What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Another post about arches!

ianGT156

Reaction score
This is what I think the problem is, especially with mine. I have read they are anodised, and it seems the corrosion is happening under this hard coat.

I know that sounds impossible, but I have tried various methods, even used Autosol with a buffing pad on a drill to try and remove the marks but nothing changes. Here is a close up pic to show what I mean.

This is exactly what mine look like.

wilsofar

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to give the arches another go.I found that G3 Professional Scratch Remover did a marvellous job in ridding all water marks etc.

It's much kinder than T cut but still does the job without damage and has left a super shiney surface.

How I can keep it like that I don't know ,but it didn't need much elbow grease to clean the surface so not too much a job to do it every time I wash the Z (which admittedly isn't that often!)

D

Deleted User

wilsofar said:
Yesterday I decided to give the arches another go.I found that G3 Professional Scratch Remover did a marvellous job in ridding all water marks etc.

It's much kinder than T cut but still does the job without damage and has left a super shiney surface.

How I can keep it like that I don't know ,but it didn't need much elbow grease to clean the surface so not too much a job to do it every time I wash the Z (which admittedly isn't that often!)

was it the liquid or the paste?

not sure if one is better than the other!?

thanks for the info :)

ian b

D

Deleted User

wilsofar said:
It's Liquid and is like a cream.

I used the paste with the same brand applicator pads and found the result was excellent - thanks for the tip! (I've tried AutoGlym and Dodojuice products and the G3 was much, much better!)

Next question - now my arches are better... can they be 'sealed' in the same way as paintwork?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ian B

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes Definitely, loads of products on the market to seal the arches most ceramic coatings will do the job I prefer soft99 products but the choice is endless. :thumbup:

MarksRCZ

Reaction score
Hi
This did a pretty good job of cleaning the white spots from the arches of my RCZ and leaves a protective film.

From my research: The arches are made from anodised aluminium so abrasive polishes or pastes (and some chemicals) remove the protective coating, leaving them exposed to oxidisation (aka rust - aluminium rust is

Happy motoring

MarksRCZ

Attachments

• DD00B26C-44BB-4818-A3CA-299934D68BEC.jpeg
    DD00B26C-44BB-4818-A3CA-299934D68BEC.jpeg
    210.7 KB · Views: 1,712

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
Just tried the Autosol anodised aluminium polish and it didn't work in my situation.
I have used Autosol metal polish on other products before but this was totally different. It seems to be more of a gel that you leave on and then wipe off with a damp cloth (no rubbing/buffing).

It looked good when applied, and got my hopes up, but went back to white spots after drying. See photos.

This side didnt receive any treatment and has been untouched since it's wax coat last year.

This is the treated side.

I wiped the arches down with a damp cloth to clean off any dirt etc. so I don't think the wax coat would interfere.

I left the gel/polish on for about 20 minutes as the instructions lack specific detail. If you know of a better way to use the product let me know.

As I have mentioned, I believe the corrosion is "under" the hard coat of anodising, so nothing will have an effect unless you can get under it.

Attachments

• arch untouched.JPG
    arch untouched.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 1,511
  • arch after autosol.JPG
    arch after autosol.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 1,511

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
Well, I have finally managed to fix the silver arches problem once and for all.

After DKZ5745 & 2retro mentioned Plasti dip in the "Replacing mk 1 front end badge" thread, I went down the rabbit hole!

I didnt used plasti dip though, but their European counterpart that is supposed to be a slight improvement on it, (I can't comment or compare that claim).

And the results

Lets see how it stands up to UK weather/roads and jet washing :shock:

Attachments

• black arch 1.JPG
    black arch 1.JPG
    248.6 KB · Views: 1,147
  • black arch 2.JPG
    black arch 2.JPG
    250.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • black arch 3.JPG
    black arch 3.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 1,146
  • black arch 4.JPG
    black arch 4.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 1,144

2retro

Reaction score
Those arches look great, OkeyStokey. :thumbup:

I've thought for a long while about getting mine either wrapped or having a go myself with Plasti-Dip. Yours have come out really well so it's making me want to do mine too now! Any tips on masking up, etc. to share? I would have to do mine outside though and it's probably going to rain every day until May 2020 now but on the off-chance it's dry and mild at some point I'm definitely tempted...

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Great job there, like you say see how they hold up :beer:

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
Well wrapping was going to be around £100-£150 from the one quote I got, and this can of vinyl was £9.99 delivered, so a no brainer really.

The masking (prep) takes most of the time. I would say you would need about 1-2 hours in total. I managed 3 coats with one can, though I think 5 coats is optimal.

I bought the 3M masking tape (blue colour) as it is supposed to be waterproof, which I thought might help stop any bleed.
Luckily, the arch has a black rubber seal all around, so spraying onto this doesnt show either.

The spray is very easy to build up and cause runs, especially if you spray from left to right and back again.
So my advice would be to spray in one direction along the length of the arch, then back again but lower to try and keep coverage uniform.

The beauty though is that if you make a mistake, it just peels off and you can try again (whilst it is still soft).

When dried, be careful removing the tape, it will try and peel off as one in some places.
I found taking your time and watching where the tape breaks away means you can catch it before you remove too much vinyl. A spudger or plastic edge/blade can then be used to cut it off the tape.
:thumbup:

2retro

Reaction score
Awesome - thanks! :thumbup:

Where did you get the stuff from by the way? Amazon?

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
Just be careful when you wash it
Don't put much pressure on the arches

OkeyStokey

Reaction score
2retro said:
Awesome - thanks! :thumbup:

Where did you get the stuff from by the way? Amazon?

I seem to remember something about there being one agent that supplies to each country. Could be wrong, but I got mine from eBay, item number 333151384607. They do both types if you want the US one.

Cheers

Ian J.

Reaction score
You would have thought Peugeot over the years could have sorted this arch issue. I'm on my 3rd RCZ and all of them have had the same issue.

tm2204

Reaction score
Any issues using a pressure washer with Full Dipped arches?

How have they worn since you did them?

Can you wax/seal them like your paintwork?

Tks 👍

Bobby D

Reaction score
I can't help wondering if UV light has a damaging effect on them. I have just bought a 2012 with pretty nice arches and intend to keep car out of the sun as much as possible. To protect the arches and the leather dashboard!!

Pedro

Reaction score
Autosol is the best I have used the method in my madness is wash all road film off the car then dry off completely apply the polish to both arches then leave for about 5 mins then buff down with a bit of pressure from the elbows 💪 I do it about once a month if they are really dirty it keeps em looking nice & clean ..