What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Awful noise

A

Anonymous

I have an awful sound coming from the engine on first start up only. It's a little like "the lottery balls going round in the machine when they do the lottery draw" is the only way I can describe it! :( It's so bad I have to switch off the engine as I feel like it's going to some bad damage. Plus it echoes in my garage and probably makes it sound louder. Car is booked into Wokingham Motors for Monday - not a happy person as it has only just been serviced.
Peugeot Group have already contacted me regarding the steering problem so I am impressed with that :clap:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Well I thought it was just me! I thought I was imaging things. I've had the same problem in the last couple of weeks and it doesn't happen every time you start the engine. I've also been noticing that when going from 1st to 2nd gear or sometimes even 2nd to 3rd, if the revs are high, there is an awful grating sound. I've usually got the music playing but when I hear it and I try and recreate it, it doesn't always happen. Yes I do have my clutch pressed firmly to the floor too.;). I've been trying to get my OH to drive in the car with me to see if he could hear you but he's never here.

A

Anonymous

It's not every day either- but it happened yesterday morning after about a week with nothing. I can't believe the noise it makes. It's like the whole engine is going to fly apart! And my Ipod music hasn't kicked in on first start up so I really do get to hear the noise loudly. Yours and mine are around the same age - am I right??

RCZ1

Reaction score
Having just looked at your previous posts, it looks like yours might be a year old, mines coming up to 2 years. I could be wrong.
Yes same here, doesn't happen every day. It is an awful noise. Sounds like there is no lubrication in any of the engine parts. I put off doing anything about it as it was intermittent and would not probably recreate itself in the dealership.

samwell

Reaction score
I've been experiencing a rough noise on start up at times too. Usually at around 1,500 revs regardless of clutch being in or out after a long(ish) period of not running. Sounds like a bag of spanners but it's gone very quickly (after driving around 50 yards or idling for 30 seconds or so.) Seems like it has something to do with heat as once the engine's warmed, it's fine and I only notice it in the morning in the recent heat, beforehand it would sometimes happen when I leave work too.

Sounds terrible in multi storey car parks so I imagine in a garage it'd sound very nasty!

I'll have to take mine to Peugeot anyway due to an "airbag or pretensioner seatbelt faulty" warning popping up the last couple of days, I'll mention this too.

frankvdb

Reaction score
Could well be the notorious timing chain tensioner problem.
If the chain is loose and the oil has sunk to the bottom of the carter, I can imagine that the chain is noisy when starting the engine.
There are other topics about it in this subforum.
My car has got the HDi engine, so not affected.

RCZ1

Reaction score
frankvdb said:
Could well be the notorious timing chain tensioner problem.
If the chain is loose and the oil has sunk to the bottom of the carter, I can imagine that the chain is noisy when starting the engine.
There are other topics about it in this subforum.
My car has got the HDi engine, so not affected.

You are correct. Peugeot have been in touch and suggest that could be the problem so I will be booking in it as soon as possible.
Peugeot Group helping us out again- we are very lucky to have him on here :)

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
You are correct. Peugeot have been in touch and suggest that could be the problem so I will be booking in it as soon as possible.
Peugeot Group helping us out again- we are very lucky to have him on here :)
:text-goodpost: and :text-bravo: to Peugeot UK :clap:

A

Anonymous

I wonder if some of you are just "driving the car too hard" :eusa-think:

As a 1.6l, the engine is really having to work hard. After 12 / 24 months and on, you're going to start noticing.
This was the main reason I didn't go for the Petrol Models.

Just a thought :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Gorwell said:

As a 1.6l, the engine is really having to work hard. After 12 / 24 months and on, you're going to start noticing.

No - not me. I do a 2 mile journey every week day. I sometimes go out at night but will only do about 10/20 miles. And then potter out at the weekend. If anything mine needs a good thrashing!! :eek:
I do around 10K per year and very rarely drive over 90mph.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Gorwell said:

Gorwell, if my engine could speak, it would tell you that in its 17,000 miles, its been driven so sedately, it's unreal. My high MPG is prove of that. Yes I have the odd moment of madness but they are very few and far between. So I don't think that is the answer.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Both,

Seems to have scuppered that idea :thumbup:

Maybe the engine is tuned that it needs a "little blast" more often than not.
Like the HDi - you need to give it a good blast / run now and then to burn off the DPF "crap".

Failing that, if it is the Timing Belt Tensioner, maybe Peugeot should invest in using some stronger / more durable kit if it is such a common experience.

Hope you Both get sorted efficiently and effectively.

:auto-car:

A

Anonymous

My 2 year old 10 plate has done it once too since I had it. Should I be worried?

RCZ1

Reaction score
cozza said:
My 2 year old 10 plate has done it once too since I had it. Should I be worried?

Mine's a 10 plate. Has it happened recently? If it has I would take it in to be looked at. Better to be safe than sorry.

A

Anonymous

Sound like the timing chain all.
I had it in my cooper s. it sound like a transit van on startup.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Having just looked at your previous posts, it looks like yours might be a year old, mines coming up to 2 years. I could be wrong.
Yes same here, doesn't happen every day. It is an awful noise. Sounds like there is no lubrication in any of the engine parts. I put off doing anything about it as it was intermittent and would not probably recreate itself in the dealership.

Mine's just 2 years old too. And just had the 2 year service!!

A

Anonymous

When will Pug learn the engine in the 207Gti THP was the same, but at least that didn't have a heavy lump like the RCZ to drag around. This problem has been around for years and they still haven't sorted it out. When will they learn that a 1.6 engine should not have a turbo unit bolted to it.

Yes they will cover the work under warranty but in another 15K miles it will happen again and unless you've got extended warranty you might not be so lucky next time.

By driving around year after year not revving above 3000rpm is just going to prolong your problem. Because in the end it will need replacing. Better sooner than later I think or just do the sensible thing and buy the Robust diesel.

A

Anonymous

Rczmk said:
or just do the sensible thing and buy the Robust diesel.
I have to say that you worried me with this post until I got to this bit. so as a HDi owner, am I safe from this potential problem?