What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Chiptuning an THP200

A

Anonymous

Got mine back today from Musketier http://www.musketier.de/index.php and finally these are the results! :mrgreen:

Today there was no chance to test ist, because of the bad weatherconditions, but I think the datasheet looks nice!

doc

Attachments

• RCZ_Musketier_001_Klein.jpg
    RCZ_Musketier_001_Klein.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 3,301
A

Anonymous

Hi doc

Datasheet looks really great. I hope you share your experience soon.
By the way. Is it a plug in tuning or reprogrammed car ECU? And are you using Super plus (98ROZ) fuel now?

Cheers
Lui

A

Anonymous

Hi Lui,
It is an OBD-Tuning (same Chip, new Software, especially developed for this car), and I ever used 102 Oktan fuel for my RCZ and will go on in future.

doc

FGRob

Reaction score
How do you get around the emission issue with regard to chipping - especially at your yearly testing (MOT here in the UK), we are just seeing some of the EU rules coming into the UK and chipping is an area that will be focused on.

Rob

A

Anonymous

Hello Rob, emission will not become worth with the Chiptunig, the resulting data are potentially better than before. Ulmost by doing a chiptuning with a diesel-engine the soot formation may be worse.
So there is no problem with an RCZ THP 200 at the 2-yearly-testing (TÜV) in Gemany to be expected.

doc

A

Anonymous

Most of the comments I've heard about this chip are related to the damage you can be doing to your engine/gearbox/whatever sensible part because they are not ready for that boost.

Can you add something about this? It can be interesting...

A

Anonymous

Musketier does not use a new Chip! It is an OBD-Chiptuning! They install a new optimized software to the ECU!
There is a difference between the cheap but not especially for the RCZ developed low-key tuning-chips and a more expensive sophisticated OBD-Tuning. The OBD-tuning does not burst all limits, it ranges in the tolerance of the engine. gearbox and the turbocharger. It might be possible to get 260 up to 280 hp from that little RCZ-engine, but than you are definitely off limits and you will get high risk and short fun.
Anyway there is more risk for your equipment with an obd-tuning than without. If you everyday demand the more power you have from your engine, it will produce higher wear than without tuning, it is evertime the same: no risk no fun!

But if you drive your car ordinary, you do not need the more power in daily routine. If you need the more power you are able to run a "fast lap".

I have driven a 407 Coupe 2.7 HDI before the RCZ, it was tuned by Musketier (they are primarily specializing in PSA-Cars) from originally 204 hp to 242 hp and produces 530 Nm of torque. I moved this car for 4 years (about 160.000 km) and did not realize any problem with engine, turbocharger or automatic gearbox. Anyway it might happen to the next car, that is the risk.
But again: no risk no fun! If you go to the racetrack with your car every day, you definitely will have more wear and tear!
Any tuning requires a sense of discipline from the driver. There are two sides to every question.

doc

A

Anonymous

Remapping the ECU as long as within tolerences is OK the issue is that it invalidates the warranty from Peugeot and also can invalidate your insurance. I know people that have crashed their cars and upon inspection the insurers always check the ECU and they refused to pay out as the modification increases performance hence a new premium based on the new spec is needed...Beware

A

Anonymous

Hello adrian,

you are absolutely right!

In Germnay you have to have a special Vehicle Type Approval by the tuner (Musketier), with this you must arrange a demonstration at the "TÜV", than it is legal. Further on you have to inform your insurance about the tuning.

And there ist a special warranty which is offered by the tuner Musketier, you have to buy because of loosing partly the warranty from PUG.
If you do not it is on your own risk.
As you can see, it is not a cheap way, but a funny!

doc

A

Anonymous

Will the new map be over written when you take the car to the Peugeot dealer for its service and they "update" the software through the OBD port? :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Answer is yes. They will identify you have changed the mapping and may cancel your warranty and if they continue with the service will overwrite the mapping. As the thread indicates it's about risk...these are

1. If you remap then the liklehood is you loose any warranty
2. You will need your car serviced outside of the main dealership as they will overwrite the mapping
3. If you fail to inform insurers (who will need to adjust your premium upwards) they can invalidate your insurance

I know someone who had a remapped BMW 530d who crashed it when 3 months old. As he had remapped the insurers have refused to pay out and he is currently £30K out of pocket

A

Anonymous

Figo said:
Will the new map be over written when you take the car to the Peugeot dealer for its service and they "update" the software through the OBD port? :eusa-think:

Yes, it will happen, but by the service of the tuner they will correct it again without costs. (up to three times a year)
Another possibility is to ask your dealer to confer with you before updating.

The local dealer has in fact no possibility to realize your mofified software if he is not specialized in tuning.

doc

A

Anonymous

Hi Doc,

Sorry to disagree with you but dealers most definitely can tell if a car has been re-mapped/re-flashed.That is why I would only ever consider an in-line tuning box as these make no changes to the ECU and of course can be removed prior to going into Peugeot for a service etc and therefore leave no trace behind that a tuning aid has ever been installed.I myself will be having a tuning box fitted to my car once the 1000 mile check is done,as I have done on all my new cars since 2000/2001 and have never had any problems either with the results of the tuning box or with manufactures warranty etc.

A

Anonymous

Hello AndyH,

I am sorry too, but I disagree, my tuner as well as my dealer told me, that there is no possibility to realize the different "Checksum" of the software, during normal tests. Only if you read out the software to a PC, you can check it. My dealer told me, they do not act this way.

doc

A

Anonymous

Hi Doc ,
We will have to agree to disagree,but as a former Dealer Principal (Of 9 years standing) and a total of 25 years experience within the retail motor industry then I know that manufacturers can easily spot re-maps.Most manufacturers ECU readers are programmed to automatically check for this when ever they are plugged into the ECU,which of course they always are even for routine servicing work.It is of course at this stage that any re-map will be over written but not before a print out is made which will be used to invalidate the vehicles engine and drive line assembly warranty. :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Hi Andy,

"It is of course at this stage that any re-map will be over written but not before a print out is made which will be used to invalidate the vehicles engine and drive line assembly warranty"

Both of the well-known PSA Tuner in Germany (Musketier and as well Clemens-Motorsport) are official PSA-Dealer and doing this for more than ten years!
Even my own local dealer told me, that I am his costumer not PSA.

A

Anonymous

Hi Doc,

Well PSA do not have any "official" tuners and I have had this confirmed by Peugeot UK today (with them having confirmed it with PSA in France) However maybe the manufacturer/dealership/consumer relationship in Germany is different than it is here in the UK but I would never recommend anyone here in the UK to go down this tuning route as here in the UK it WILL invalidate the warranty.

A

Anonymous

Is there something along the lines of fords "Bluefin" system?

A box that allows US to upload new maps / standard maps / economy maps etc through the Diag Port?

A

Anonymous

eh..The new ECU software flashes up error on identification of non standard mapping. Manufacturers have wised up the remapping and as soon as you plug the thing in it alerts the technician of error. Sorry to say but in the UK you will get caught out. Also inline kits do get round this but if you crash badly and you cant remove before police/insurers etc take the vehicle away..you are found out . Not saying remapping is bad but it does come with potential risks