What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Max speed - at 5-th or 6-th gear?

Tomas_90

Reaction score
Yes "maxing out the revs in any gear". That doesn't mean there is no actual rev limiter on the car.... If i were to stamp on the throttle in 1st gear the car wouldn't rev to 12.000 RPM just because it can. Same goes with the diesel engines.

Why the limiter isn't the same in every gear on the diesel(auto?) is weird tho.

richard.au

Reaction score
Nah, not broken. Maybe the test car you had was restricted.

I'm telling you, there is no rev limiter. Nothing much can be added to that. :)

I'm also too busy partying for the weekend to look up ut clips. But there are dozens of them. Many show the tacho going to 6500 rpm, and the clip that I'll put up tomorrow. It shows the driver hitting 7000 regularly.

Till then.

A

Anonymous

richard.au said:
Nah, not broken. Maybe the test car you had was restricted.

I'm telling you, there is no rev limiter. Nothing much can be added to that. :)

I'm also too busy partying for the weekend to look up ut clips. But there are dozens of them. Many show the tacho going to 6500 rpm, and the clip that I'll put up tomorrow. It shows the driver hitting 7000 regularly.

Till then.

I believe you about the 7000 1/min because it could very well be that I was just under 7000 instead of the 6000 I wrote above. But there still IS a limiter. It's clearly noticeable. If not you could easily destroy the engine.

A

Anonymous

There is a rev limiter just over 6500rpm. If the car is warmed up properly i've seen it run clean to 6750, but never to 7000!

A

Anonymous

TomC said:
I believe you about the 7000 1/min because it could very well be that I was just under 7000 instead of the 6000 I wrote above. But there still IS a limiter. It's clearly noticeable. If not you could easily destroy the engine.

I had to drive my son back home, so I couldn't resist to enter the nearby German Autobahn and give it a try:

RCZ Revs Limiter Video

That's how a limiter sounds like in 3. gear

After the limiting I lifted the throttle a bit and slowly approached the maximum revs again, what of course sounds much less dramatic because the limiter has enough time to slowly adjust the engine.

Warning for the beginners: only do this when your car (or more precise, the engine oil) is properly warmed up.

Oh, and properly warming up doesn't mean letting the RCZ idle for 5 minutes, but really driving it for about 20 minutes and rev it up a bit for the last 5 minutes.

richard.au

Reaction score
:) I reckon this shows hitting 6800. The 'limiter' being, "there's just no more to give Jimmy" :)

maybe downhill with a tail wind, and low air pressure, you could squeeze out the last 200 rpm.

I'd even reckon the clip shows a '6850' at one stage... but that's me being optimistic :)

Enjoy the clip (It contributed to my decision to buy my rcz ;) )

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbamuNyKlnE&feature=fvsr[/youtube]

for those that don't get embedded, here's the link ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbamuNyKlnE&feature=fvsr

richard.au

Reaction score
TomC said:
TomC said:

I had to drive my son back home, so I couldn't resist to enter the nearby German Autobahn and give it a try:

RCZ Revs Limiter Video

That's how a limiter sounds like in 3. gear

After the limiting I lifted the throttle a bit and slowly approached the maximum revs again, what of course sounds much less dramatic because the limiter has enough time to slowly adjust the engine.

Warning for the beginners: only do this when your car (or more precise, the engine oil) is properly warmed up.

Oh, and properly warming up doesn't mean letting the RCZ idle for 5 minutes, but really driving it for about 20 minutes and rev it up a bit for the last 5 minutes.

Nice clip, I like the sound as well.

I made the post above, then checked your clip. I see what you're saying in that first rise to +6500. And as I mention above, I simply think there is nothing more to give. The tacho has that margin for a slight overflow, and maybe the electronics do some limiting, agreed. I'm not an engine engineer, but it seems to me any engine just reaches a physical limit due to capacity and fuel flow etc. In the end, I concede that you have a point on limiting. I tend to think it's at the optimum threshold though. Just IMO.

Anyway, seems the top speed I saw in the clip was 210 mph in 6th (200 in 5th). (and subtract some for the dodgy speedo reading).

Tomas_90

Reaction score
To prove Richard wrong! There is a limiter. Every single car made after 1985 or so that is fuel injected has one. Dont need an engineers degree to work that one out.

On my old carburetted Corolla from 1982 there was no limiter, it just revved until it had nothing more to give because fuel/air pressure ran out. Thats not an issue with fuel injected cars of today that happily revs until the pistons shoot out of the block if you let them.

A

Anonymous

Tomas_90 said:
To prove Richard wrong! There is a limiter. Every single car made after 1985 or so that is fuel injected has one. Dont need an engineers degree to work that one out.

On my old carburetted Corolla from 1982 there was no limiter, it just revved until it had nothing more to give because fuel/air pressure ran out. Thats not an issue with fuel injected cars of today that happily revs until the pistons shoot out of the block if you let them.

Okay good to know the only car l revved out on and quite often was my typeR :lol:

A

Anonymous

Sorry Tom but l like me ecoboost engine a lot thanks very much lol :) but you guys carry on l am not into high speed pursuits lol l just like to cruise

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
l just like to cruise

Then I wonder why you, well, at least since I joined the forum, mentioned at least a dozen times that the RCZ is "not a drivers car" :eusa-think:

It certainly is one, but you can't judge it by cruising around.

A

Anonymous

TomC said:
jassyo06 said:
l just like to cruise

Then I wonder why you, well, at least since I joined the forum, mentioned at least a dozen times that the RCZ is "not a drivers car" :eusa-think:

In Top Gear South Africa Magazine, they list the THP200 as "The Enthusiasts Choice" :cool:

A

Anonymous

TomC said:
jassyo06 said:
l just like to cruise

Then I wonder why yTom well, at least since I joined the forum, mentioned at least a dozen times that the RCZ is "not a drivers car" :eusa-think:

Not again ....lol l am going to take the 5th amendment on this drivers car debate

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
TomC said:
jassyo06 said:
l just like to cruise

Then I wonder why yTom well, at least since I joined the forum, mentioned at least a dozen times that the RCZ is "not a drivers car" :eusa-think:

Not again ....lol l am going to take the 5th amendment on this drivers car debate

You want me to make you another video?

A

Anonymous

The highest speed at rev limited 6700 is 251 kmh but only downhill in Theory

A

Anonymous

Sorry 252 kmh would be
248kmh on GPS even though on cruise control it says 254 kmh on speedometer