What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Chiptuning an THP200

A

Anonymous

Well obviously I remove the tuning box, because as you have previously stated if I don't then the engine/dive train assembly warranty will be voided :!: :!:
Also it is precisely because of your comments in paragraphs 2 and 4 that I choose to run tune up boxes as ALL manufacturers over engineer their components to some degree (Obviously some more than others in the case of your Audi ) Also I wont be using cheap fuel and I will be having it seviced correctly etc.
Lets not forget there are other reasons why manufacturers limit performance on their engines, and this is often with regards to emissions and or in some countries power outputs to achieve certain tax bandings :thumbup:

AndyH

A

Anonymous

I agree that there is often reasons that manufacturers back off the power, the classic example was the BMW Mini where the only difference between a One and a Cooper in terms of power was the map.

BUT the action of fitting the box voids the warranty. Removing the box doesnt reinstate the warranty it simply makes it more difficult for the manfacturer to work out what you have done.

Scenario for you....

Your car develops an engine fault, you remove the box, car goes to dealers and is found to need a new engine. Dealer asks if car has been modified.

Do you:

a) say yes , the car has been running with 20% more bhp than standard but this has no effect on reliability whatsoever and be prepared to prove this if neccesary with back up from the box maker

b) deny the car had been modified to benefit from several thousand pounds worth of warranty claim thereby obtaining goods and services by deception.

If the box causes no issues does the maker offer to warrant the voided components or do they simply keep telling you its really easy to remove it and say nothing to tranfer responsibility for their product to someone else?

A

Anonymous

The company I have used on previous cars does offer its own warranty.So any claim would have been made against them not the relevant manufacturer.
Having said that the law is not as clear cut as you state in your point a) and point b)
Andy H

A

Anonymous

The company I have used on previous cars does offer its own warranty.So any claim would have been made against them not the relevant manufacturer.
Having said that the law is not as clear cut as you state in your point a) and point b)
Andy H

A

Anonymous

Agreed it was a bit of an extreme example given to crystalise the issue but the point is valid.

You have found a good company who are prepaired to stand by their work.

Many dont and dont tell consumers what they could be in for.

Regards

Marcus

A

Anonymous

RCZGT200 said:
My Audi quattro has been chipped from 220bhp to 262bhp with an additional 75 lb/ft. I dont have a problem with this as the engine can run 400bhp without internal mods and the drivetrain is easily capable of taking 500+bhp in standard form :dance: I dont have warranty issues as its warranty ran out 19 years ago :mrgreen:

These engine have been running in Minis anyway at well above 220Bhp safely (My firend has a JCW thats been pushing over 230Bhp for nearly two years now hitch free) .. but then again thats not done post ECU so will inevitably be more reliable since the map that the ECU deals with is reflecting the real driving conditions.

Tuning boxes work ( I had one on my ZT CDTi ) but I always felt like they were the little devil sitting on the shoulder of the engine.. saying something like this... (in a stereotypical irish accent for effect)

"is that all you can manage? ho ho come an my son.. to be shure a little bit more wont hurt" :beer:
So you push the engine for more juice after the ECU has decided what is the best.

At least when you remap the ECU everything is working more umm harmoniously :lol:

possibly the most long winded opinion ever but ah well! :lol:

A

Anonymous

hi
i have rcz 200thp.
i want to buy chiptuning remap my ecu to 252thp.185kw 349nm for german .but i scary for my engine.
what can i do?
sry for my english i am from cyprus

A

Anonymous

Nothing, if you are sorrowful for your engine, because there ist a risk.

But if not, there is a german tuner called musketier.

doc

A

Anonymous

hi again,
if i put the chip on and when i have to take the car for sevice or anything else to the authorized dealer taking off the chip they will found it on the ecu that i tuned the car?
best regard's

A

Anonymous

Yes. A remap will change the data stored on the ECU so if the dealer checks it will flag up you are running a non standard configuration.

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
Yes. A remap will change the data stored on the ECU so if the dealer checks it will flag up you are running a non standard configuration.

And its most likely that the remap will be wiped out if the dealer does a software update on the car

A

Anonymous

Hi folks!

I had my RCZ THP200 on a dyno recently and surprise, it´s stock power was already 216HP.
Then we modyfied the ECU and it´s doing 236HP now.
I can´t share much experience right now for it is winter and my RCZ still sits on it´s summer rubber. But first time impression shows a very good driveability and stock fuel consumption. :thumbup:

Cheers
Lui

A

Anonymous

The only way not to loose warranty is through official tuners which there are none for peugeot.

A

Anonymous

i remaping my rcz 200thp with racechip and he broken my engine.1-2-3 weeks the car he go very fast but 4 week the problems was started

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
Always better to work with an engine rather than fool it post ECU. Fair enough on old Skool DERVs which have stronger engines than the petrols but when you try to "tune cheap" you take the reliability in your own hands.

evorcz said:
i remaping my rcz 200thp with racechip and he broken my engine.1-2-3 weeks the car he go very fast but 4 week the problems was started

Sorry to hear that evorcz :( guess it proves the points mentioned earlier which is unfortunate :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Well i've read every thread here so far, with interest and it was an eye opener, there's chips, mapps, box's, fancy fuel, AND VOIDED WARRANTIES

So my advice is:
LEAVE THE CAR AS IT IS, COS IT LOOKS BLOODY AWSOME AND DRIVES LIKE A DREAM, WHY FIDDLE AND MEDDLE EH ? :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
So my advice is:
LEAVE THE CAR AS IT IS, COS IT LOOKS BLOODY AWSOME AND DRIVES LIKE A DREAM, WHY FIDDLE AND MEDDLE EH ? :thumbup:
:text-bravo: :text-goodpost:

A

Anonymous

Well done above leave the car alone,the 200 version is fast enough,but if Superchips will Bluefin it i may change my mind.

A

Anonymous

Thats it though there is a correct way to do things and this takes time, effort and more expense and a wrong way. If its was as simple as bolting in a few resistors in a plastic box to your engine It would be done from the factory.

A

Anonymous

If it WAS simple & cheap, then it would be done at the factory, there's obviously very good reasons why manufacturers stick to parameters, so leave well alone eh !