What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Front bumper stone chips

RCZ1

Reaction score
There's something seriously wrong here. If you didn't see all these stone chips when you picked it up 3 weeks ago then there is only one solution. The dealership has used some very heavy fillers to mask these stone chips, which is a temporary solution. As soon as you have washed the car a couple times at the most, then the filler is removed to reveal the true condition of the paint. If the car had been resprayed, they wouldn't be showing like this after 3 weeks. If the bumper had been resprayed, then the paint readings would be quite a lot higher than the rest of the car but I think that can be discounted here.

I've had 2 red cars in the past and had a few stone chips, mainly from Gritters, but nothing on this scale.

You need to go back to your dealer and specifically ask for a full and proper respray of the bonnet/front bumper.

Sorry to hear of your recent problems with your RCZ and I hope you get your problems sorted out to your satisfaction.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
There's something seriously wrong here. If you didn't see all these stone chips when you picked it up 3 weeks ago then there is only one solution. The dealership has used some very heavy fillers to mask these stone chips, which is a temporary solution. As soon as you have washed the car a couple times at the most, then the filler is removed to reveal the true condition of the paint. If the car had been resprayed, they wouldn't be showing like this after 3 weeks. If the bumper had been resprayed, then the paint readings would be quite a lot higher than the rest of the car but I think that can be discounted here.

I've had 2 red cars in the past and had a few stone chips, mainly from Gritters, but nothing on this scale.

You need to go back to your dealer and specifically ask for a full and proper respray of the bonnet/front bumper.

Sorry to hear of your recent problems with your RCZ and I hope you get your problems sorted out to your satisfaction.

Jesus.....

I knew there was no way the bumper could get this chipped up in 3 weeks. I have done less than 1000 miles since I bought it.

It's funny you said about the fillers removed after washing - I didn't notice any chips at all until I power hosed the car and washed it.

I am going to pull a terminator in the dealership tomorrow. Not a happy boy. Yes, it's not a new car, but it still cost a lot of money and this is boll**ks

A

Anonymous

Wish the car wasn't going into the body shop tomorrow cuz I really want to dump it on the forecourt at the dealership and create a stink.

A

Anonymous

Willfox1983 said:
Wish the car wasn't going into the body shop tomorrow cuz I really want to dump it on the forecourt at the dealership and create a stink.
Do it then ;)

A

Anonymous

Chuzzbutt said:
Willfox1983 said:
Do it then ;)

hi Chuzzbutt,

I see you have one the same colour as me - I trust your front bumper isn't like mine?!

A

Anonymous

Just to confirm how bad it is, here is the other side of the bumper

Attachments

• chips2.jpg
    chips2.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 1,640
A

Anonymous

I maintain my believe this car was well and truly ragged by the previous owner and a botch job undertaken to tidy it up for selling purposes. It is for this reason that I avoid buying second hand cars, as I wouldn't have a clue as to what to look out for, but a bumper doesn't go from good condition to that in three weeks.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
I maintain my believe this car was well and truly ragged by the previous owner and a botch job undertaken to tidy it up for selling purposes. It is for this reason that I avoid buying second hand cars, as I wouldn't have a clue as to what to look out for, but a bumper doesn't go from good condition to that in three weeks.

If the dealership refuse to respray it, I will be strategically placing the car in a position which prevents it from being towed and also prevents the garage from operating until I move it. I will cause havoc. Bar stewards.

A

Anonymous

To be honest i would jot down anything you want to say and ask to meet directly with the GM of the dealership. If you can keep a cool head (difficult on these situations sometimes I know), you'll find they generally they will try hard to resolve any issues. After all...they rely on word of mouth and hope for your return custom. No harm in dropping that into conversation...especially if they are a location site. I would strongly recommend that you follow everything up with a letter of complaint highlighting your discontent and litany of issue directly to the GM. That way you have a hard copy of your actions and can use a copy of this should you need to escalate things to a higher level.

A

Anonymous

This was what the bumper looked like 3 weeks ago.

Attachments

• bumperatpurchase.jpg
    bumperatpurchase.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 1,630

RCZ1

Reaction score
Willfox1983 said:
[

Jesus.....

It's funny you said about the fillers removed after washing - I didn't notice any chips at all until I power hosed the car and washed it.

There's your answer, right there I'm afraid. Dealers up and down the country, whatever marque, do this, to one degree or another.
You are not alone. :(

A

Anonymous

Willfox1983 said:
Hi Willfox, I don't have stone chips like that, have done 4.5k miles since I've had her, and there's 7.5k on the clock although I did do this yesterday which I'm not very happy about but I'll have to pay out so feel your pain.

A

Anonymous

Chuzzbutt said:
Willfox1983 said:
Hi Willfox, I don't have stone chips like that, have done 4.5k miles since I've had her, and there's 7.5k on the clock although I did do this yesterday which I'm not very happy about but I'll have to pay out so feel your pain.

Ouch!

I hit the back bumper on a wall at the weekend because the parking sensors didn't give me a solid beep. Another thing the car is going in to the garage for. I'm getting that fixed at a body shop tomorrow then it's going into the dealer on thursday

A

Anonymous

OK, an update:

Took the car to an independent body shop today. They said it looks like the chips have been filled in temporarily or a quick coverup job has been done with a water based paint....and as soon as I jet washed the car, the true condition of the paintwork is revealed.

Took that information to the dealership, they said they're going to check it out tomorrow when they fix all the other problems. But what they did say, was that if what the body shop have said is true, it is a big issue for them too, because they contract all their paint jobs to a third party, so they'll be raising the riot act with them.

In hindsight, with them saying that, I'm assuming the car came to the in the condition it's in now, and they thought the paintwork had been fixed.

Anyway, I will see what they say tomorrow.

If worst comes to the worst, the body shop I took it to today said they can fix it for around £200, which will include a much stronger lacquer to prevent it chipping easily in the future. Still, that's more expense that I didn't want, and don't think I should be paying 3 weeks after buying the car.

A

Anonymous

Willfox1983 said:
OK, an update:

Took the car to an independent body shop today. They said it looks like the chips have been filled in temporarily or a quick coverup job has been done with a water based paint....and as soon as I jet washed the car, the true condition of the paintwork is revealed.

Took that information to the dealership, they said they're going to check it out tomorrow when they fix all the other problems. But what they did say, was that if what the body shop have said is true, it is a big issue for them too, because they contract all their paint jobs to a third party, so they'll be raising the riot act with them.

In hindsight, with them saying that, I'm assuming the car came to the in the condition it's in now, and they thought the paintwork had been fixed.

If worst comes to the worst, the body shop I took it to today said they can fix it for around £200, which will include a much stronger lacquer to prevent it chipping easily in the future. Still, that's more expense that I didn't want, and don't think I should be paying 3 weeks after buying the car.

If you're not happy with it then don't accept it and make them aware that if it happens again then you will e billing then for the work to be correctly carried out.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Willfox1983 said:
OK, an update:

If you're not happy with it then don't accept it and make them aware that if it happens again then you will e billing then for the work to be correctly carried out.

I want it resprayed properly. I won't be happy until they do that. I made that clear today.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Yes fillers all the way..... i'm afraid:(

I would tell your dealer that you want the respray doing at the body shop you have found and that the bill will be sent to them, as you are very dissatisfied with the first attempt that their body shop's attempts

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:

I would tell your dealer that you want the respray doing at the body shop you have found and that the bill will be sent to them, as you are very dissatisfied with the first attempt that their body shop attempted.
Great idea!

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:

I would tell your dealer that you want the respray doing at the body shop you have found and that the bill will be sent to them, as you are very dissatisfied with the first attempt that their body shop's attempts

That is a good idea, I will suggest that tomorrow. Thanks.