What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

+125.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Sad day indeed, but I understand, needs must. Very good luck with your new ride, stay in touch, and wait for the day when another R might fit back into your lifestyle. :thumbup:

Flanners

Reaction score
I too get attached to my cars as they all have an individual 'personality' each with great features and also inherent flaws, each one is 'Marmite' and like the RCZ are not really mainstream; the R is the newest one and I am already attached and enjoying the drive, looks and performance (despite the recent HPFP and coil pack failure). Good luck with your sale, I'll miss the R ownership 'diary' updates.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Thanks guys!

I will collect some photos of the current state of my R like, interior, paint, etc. She took it really well all those +100k miles. Almost no wear off in the interior. Only the steering wheel shows some tiny wear off on the left side. And driver's seat is a bit off compared to passenger. But still, no cracks in the leather. Thumbs up to Pug for the material quality!

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Hi RCZ-R again...

Yes so the day has come, but you must do what is right for you, and like Cinderella with the glass shoe, you one day might find the glove which you part with now.

As we have already talked about this day, it is true that your forum posts will be missed and have been welcomed by so many. Maybe a few more tales to tell no doubt ha ha.

Well we will cross paths very soon, just a shame as you know we won't get to have the three R's in a row...

That's Racy, Rapid and sometimes Rebellious.

Good luck with your new endeavours, cu soon.

Cheers n Beers :beer:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Later when I go through the invoices I also will post a list of parts I had to replace/repair. The list is not very long :lol:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Later when I go through the invoices I also will post a list of parts I had to replace/repair. The list is not very long :lol:
That's good lol [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score
So here comes the list of parts I had to replace on my R during its lifespan. When replaced under guaranty I have put a G behind it. There is no sequence in that order, it is just a list.

Catalyst (G)
High pressure fuel pump (the replacement carried on till my parting with the R) (G)
Water coolant temperature sensor (G)
Ignition coils, all of them
Magnetic valve camshaft adjuster
Crankcase valve
Exhaust header (all the autobahn blasts say hello!)
Exhaust header gasket (greetings from the autobahn!)
Turbo heat shield (G) (twice. The second was almost gone when I sold her)
Oil cooler
Cam chain (due to premature wear off thanks to flat-out driving)
Clutch pressure plate (G)

That is it.
The rest was usual servicing, like brake pads, discs (5 times), pads & discs on the rear (1 time), engine oil (up to 1L fill ups in between the services only when driving excessively fast), tyres (both summer and winter tyres) and the usual filters.
Other than that there was absolutely nothing else I had to replace. Not a single bulb or anything else broken or worn.

The interior had not a single rattle or squeak. All felt rock solid till the end.

Some interior pics follow. :greetings-wavingblue:

indoldn

Reaction score
Newbie here, very much enjoy reading your posts. I think you are convincing me to go for an R even though maintenance may be on the high side especially those front discs. Did you ever had to replace the clutch?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
indoldn said:
Newbie here, very much enjoy reading your posts. I think you are convincing me to go for an R even though maintenance may be on the high side especially those front discs. Did you ever had to replace the clutch?

The maintenance costs of those front brakes go hand in hand with your driving style. I had times where a set only took as far as two service intervals (40.000 km). And then there were times when they lasted as long as 80.000 km (particularly the last set). So all depends on how you treat them. I loved the way how brutal and effective they performed so I used to stop on a dime. Thus more wear off.

Clutch? Not the clutch itself, but the clutch pressure plate. I forgot about it. It was done under warranty. The clutch plates are strong enough for this engine. I also practiced heel-to-toe driving technique on daily basis. That also adds up to a longer clutch life.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Hi RCZ-R again...

Yes so the day has come, but you must do what is right for you, and like Cinderella with the glass shoe, you one day might find the glove which you part with now.

As we have already talked about this day, it is true that your forum posts will be missed and have been welcomed by so many. Maybe a few more tales to tell no doubt ha ha.

Well we will cross paths very soon, just a shame as you know we won't get to have the three R's in a row...

That's Racy, Rapid and sometimes Rebellious.

Good luck with your new endeavours, cu soon.

Cheers n Beers :beer:

Thank you!
The only car that could bring me back to sports cars is currently the new Alpine A110, to be precise the new A110 S model. I will sit and wait for the prices to drop a bit and then decide.
Or maybe Peugeot brings a new RCZ. But this will then be electric-only. And I need some engine sound to make me giggle.

misterx

Reaction score
Flanners said:
Excellent! Makes me happy that the R has the longevity, I can just about mentally cope with the cost of discs and pads so good to know the turbo and mechanicals can take it especially as much is bespoke to the R. :clap: I don't thrash my cars but enjoy the odd spirited drive, my Fiat Coupe 20vt is on 110K on the original blower.

Longevity is what I am relying on, and also my belief (someone correct me if I am wrong) that a manufacturer has to keep parts available for ten years after a car ceases production. My RCZ R is now on more than 134,000 miles (215,000km) and still going strong. There is nothing out there that looks as good as an RCZ, so I will stick with what I know and love.

Flanners

Reaction score
Nice post. I think the 10 year availability can be hit and miss as there are some loopholes with suppliers and supply chain availability....I know some of the Alfa Romeo parts were unavailable on the GTV I have after about 7-8 years, some are being fabricated by 3rd parties, fingers crossed though what does not help is the bespoke nature of the R, brakes, turbo, the block, exhaust parts, pistons, suspension, springs, wheels etc.

Be great to get your take on ownership, highs and lows like RCZ-R has done given you may well have the highest mileage R I know of and you are keeping her :dance:

misterx

Reaction score
Flanners said:
Be great to get your take on ownership, highs and lows like RCZ-R has done given you may well have the highest mileage R I know of and you are keeping her :dance:

Hard to be sure whether it is the highest mileage. Dealership says its the highest in the UK but then Peugeot would only know about those that go through their dealerships and maybe some of the older ones are serviced etc by independents.

As to highs and lows, I have a mental block re most lows and just remember the highs, not that there have been many really low lows. It is difficult to say what problems if any are peculiar to the RCZ/RCZ-R and which are just what you'd expect from a well-used car. For example this week the warm air blower has packed up for some reason even though the aircon still blasts out cold air when that option is set. Have to get it sorted soon or the wife will moan of frostbite as winter approaches, and will take far longer to demist the screen in the mornings.

Mine was allegedly the first non-demo R registered in the UK so I had the pleasure of finding out a few of the problems. In the early days (2014) the main issue was to do with squealing brakes and no solution could be found despite numerous adjustments, so eventually they changed all the discs and pads and that sorted it. I think they went on to do this for all the other R's in the UK. Was hugely embarrasing at traffic lights and everywhere else as it made such a piercing noise that people literally put their hands over their ears, schoolchildren cried, and someone almost fell of their bike. Funny to think about it now, but it was really grim at the time.

A few times a warning to stop the vehicle due to engine fault would flash up, and to start with it was a cause for concern but eventually after a number of trips to the dealer it became obvious that most of this was spurious and sometimes after a few 100 miles the warning would clear itself. Never really got to the bottom of this, though various sensors etc were changed at different times.

The most recent issue was a leak under the rocker cover which needed a replacement cover and seals etc. Symptom was every time the car was up to temp but stationary, clouds of smoke came up from the bonnet and inside it had a smell of burning. Much relief to find it was a fairly straightforward issue of the leaked oil burning off due to contact with the engine rather than an imminent inferno or a new engine job.

Like in similar cars, the provision of rear seats is a bit pointless unless your passengers are amputees.

Before the R I had a regular RCZ and I did notice the differences when I changed. Not having electric seats being the main one, but soon got over that. And of course the fixed spoiler.

I find that fuel economy depends on how heavy my foor is and what roads I am on. A full tank is typically about 450 miles but can stretch beyond 500 if it is smooth continuous motorway driving within the speed limit.

Probably the biggest irritation is that when it rains and I open the boot lid, all the water from the spoiler channel runs straight into the boot. I see that as a design flaw. I just learn to keep things central inside where the water doesn't reach!

Unless and until something else comes along that matches the looks and performance of the R, or it falls to bits, I will be keeping it.

Flanners

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
So here comes the list of parts I had to replace on my R during its lifespan. When replaced under guaranty I have put a G behind it. There is no sequence in that order, it is just a list.

Catalyst (G)
High pressure fuel pump (the replacement carried on till my parting with the R) (G)
Water coolant temperature sensor (G)
Ignition coils, all of them
Magnetic valve camshaft adjuster
Crankcase valve
Exhaust header (all the autobahn blasts say hello!)
Exhaust header gasket (greetings from the autobahn!)
Oil cooler
Cam chain (due to premature wear off thanks to flat-out driving)
Clutch pressure plate (G)

That is it.
The rest was usual servicing, like brake pads, discs (5 times), pads & discs on the rear (1 time), engine oil (up to 1L fill ups in between the services only when driving excessively fast), tyres (both summer and winter tyres) and the usual filters.
Other than that there was absolutely nothing else I had to replace. Not a single bulb or anything else broken or worn.

The interior had not a single rattle or squeak. All felt rock solid till the end.

Some interior pics follow. :greetings-wavingblue:

Interesting reading the list: no rocker cover gasket? some owners have been through several I believe due to leaks (can't of been replaced correctly), no turbo heat shield either or shocks/springs etc?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
No rocker cover gasket.

Yes, the turbo heat shield has been replaced twice on mine. First time on guarantee, second time on my wallet. I added it to the list above.

No shocks or springs. Absolutely nothing on the suspension. Not a single part.
The shocks got a bit tired towards the end but that became obvious only when driving on the absolute limit of the car. It bounced a bit more over bumps when doing so. I liked it that way a lot. A test performed on a rumble pad returned a full OK on those shocks. I still managed a faster race track time with them than a porsch 911, hehe.

Honestly I was positively surprised how well the whole suspension took my riding. German roads get worse with every year and sometimes I couldn't prevent from slamming into potholes or attacking those nasty tarmac joints on bridges. Each time my heart almost stopped.
At the end I refurbished the rims as they were slightly dented and bent. Again nothing critical and the usual driver wasn't noticing anything when driving my car. But I loved her so I gave her overly service :)

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Flanners said:
Oh, did you ever have the Walnut Blasting?

No, but I did the cleaning of intake by injecting a cleaning solution. Go back in that whole thread and you will find some info about it :greetings-wavingblue: