What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Motor oil

Pedro

Reaction score
Yea good info most car oils are chemically enhanced anyway & contain cleaning additives Low saps 3 etc

Goodbye

Reaction score
I've seen here that the recommended oil is Total 5W30, but my mechanic is putting Total 5W40 in most PRINCE engine cars. Is this okay - longterm wise?

I've called around two or three garages and they all said 5W40 for the RCZ engine due to better long-term timing chain performance.

What do you guys recommend? Any bad experience with 5W40?
I dont thi that you can do much with ch ain with thic k de sign fw, and its nd snapen today, and some enave 2 chains...other don t have prob lems at all, so this ells a lot
I now that cap afterket chain instlled on 15 HP stretched af km and heran are mae for 30 grad oi
Cheers

Last edited:

NF7

Reaction score
All engines will consume oil when driven in high rpm, even 1 L per 1000 km, but as tolerance in new engines is lower, oil consumption in not as big as 20 years ago, for Hdi and THP engines 0w-30 or 5w-30 ineo line,both are long life motor oil, with very good aditives, 0w-30 ineo first is better quality and more expensive, as grade goes lower oil must be better quality to protect engine more, 0w-20 motor oils were being tested after 15.000 km and had same caracteristis as when they were new !
Latest motor oils are high quality, no need to change them before 15.000 km !
One that thinks different, plese put blanket on car in winter time so he doesnt catch cold lol
There is one thing that can get oil dirty and its regenaration at hdi engines because frequent regeneration of short trips, change oil at 15.000 km otherwise at 20.000 km
My recomendation 0w-30 Total Ineo first, very good portion of additives and very good base synthetic oil, same quality as any other brand, but has better price
And dont buy any other additives, they are NOT needed and will do no good if you have oil with additives in it !
Hope that helps,
Cheers
I cannot seem to find Total Ineo 0w-30 on the official Total Data Sheet: OUR FULLY SYNTHETIC RANGE

In the 0w30/0w40 I can only find Total Quartz 9000 Energy.

Also, are there any issues if I change it from 5W30 to 0W30 during regular maintenance? I know that some % of old oil remains in the car and have no idea about mixing the two.

Last edited:

Goodbye

Reaction score
I cannot seem to find Total Ineo 0w-30 on the official Total Data Sheet: OUR FULLY SYNTHETIC RANGE

In the 0w30/0w40 I can only find Total Quartz 9000 Energy.

Also, are there any issues if I change it from 5W30 to 0W30 during regular maintenance? I know that some % of old oil remains in the car and have no idea about mixing the two.
Nothing wrong,

Last edited:
Reactions: NF7

NF7

Reaction score
Nothing wrong, you can mix all grades of oil between them self, as long is same manufacturer, that means that you can top up oil with different oil grade from Total and in engine afer you drain oil, there is so little oil that it doesnt matter, even if you would left 0.5 l it would not matter...its oil not sand LOL
Cheers
Thanks for the explanation. It's my first car (that I bought myself) so I'm really treating it like it made of glass (inside and outside) :D

Marmite

Reaction score
Must have something wrong with my engine it doesn’t use a drop of oil between services an it gets driven .. putting it mildly where as a 207 I had used loads ?

NF7

Reaction score
Must have something wrong with my engine it doesn’t use a drop of oil between services an it gets driven .. putting it mildly where as a 207 I had used loads ?
Not necessarily. Lots have to do with driving style and also the maker of the oil. Some THP engines love some xyz motor oil and wont burn anything away. Nothing is wrong with THP engines using oil (mine uses around 1l every 5k km).

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Check the Handbook if you haven't one in mine it states 5w30 & as I have been using it for over 4 1/2 years with no issues I'll carry on using it so if your mileage is in the upper range that is my recommendation 0w30 can break down far too quickly in a HP turbo engine but the 5w30 is a slightly heavier viscosity & takes a lot longer to deteriorate & nearly all dealers stick 0w30 in because they buy in bulk at cheap prices & its mainly used in new vehicles to help the engines bed in properly
We’ve had this debate before and everyone has their views I’ve no problem with that but even in Europe Peugeot have given dealers revised specifics for the oil in the THP if owners want to ignore this then that’s up to them but I don’t think they’ve done it to move on a load of unused 0w-30 😁

Pedro

Reaction score
We’ve had this debate before and everyone has their views I’ve no problem with that but even in Europe Peugeot have given dealers revised specifics for the oil in the THP if owners want to ignore this then that’s up to them but I don’t think they’ve done it to move on a load of unused 0w-30 😁
Yea & but don't hold your breath it will more than likely come around the block again & again !😆

lekserok

Reaction score
I've seen here that the recommended oil is Total 5W30, but my mechanic is putting Total 5W40 in most PRINCE engine cars. Is this okay - longterm wise?

I've called around two or three garages and they all said 5W40 for the RCZ engine due to better long-term timing chain performance.

What do you guys recommend? Any bad experience with 5W40?
Better is 5w 30

Pedro

Reaction score
Takes longer to break down as its a slightly thicker viscosity which apparently allows for better engine protection & cooling according to the Manufacturer strange as it seems there are two grades listed for the Princes in my handbook its either 0w.30 or 5w.30 Quartz Ineo I prefer 5w.30 more importantly must be low saps 3 to keep the Engine oilways & internals clean

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Seeing as this thread is rambling on a bit, and the meat sucked off the bone, I thought I would chuck in a bit of nostalgic irrelevance.
My first motor, a 1938 Ford Ten side valve, kept the oil in its innards for such a short time that, in 1962, I bought reclaimed oil from a motor shop for five bob a gallon can.
That was fine for tootling about, but I used to race marshal at Snetterton, up toward Norwich.
So, heading North with a full can of dubious lubricant, we would stop about half way and tip a quarter of the can in.
Before setting off home, another quarter of a can, and same again half way.
By the time we reached the East End of London, it was ready to devour the remains of the can.
The journey was just over ninety miles each way.
A quick mental calculation results in an oil consumption figure of about two hundred miles per gallon; is this a record?