What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Living with a RACECHIP!

Stu8

Reaction score
Jh72i said:
Hi, Stu8, you misunderstand - this was part of the race chip online purchase process. I'm nowhere near the installation stage :|

But thank you for these early tips - believe me I need them & also, believe me, I will proceed with extreme caution whenever the installation process starts.

Hey also thank you 2retro - I might have gotten a small discount :thumbup:
Sorry for the confusion I obviously miss read your part of the thread, I hope what I've said so far is helpful and when I get some time I'll post a couple of pics of my install , as I said the only little difficult part was getting to the sensor under the air box every thing else is very easy, so there is really nothing to worry about. :thumbup:

Jh72i

Reaction score
Racechip finally arrived today (yes, took a seriously long time). Now my thoughts turn to installation - I would love to find an idiots guide for rcz but google so far hasn't thrown anything up. Anyone happen to have a link saved?

Stu8

Reaction score
Jh72i said:
Racechip finally arrived today (yes, took a seriously long time). Now my thoughts turn to installation - I would love to find an idiots guide for rcz but google so far hasn't thrown anything up. Anyone happen to have a link saved?
What racechip did you buy? I have the rs chip installed in my 200 thp.

Jh72i

Reaction score
Can't believe all these months have passed. I still haven't gotten around to installation but now my summer holidays begin i hope to. Besides time i also had a few issues which kind of backed me off - eventually the high pressure fuel pump was replaced.

Anyway, I'm still looking for 'the absolute idiots' guide if anyone knows of one. Weird that i cannot find any on the internet.

Example of why i will struggle: i just read the installation guide that came with the chip and all seems reasonable connecting cables A and B but there is no mention of cable C. I have sent an email to RaceChip.

Mines a RS and the car is 200bhp.

A

Anonymous

I made the big mistake in buying one of those race chips for my RCZ it was fine for about 4 months and then the car used to keep going into limp mode in the end took it to her a car mapping place in Essex they checked it and found that it was being caused by the racechip they advised me to get rid of it or get the car remapped properly so I decided to get them to do it and I was blown away buy the car's performance it was like night and day from what it used to be like I highly recommend getting the car mapped properly and the actual product that I bought was actually made by racechip it's the one you're fit into your car plug-in and play they call them.

Jh72i

Reaction score
ONLY AEK said:

Yes, i have thank you. I have some extra cables than are not shown there. But i think i can put it all together - stu8 spoke of green, red and blue and mine aren't marked with any colours but i think it might help me. Annoyingly, RaceChip haven't responded to my question.

davidace007 said:
I made the big mistake in buying one of those race chips....

This is one of the reasons i am hesitant - will i, won't i. I suppose there are always those cases which don't go well - i have read similar tales of woe from remaps. Maybe i should just be happy with the performance i'm getting but, i have to admit, i just feel this car had more to give.

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
Remap is the Best solution

Dont be afraid Nothing Will Go wrong

Jh72i

Reaction score
RaceChip installed. Car goes like stink - don't know if it's some kind of placebo effect but..wow!!

Without the help of a racechip online support fellow in South Africa(!!) I would have had a much tougher time - big thanks to him & boo to the more local RaceChip folks who still haven't responded to my query.

I took pictures so, assuming they're ok, I will post instructions on here when I get a chance.

French Letter

Reaction score
For my 207cc Sport THP150, I ordered the RaceChip. It arrived with instructions but the plugs were incompatible. :thumbdown: Even when in my email to them I stipulated which car it was for. The forkers sent a Mini install instruction.

Sent it back to them to get my $600 back. Cost to me of $45 to register priority hand deliver mail. They said they never received it! German post office confirmed that it was signed for at delivery. And communication was atrocious service. They were a**holes.

Luckily through PayPal, I got all my money back. So once bitten, well, never again. Anyhow, the thought of those RaceChip dudes making even higher polluting diesel power outputs when VW/Audi had fooled everyone.

btw: What is the price difference between RaceChip and etuners?

Anyhow no chip for my RCZ. Most likely puts out 220 bhp anyhow. :ugeek:

Cheers.

s0crates

Reaction score
Installed a racechip RS on my thp 200 as well... I can't really feel any difference tbh, unless I made some mistake during installation. But I doubt that, since I would get an engine fault. If you guys could post pictures/instructions that would be great.

I tried the different presets 4,5 and 6. With 6, the car's radiator fan goes crazy as soon as I start the car, so I had to take it down to preset 4.

I don't know, the RS chip is supposed to give 30 bhp and 67Nm torque, and I just don't feel that at all.. What do you guys think?

French Letter

Reaction score
I am aware that some punters 'experience', with these aftermarket chips, a difference; but you also need to add in the 'placebo' factor . . . After all spending 300 quid, you 'make' yourself feel a difference.

Check this out. It will scare, or surprise, or infuriate you. :helpme: Or even make you roll over with laughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGtImIP6j3A

The only good thing in that was the gorgeous Honda S2000.
and that it is an Aussie video. :beer:

Cheers.

s0crates

Reaction score
Huh, indeed don't know what to make of that.. Then again that's a Chinese $20 chip vs a customized German one.
Don't want to take the car to a dyno again (did it before buying the chip, and it gave 200bhp), so I guess I'll need to wait a bit and then make a decision to keep it or send it back.

Some folks in the comments of various videos say you need to run the car for about 200km before the chip starts performing. Is that even a valid claim?

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
It was entertaining, but a bit silly, I thought, to expect anything for that sort of money. :sleeping-yellow:
A similar test of the likes of the Race Chip product costing over ten times that, might have been useful. :thumbup:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
s0crates said:
Some folks in the comments of various videos say you need to run the car for about 200km before the chip starts performing. Is that even a valid claim?

Bollocks. If an engine is mapped correctly, you sense a difference from the moment you turn the engine on. It works differently. The sound changes, even at idle.
In your case with a claimed hike of about 30 ponies and some 70 Nm you should actually feel it when driving. 70 Nm on the plus side is a considerable add on to the acceleration punch. So when you feel nothing, then there is nothing. Or way less than claimed.

s0crates

Reaction score
Yea well like I said, don't want to run the car through dyno again just for this. I don't feel that extra 70Nm, so I think I'm going to ask for my 249 pounds back.

Nemi

Reaction score
s0crates said:
Yea well like I said, don't want to run the car through dyno again just for this. I don't feel that extra 70Nm, so I think I'm going to ask for my 249 pounds back.
Do dyno run for science :) It would be interesting to know actual results with racechip installed.

French Letter

Reaction score
I had to get a PayPal dispute process ignited to get my money back from those RaceChip bustards. They were absolute shockers.

Get your money back quick and forget about this stuff. I did.

When you think of the $millions car manufacturers invest in their software systems, then along comes RaceChip to extract money from a trusting punter, for minuscule difference, (if any from some reports), it reeks of manipulation. These German RaceChips even produced more crud from stock 'adulterated' diesel engines from VW/Audi. How much was VW fined for its dodgy chip deception? $Billions, and rightly so.

Personally, I now stay away from this stuff. I'm content with the power from my THP200, and keep the engine well tuned. Like 98RON, new spark plugs every 20,000 kilometers, even a free flow air filter (K&N) can make you feel like you've got a three hundred quid RaceChip under the bonnet, or is that my placebo effect? I knew a dude once, who had a Veyron and still was looking around for an after-market chip to make it more faster . . . :wtf:

For three hundred quid, take yourself to Spain and lie in the sun. Or better still, hoof it to Amsterdam and chill all day long in the 'coffee shops'.

2retro

Reaction score
I've got the 30bhp 'S' one in mine and it definitely makes a difference so yes, it does work.

It's only an extra 30 brake though so it's not going to suddenly give Veyron-like acceleration but I've tested it on the different settings and there is definitely a marked difference between stock tune (setting 0) and the others (think mine is set on 3 or 4 but would have to check) + with Super Unleaded fuel as well it feels like around 200ish bhp now. :dance:

French Letter

Reaction score
I think it is a 'boy racer' product, which RaceChip are making money from.

Then why does not Peugeot offer one?

Answer: Warrenty Returns, limp mode, no difference in power, fans operating continuously, engine check codes. Or if you are lucky you might find one that 'might' work, like you have. The jury is out for me.

Nah, not for me folks.