What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Motor oil

Pedro

Reaction score
I remember the winter of 62/63 never went to school for 4 weeks as all the roads were blocked & where we lived all the gardens had 3' high boundary hedges & the snow had drifted over the tops!:D

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
It certainly was a hard winter, even down in Lunun!
The old Ford had skinny wheels/tyres, and a starting handle.
Five bob was my going rate for a tow start of a modern no handle flat battery stuck neighbour.
They paid up, no probs, and were even amused that a clapped out six volt pre-war banger was not caught out by the weather.

MPC

Reaction score
On a roadtrip currently, and last week was the first time i noticed that my engine used a lot of oil, after running a full tank of octane 100 while doing 200kmh+ continuously on the autobahn, filled her up, then did a lot of driving through italy with slower speeds, and has thus far barely consumed any. It seems that load is very important on how much oil is used.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
On a roadtrip currently, and last week was the first time i noticed that my engine used a lot of oil, after running a full tank of octane 100 while doing 200kmh+ continuously on the autobahn, filled her up, then did a lot of driving through italy with slower speeds, and has thus far barely consumed any. It seems that load is very important on how much oil is used.
Yes, it is with this engine.
A very high speed run over 1000 km could result in up to 0.5 liter of total engine oil consumption on my R. But I knew it and did top up afterwards.
But again, it was only if I was doing 120-155MPH all the time.

Goodbye

Reaction score
Takes longer to break down as its a slightly thicker viscosity which apparently allows for better engine protection & cooling according to the Manufacturer strange as it seems there are two grades listed for the Princes in my handbook its either 0w.30 or 5w.30 Quartz Ineo I prefer 5w.30 more importantly must be low saps 3 to keep the Engine oilways & internals clean
Wrong, both have same viscosity, difference is only at cold start, 0W flows easier when cold, when engine heats up its same viscosity
As for quality Ineo first 0W-30 has better additives and base oil, its also more expensive, 5W-30 is also very good oil, there will be little difference in real life, both are long life motor oil
Cheers

Pedro

Reaction score
Wrong, both have same viscosity, difference is only at cold start, 0W flows easier when cold, when engine heats up its same viscosity
As for quality Ineo first 0W-30 has better additives and base oil, its also more expensive, 5W-30 is also very good oil, there will be little difference in real life, both are long life motor oil
Cheers
You obviously Know more than the Manufacturers then ? Only thing you missed off is 0W.30 drains off leaving the engine almost dry whereas 5W.30 will leave a sticky deposit from top to bottom!

Goodbye

Reaction score
You obviously Know more than the Manufacturers then ? Only thing you missed off is 0W.30 drains off leaving the engine almost dry whereas 5W.30 will leave a sticky deposit from top to bo

You obviously Know more than the Manufacturers then ? Only thing you missed off is 0W.30 drains off leaving the engine almost dry whereas 5W.30 will leave a sticky deposit from top to bottom!
When hot 5W-30 is like WATER and big difference between 5W-40, thats why racing oils are 5W-40, and no sticky deposit 5W-30 it just flows out like water, for your information quality of oils comes from base oil and almost all synthetic oils are not that, but chain of molecules that have better composition then oils that are labeled as mineral oil, only racing oils are real synthetic oils, better chain of molecules and oil will last longer as its harder to brake down, second additives play a large part for motor protection, more than base of oil, and 0W-30 has different additives and more of them, period !
This are facts, not some street talk, if you are offended, then dont answer, a lot of misleading things on forum, maybe its better that I dont post here anymore...
Cheers

2retro

Reaction score
Fancy having an argument about oil! It's black sticky stuff - Just use the one it says in the owners manual. There are more important things in life! 🤣

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
When hot 5W-30 is like WATER and big difference between 5W-40, thats why racing oils are 5W-40, and no sticky deposit 5W-30 it just flows out like water, for your information quality of oils comes from base oil and almost all synthetic oils are not that, but chain of molecules that have better composition then oils that are labeled as mineral oil, only racing oils are real synthetic oils, better chain of molecules and oil will last longer as its harder to brake down, second additives play a large part for motor protection, more than base of oil, and 0W-30 has different additives and more of them, period !
This are facts, not some street talk, if you are offended, then dont answer, a lot of misleading things on forum, maybe its better that I dont post here anymore...
Cheers
Oh dear!
P'raps the mods could change your id to "GoodBye".

NF7

Reaction score
Cheers
So what would you recommend in the end for the RCZ? 0w30 or 5w40? Not racing with the car, just looking to keep it running great. Keep in mind, my car is outside during the winter (temps here can go as low as -20C).

Pedro

Reaction score
I use 5w.30 low saps 3 its in my handbook so I will keep using it until I either die first or the car has run its lifespan & is scrapped whichever comes first ?
You could argue about the "Correct Engine oil" until your blue in the face but as quoted my engine runs smooth & pulls away like it was designed to so I don't care what other Z owners prefer its each to their own preferences

Pedro

Reaction score
Cheers
I forgot to mention my ex brother in law worked in a senior position for a major oil & petrol producer at the 2nd Largest refinery in Europe & what he didn't know about oil makes me look stupid?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
I remember the winter of 62/63 never went to school for 4 weeks as all the roads were blocked & where we lived all the gardens had 3' high boundary hedges & the snow had drifted over the tops!:D
Global warming’s put paid to them winters 😂😂

Woodso

Reaction score
Texaco was originally named The Texas Company, hence the star and T.