What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

+125.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Re: +80.000 miles with the RCZ R (my story)

Hmmm the first edition is £37k here in the UK. Not a cheap motor :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score

Nice car though....

Attachments

• 57A81B07-9B7B-4AFD-B462-FE07134C1F35.jpeg
    57A81B07-9B7B-4AFD-B462-FE07134C1F35.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 4,504

renegade79

Reaction score

RCZ-R said:
It says it will go 155 MPH and does the 0-62 sprint in about 7 seconds. That is just fine with me. Enough power to fight down the bigger diesels (up from 190 bhp).
:lol: that is clearly aimed at the Audi A6 company car guy!
Yes a 1.6thp, probably a reworked version of the 208 GTi lump!!

Plecodoras

Reaction score

renegade79 said:
RCZ-R said:
It says it will go 155 MPH and does the 0-62 sprint in about 7 seconds. That is just fine with me. Enough power to fight down the bigger diesels (up from 190 bhp).
:lol: that is clearly aimed at the Audi A6 company car guy!
Yes a 1.6thp, probably a reworked version of the 208 GTi lump!!

Yes that's what I was thinking too, similar lines to the Audi.

I still can't believe such a big looking car with only a 1.6l motor in AND it still claims 155mph - incredible ! :crazy:

2retro

Reaction score

As much as I dislike Audi (well, more the owners than the cars to be fair) if I was spending that money I wouldn't be getting the Pug. Sorry.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

2retro said:
As much as I dislike Audi (well, more the owners than the cars to be fair) if I was spending that money I wouldn't be getting the Pug. Sorry.

There is hardly any other option price-wise available on my market. I take into consideration the full package of toys which come with the 508 GT. You have to pay a hefty overhead for them with other brands. Or they even do not offer them at all.
Additionally over here in ze Germany you get sometimes over 20% discount on a car like the Pug. The Germans don't give as much.
But at the end, I like the new 508 very much. Now I want to see it in flesh and they I will have a bit of thinking about it.

renegade79

Reaction score

there is no denying that the 508 GT is a fine looking car.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Honestly, I'm not very tempted by the prospect of driving a sedan/limousine as a daily driver. I'd rather stick to coupes or hot hatches.
But coupes are rare and those available don't touch my heart. And as I'd like to stay with Peugeot for a while, the new 508 GT seems to be a good pick for me.

RCZ-R

Reaction score

UPDATE:

I have the feeling the high pressure fuel pump is failing again :thumbdown:
It's been about 70.000 km since they replaced it and going by the mileage it seems to be true for the saying, those pumps are good for about 60-80.000 kms only.
How I know?
I get those faults at high speed where the engine doesn't get enough fuel for available turbo boost and the ECU tries to turn down the boost. Then you get the famous engine failure message on the screen. So you need to stop the car, turn the engine off and on again and the fault is gone. Till next flat out run.

I will check with my garage when the car goes into the 160.000 km inspection soon.

Plecodoras

Reaction score

RCZ-R said:
UPDATE:

I have the feeling the high pressure fuel pump is failing again :thumbdown:
It's been about 70.000 km since they replaced it and going by the mileage it seems to be true for the saying, those pumps are good for about 60-80.000 kms only.
How I know?
I get those faults at high speed where the engine doesn't get enough fuel for available turbo boost and the ECU tries to turn down the boost. Then you get the famous engine failure message on the screen. So you need to stop the car, turn the engine off and on again and the fault is gone. Till next flat out run.

I will check with my garage when the car goes into the 160.000 km inspection soon.

RCZ-R....

Considering the mileage you have done in your R, what has gone wrong with it in that period and which of those instances cost the most. In terms of running costs and repairs in general. As anyone on here will confess that your mileage is up there as the most. I know there is a 65 plate R for sale in the UK and it has done 80,000km in two years, been for sale a while. Here in the UK once a car had reached 100,000 miles it was deemed about end of life, things have changed somewhat, but it's still a stigma for most people. Be interested to see if a car like yours which you admit to " driving hard " suffers more or less the same as a modestly driven car! Generally getting a good picture of the engines / cars reliability as most folk say the French cars have bad reliability.
Hope you understand my convoluted question ? ! ? ! :wtf:

Cheers :beer:

tianorth

Reaction score

Here in the UK once a car had reached 100,000 miles it was deemed about end of life,

160,000 km is equal to 100,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

RCZ-R

Reaction score

tianorth said:
Here in the UK once a car had reached 100,000 miles it was deemed about end of life,

160,000 km is equal to 100,000 miles.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

But was it an R model or not?

RCZ-R

Reaction score

Plecodoras said:
RCZ-R....

Considering the mileage you have done in your R, what has gone wrong with it in that period and which of those instances cost the most. In terms of running costs and repairs in general. As anyone on here will confess that your mileage is up there as the most. I know there is a 65 plate R for sale in the UK and it has done 80,000km in two years, been for sale a while. Here in the UK once a car had reached 100,000 miles it was deemed about end of life, things have changed somewhat, but it's still a stigma for most people. Be interested to see if a car like yours which you admit to " driving hard " suffers more or less the same as a modestly driven car! Generally getting a good picture of the engines / cars reliability as most folk say the French cars have bad reliability.
Hope you understand my convoluted question ? ! ? ! :wtf:

I get your drift here :greetings-wavingblue:
I would say the turbo was the most expensive part. Right after that was the high pressure fuel pump (the one which I hope is not failing again).
The rest was more or less reasonable when it comes to costs. Ignition coils, fixing the exhaust header and the EGR valve.

I'd say the bigger bills where due to my driving pace. A higher pace means always a higher wear off on parts.

Some of the costs will also come across those who enjoy their R on a sunday drive only, like the coils, the fuel pump and the whole crap in conjunction with the EGR. Maybe some will experience issues with clogged intake valves. A problem I will never experience on a fast driven engine.

In general I cannot say the reliability of french cars is better or worse than e.g. german cars. It is about the same. And in some areas the french are just better. For example the suspension parts. They hardly ever wear off with french cars.
My previous Renault took my "abuse" for over 230.000 km without any issues. Still the first turbo, clutch and gearbox. But it failed at the ignition coils as well.

These days some parts built for a very limited durability. By the time I decided for the RCZ R I knew some of them will fail during my ownership (like the coil packs or any sort of valves around the engine block). I was only hit hard by the costs of replacing the brakes.

My personal opinion:
The RCZ R as a second or third car in a household will live long and well. Taking into account a yearly mileage of about 10k miles or less there should not be any bigger issues. And the brakes will also be good for a long time before replacing them.

Plecodoras

Reaction score

Yes thank you RCZ-R that's exactly what I was getting at.

My R is my second car and apart from Alpine holidays, it is mainly used at weekends. It's coming up three years old soon and has covered 10,000 miles ( apprx 16,000km ). I would like to say I will keep it but you never know with cars!
I have an 100% electric car, hence my electric car posts! this is my main car and I can see much advancement in the next few years - it is exciting times for E-cars, and I think I will change this car before I change the R.

Thanks once again for answering my question. :thumbup:

RCZ-R

Reaction score

UPDATE:

I've done a compression test on my R engine. The results are pretty good.
So basically what you see here is a compression test result from an R engine with almost 100.000 miles on it. Hard driven miles.

The results are what I have expected them to be. I was never worried about the engine's reliability. The figures it pushes are high but not on the edge of what is doable nowadays. If I would keep the car longer I would even go for a proper engine tuning up to 310 horses. It can take it.

There is the graph (attached)

cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20180402_101713.jpg
    IMG_20180402_101713.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 4,155

renegade79

Reaction score

does the four lines indicate the compression of each cylinder?

RCZ-R

Reaction score

renegade79 said:

Correct.
They start low as the engine cranks low. And then the numbers go up as the engine cranks up. And until a point where there is no more gain in pressure.
The line for the first cylinder here is a bit off. It should have cut off at 10.5 bar, not almost 12 bar. Spot the line starting to drop at about 10.7 bar. This is where the printed line shall end.
Also the 4th cylinder readout is a bit off.

All four brothers looks pretty good.

I forgot to ask if the test was performed dry or wet. I will call the company and ask them. But going by the numbers I suppose it was a dry test.

Plecodoras

Reaction score

RCZ-R said:
renegade79 said:

Correct.
They start low as the engine cranks low. And then the numbers go up as the engine cranks up. And until a point where there is no more gain in pressure.
The line for the first cylinder here is a bit off. It should have cut off at 10.5 bar, not almost 12 bar. Spot the line starting to drop at about 10.7 bar. This is where the printed line shall end.

I forgot to ask if the test was performed dry or wet. I will call the company and ask them. But going by the numbers I suppose it was a dry test.

RCZ-R that is interesting reading, but to know how good the figures are you need to have something to compare it with. It would be useful if we had an idea of what compression we would expect on a new / newish engine. We could then evaluate the loss on each cylinder. Not a criticism at all and thank you for posting, interesting at 100,000 miles these are still strong results.

You mention tuning the engine to past 310hp, if you was to do this would you " Remap the existing ECU, or put a Race-chip type modifier on " ?

stewartwillsher

Reaction score

Plecodoras said:
RCZ-R said:
renegade79 said:

Correct.

RCZ-R that is interesting reading, but to know how good the figures are you need to have something to compare it with. It would be useful if we had an idea of what compression we would expect on a new / newish engine. We could then evaluate the loss on each cylinder. Not a criticism at all and thank you for posting, interesting at 100,000 miles these are still strong results.

You mention tuning the engine to past 310hp, if you was to do this would you " Remap the existing ECU, or put a Race-chip type modifier on " ?
My guess is that the compression ratio given in the spec for the engine would, if no loss whatsoever, be the same as the bar reading.
All engines, even brand new, leak some pressure past the rings of the pistons, but it is a starting point.