to around £12,000.

Flanners

Reaction score
Need to stay away from these speculative subjective pricing threads.....Coldel and his bollocks a couple of year's ago was in a similar vein he ended up with a cheap Z4:D

Claret63

Reaction score
For me moving forward there are 2 types of buyers, there are those who still want one of these for a daily, so not much point in paying top price, as your always going to put big miles on it and the car will be worth less.

Then there are those buyers who want a good example with low miles who want a car for that special weekend drive, hence prepared to pay what the car is worth to them as an enthusiast.

As the R becomes more rare and the daily use high milers come to the end of their useful life, we will be left with the good crop, where valuations from the various platforms will be irrelevant and have no bearing on the value of the R in my opinion.

We are a good 10 years of that yet or there about, meanwhile yes anybody selling their R as a daily to trade in has to simply accept a low price.

My old Monaro (red supercharged one 24k) is currently back on AT for a lot more than I paid for it 16 years ago, I did spend a lot modding it though LOL!

Kerr

Reaction score
Need to stay away from these speculative subjective pricing threads.....Coldel and his bollocks a couple of year's ago was in a similar vein he ended up with a cheap Z4:D

HPI/CAP valuations are what the car industry is based on.

Many of the Rs that come up are discussed on here. There has been plenty of examples of good cars for a lot less than £14,000. 60,000 mile cars have never been £14,000 cars. That car isn't a £14,000 car.

I know the forum is biased, but it's not fair to mislead people asking for advice. I know the figures look terrible, but that is the harsh truth where the market values these cars. Buyers should be aware of that.

We've had a few people pay too much and they got stung when they sold the car. Didn't Dinger lose around £9000 in one year?

Claret63

Reaction score
HPI/CAP valuations are what the car industry is based on.

Many of the Rs that come up are discussed on here. There has been plenty of examples of good cars for a lot less than £14,000. 60,000 mile cars have never been £14,000 cars. That car isn't a £14,000 car.

I know the forum is biased, but it's not fair to mislead people asking for advice. I know the figures look terrible, but that is the harsh truth where the market values these cars. Buyers should be aware of that.

We've had a few people pay too much and they got stung when they sold the car. Didn't Dinger lose around £9000 in one year?

I think you do talk a lot of sense Kerr, and I do respect your view and fact in your post.

For me though the problem is that most Rs that come up need money spending on them, the brakes alone can add with callipers of course 3-4k if not done, therefore if you buy a so called market price car as quoted, then you can end up paying more than if you pay over for a good one that’s had all jobs done.

That fact for me is why an enthusiast would see that, thus prepared to pay over market for the right car.

I don’t think the advise is mislead, but merely pointing out that most that come up need a big spend, the grey one for me does not, therefore justifies the current asking price.

All it will come down to in the end with that car is how long the seller is prepared to hold out.

Kenneth

Reaction score
I think you do talk a lot of sense Kerr, and I do respect your view and fact in your post.

For me though the problem is that most Rs that come up need money spending on them, the brakes alone can add with callipers of course 3-4k if not done, therefore if you buy a so called market price car as quoted, then you can end up paying more than if you pay over for a good one that’s had all jobs done.

That fact for me is why an enthusiast would see that, thus prepared to pay over market for the right car.

I don’t think the advise is mislead, but merely pointing out that most that come up need a big spend, the grey one for me does not, therefore justifies the current asking price.

All it will come down to in the end with that car is how long the seller is prepared to hold out.
The R is a different prospect to all the other Zs. You’ll need pretty deep pockets at times with those if you want to keep them going.
I was in the Lancia motor club for several years in the late 90s and much of the chat was around the place ntegrale. I had use isn’t one in the mid 90s for about 6 months from a French friend who had to go back home for a spell but wanted to leave his car here with me. It was absolutely brilliant to drive but it was getting into the age bracket of the R now. Maybe a bit younger. Think it was an 89 version. He eventually had to let go as the bills were piling up and it was Ferrari money to keep it on the road. Finding a workshop that cared or could do the work was an issue. There were a couple in England, one of whom made his name by advertising in the club magazine by shown by all the various hodges that had been done by others to the various cars he had in. The R is a similar beast. It’s not a regular road car and it’s not for back street guys to work on.
Some of the cars on offer no will have been bought by folk wanting a fast fun car without really caring that much. It will be thrashed and mined in. As these things age there’s more chance the prices drop and they fall into the hands of folk that want all the fun and none of the expense. They’ll end up cheaper. Or they’ll end up projects. Lots will leave the scene and the few that remain might end up sought after by collectors. Or maybe not as there is no real race story for these unlike the integrake.
But anyone buying one will need to know that at some stage big bills are coming.
I think they will become collectible eventually. Eventually….

but you never can tell. I wanted one. But I couldn’t find one anywhere yet was near enough to get a proper look and a proper think about it so I ducked out.
I still want one but I know more about them now than I did then thanks to this place. They are special cars all the same. And hats off to anyone who has one. You’re lucky

Claret63

Reaction score
I dread to think what the owner of the black one with low miles got for it, must have been a mad moment which I am sure they will regret.

That was a lot of car for the money, I don’t care what official guides say.

I think a bigger problem with the R moving forward will not be the cost of parts but availability, scrappers will become worth more in parts than the whole car itself.

M19YEA

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about the grey one with the extended warranty, the car looks good one to me, not too sure about the colour, and how good is the Peugeot warranty and what does it cover?
Is that the Edinburgh one?

Kerr

Reaction score

The market values are for good cars. Turn up at a dealer with a car needing maintenance and they deduct from the valuation.

Autotrader's price guide has also slumped. Their guide price for the £13,950 grey car is only £8750. They say that's at least £2160 more than part exchange and quick sale websites.

Autotrader's valuations were much higher last year. I'm not sure what is going on, but all the valuation sites have hit the R very hard.

Another thing to consider is insurance companies only pay out based on market values if the car is written off. It is probably sensible to take out an agreed valuation policy in the current market.

Is that the Edinburgh one?

The other grey one.

Last edited:

Claret63

Reaction score
The market values are for good cars. Turn up at a dealer with a car needing maintenance and they deduct from the valuation.

Autotrader's price guide has also slumped. Their guide price for the £13,950 grey car is only £8750. They say that's at least £2160 more than part exchange and quick sale websites.

Autotrader's valuations were much higher last year. I'm not sure what is going on, but all the valuation sites have hit the R very hard.

The other grey one.
You would have to be crazy or desperate to let that car go for £8750, I agree with Flanners earlier comments about dealers trying to control the market, we all know the government is trying to con us all to get into an electric car along with manufacturers, that to me is why prices are so called low.

Out of interest as yours is a daily how much longer do you plan to keep, or would it be worth locking away rather than accept a low price for it?

Kerr

Reaction score
You would have to be crazy or desperate to let that car go for £8750, I agree with Flanners earlier comments about dealers trying to control the market, we all know the government is trying to con us all to get into an electric car along with manufacturers, that to me is why prices are so called low.

Out of interest as yours is a daily how much longer do you plan to keep, or would it be worth locking away rather than accept a low price for it?

The electric car market is slumping as well. Electric car prices are falling faster than any other car. Manufacturers are losing money and stopping future production.

You can buy a preregistered Nissan Leaf for under £15,000. That is less than half the list price. Electric cars were very expensive, but there is now cheap electric cars on the used market and sales continue to fall.

I don't think values have ever been lower for the R. It would be the wrong time to sell, but sometimes people don't have the option.

Last edited:

Claret63

Reaction score
So the saga continues, another R has come to market on AT, 10k for what I would describe as a poor car, anyone buying the latest one can only look forward to large bills.

There will be a lot of these types of R/s coming up from now on, and they will only get cheaper as they will cost more to upkeep or repair than the cars value.

I still believe you have to pay good money for a good R if you want to enjoy the benefits of owning one, otherwise why bother?

Kerr

Reaction score
I can't believe a dealer has put up a car so badly prepared. The car looks a mess. The paint looks flat, the roof rails are the worst I've seen, and the tyres and wheels look a mess.

You can't accuse the dealer of trying to polish a turd. :)

I don't understand why they haven't cleaned the car up and gave it a good polish before putting it up for sale. It looks so tired.

The surprising thing is the dealer appears to know what they are selling. They know some of the key details about the R.

We all think that R is an enthusiasts car, but the vast majority of Rs that turn up for sale are not in good condition. Owners are not taking care of them.

The first cars that sell are the cheapest ones.

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Totally agreed with the comments on that particular R, the dealer can’t even be arsed vacuuming it or putting some air in the tyres, who would even entertain that one, shame as the R looks great in Black when polished to a high standard