What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Dreaded WM groan.....

A

Anonymous

Mentioned the WM groan today whilst getting my new quads fitted.
New ones ordered and should be ready for fitting next week. No questions asked just a explanation of the problem with the water getting into the motor.
Excellent service yet again from Swansway Peugeot Chester :grin:

A

Anonymous

Ian68 said:
Mentioned the WM groan today whilst getting my new quads fitted.
New ones ordered and should be ready for fitting next week. No questions asked just a explanation of the problem with the water getting into the motor.
Excellent service yet again from Swansway Peugeot Chester :grin:

Where are the pics of your RCZ's new and even sexier booty?

A

Anonymous

mrizzle I've posted them on the quad exhaust topic. :grin:

A

Anonymous

So just got back from the dealer who checked out my creaky mirrors, straight forward and no hassle ,2 new mirror mechanisms on order.
Apparently there's no need to change the whole exterior of mirror, thus avoiding re-painting, which I really did not want done.
The tech guy said there's also a modification that is done to seals inside the mirror when re-assembling the new mechanism to allow water to drain from inside, this is the cause of the corroding inside, water cannot drain out of the mirrors.

They also checked out the air con, but found no fault, so they will do another check when the car goes in for the mirrors and top up the gas if necessary but also put what the fitter called a "bomb" into the system to clean everything out .

I have to say, I just cannot fault the whole Peugeot service department team at Days of Swansea, top guys. :clap:

Hatman

Reaction score
The mod that my dealership had was, 'drill a hole in the bottom', which we laughed about. They ordered new ones without hesitation, took two weeks. You are correct in saying that the mirrors can be taken apart and the original covers swapped. The technician did this on mine, as previously stated in another mirror related post.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Good service there Jactac although I have to say the improvement to the mirror seals will not stop water dripping from your mirrors I'm afraid.

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

K,
I think the idea is to try and prevent the alloy mechanism from corroding, hence the white residue and creaking/groaning.
The technician said the bad design of the seals is actually holding the water inside the casing and around the mechanism, rather than let it flow more freely out and away from these parts that are likely to corrode inside the casing.
He said once the alloy mechanism has started to be affected by water you get the same sort of problems as a damaged alloy wheel that has started to blister under the lacquer, not actually rusting but giving off this white powder type of stuff that we can see staining the paint work.
From what I can gather the modification to the seal helps to take away as much water from the mechanism as possible, this is probably why Hatmans dealer suggested drilling a hole in the bottom of the mirror.

Basically the water needs to get out and not stay inside the mirror, causing this ongoing problem to the alloy parts.

t110jim

Reaction score
If I remember correctly the mirror assembly comes in nine pieces the main issue with the metal casting is it is bare metal the tech at the dealership I go to painted them to try to stop any corrosion starting hopefully this will work as the modified seal just has a slit in it to let the water out oh sunny Scotland

A

Anonymous

Had mine originally booked in for last Friday, but re arranged for this Friday to get my alloys replaced at the same time.

Mirrors weren't even painted so no new mirrors, despite them saying it would get done today! Wonder what would have happened last Friday :eusa-think:

Anyhow, now booked in for next Saturday and I have the managers' personal number. I was raging to day the least!

A

Anonymous

Dand,
Is it at your request to paint the replacement mirrors ?
I only ask because if you need new mirror mechanism they can definitely be opened up without having to replace the whole outer case, hence no need to be painted.

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Dand,
I only ask because if you need new mirror mechanism they can definitely be opened up without having to replace the whole outer case, hence no need to be painted.

No, that is what Peugeot authorised and said to do. I would have preferred to keep my mirrors as they are, just fix the groan please.

renegade79

Reaction score
Hmmmm, both my mirrors have started making the dreaded rubbing noise. At first it wasn't too bad but it's gotten worse. I think a trip to dealer on Monday is in order. The car is 2011 so it should be covered under warranty. Seems to be plenty of members on here facing similar issues with this wing mirror design!

A

Anonymous

dand87 said:
jactac said:
Dand,

No, that is what Peugeot authorised and said to do. I would have preferred to keep my mirrors as they are, just fix the groan please.

Mine is going in next week for both to be done and my concern was that I would end up with 2 newly painted mirrors, which I really did NOT want.
Thankfully the dealer said they take apart the mirrors and just replace all the workings inside and do some sort of mod to the seals, then re-assemble with the original casing.
The technician at the dealer said it's a longer job as every thing has to come apart, but it saves having paint work done, which can be a bit hit & miss or have problems further down the line, and therefore they try to avoid doing it and keep everything that is visual on the outside original.

He actually said there is a plastic tool that is specific for opening up the casing ?
Probably just a sharpened plastic spoon from the canteen :roll:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
dand87 said:
jactac said:
Dand,

He actually said there is a plastic tool that is specific for opening up the casing ?
Probably just a sharpened plastic spoon from the canteen :roll:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: Very probably! :lol::lol:

A

Anonymous

renegade79 said:
Hmmmm, both my mirrors have started making the dreaded rubbing noise. At first it wasn't too bad but it's gotten worse. I think a trip to dealer on Monday is in order. The car is 2011 so it should be covered under warranty. Seems to be plenty of members on here facing similar issues with this wing mirror design!

Seems to first materialise when it's dry and warm and unfortunately stays! Will need to get down to the dealer I'm afraid!

A

Anonymous

Yeah mine is the same, creaky & groaning after dry weather. :eusa-think:

renegade79

Reaction score
Just back from dealer and I'm not happy! Peugeot Ireland's manufacturers warranty lasts only for 2 years and my car is 2011. Bill for replacing both wing mirrors due to seized motors €1,500. Annoyed is more like it! :(

A

Anonymous

Ouch! 2 years is shocking :eek:

I'd try some of the other suggestions on how to fix, such as BigMac's. Maybe you could suggest they replace the motors only (think they have done this for someone else with this issue) rather than the whole mirrors, unsure if this would be cheaper though?

Getting mine done tomorrow (finally!), didn't realise how expensive it was (even when converted to £), but I suppose it is two brand new power fold mirrors plus labour.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
Just back from dealer and I'm not happy! Peugeot Ireland's manufacturers warranty lasts only for 2 years and my car is 2011. Bill for replacing both wing mirrors due to seized motors €1,500. Annoyed is more like it! :(

Does it say two years in your service book? As I thought they were all three years :?

On the last page of this, it does say 2 years, but it also says plus an additional year :?

http://www.peugeot.ie/media/deliacms/me ... 4f6d93.pdf