What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Who's On Line ?

A

Anonymous

Quick question, excuse my ignorance.
But what is a :

Bing [Bot]

Google Adsense [Bot]

Google[Bot]

:crazy:

RCZ1

Reaction score
They are bots that monitor Internet sites and which is how if you search for info on Google or the like, you are able to find information relating to your search.

A

Anonymous

It's because of these "Bots" or Robots, that I suspect a lot of members find this forum. If say somebody was searching to find "how to replace bulb in a RCZ" for instance and put it into Google, this is what they would get as the first result.

Peugeot RCZ Forum • Changing RCZ Light Bulb - My Experience ...
www.peugeotrczforum.co.uk › ... › Lights & Electrics
4 posts - 2 authors - 13 Apr 2012
Just want to share my experience in changing the light bulb in my RCZ to LED... I have changed the following in my RCZ: 1. DRL 380 Ultimate ...
Peugeot RCZ Forum • Drl lights & Philips extreme vision.‎ - 11 Mar 2013
Peugeot RCZ Forum • Changing the DLR / sidelight to LED ...‎ - 20 Aug 2012
Peugeot RCZ Forum • All Front Lights on the RCZ Upgraded‎ - 28 Apr 2012
Peugeot RCZ Forum • LED number plate bulbs‎ - 24 Aug 2011
More results from peugeotrczforum.co.uk »

A

Anonymous

In only ask because earlier when I was looking to see who was online, I noticed that a "Bot" was "viewing a private message" :?

Bit of a nosy R2D2 I thought :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
In only ask because earlier when I was looking to see who was online, I noticed that a "Bot" was "viewing a private message" :?

Bit of a nosy R2D2 I thought :eusa-think:
Nosey Bot How can that be right? Surely Private means just that? I assumed that "private" meant it was only viewable by sender and recipient.

A

Anonymous

Well take a look for yourself.
If your quick you will see a Bot viewing a "private message"

It sometimes seems to coincide with another member viewing or replying to a PM :eusa-think:

Like I say I'm no expert on all this Bot stuff, but it is a tad concerning :?

A

Anonymous

Hopefully derek or a Mod would be able to our concerns to rest and explain how private a private message actually is. However I'm sure that it must be between sender and recipient, cos from recall I'm sure there is something in the site rules about not disclosing comments made in a PM. Let's be honest that would be a pointless rule if pm's were viewable by others.

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
Hopefully derek or a Mod would be able to our concerns to rest and explain how private a private message actually is. However I'm sure that it must be between sender and recipient, cos from recall I'm sure there is something in the site rules about not disclosing comments made in a PM. Let's be honest that would be a pointless rule if pm's were viewable by others.

Hopefully a PM is not viewable to anyone but who it is ment for. But with technology and hacking ect I guess anything is possible.
I do recall many many moons ago a member asking how secure PM's are on here, and if I recall they are not entirely closed just to the sender and recipient. :eek:
I just cant see why a Bot would want to "follow" a private message if it could not see it ?
Probably a simple explanation and nothing to be concerned about, but if you check on the "Who's On Line " link, you can regulary see a Bot viewing a private message :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Probably a case of, it can see the "traffic" and attempts to access the info as it would normally do, but is actually prevented from so doing by some security method. Let's face it when you and I was planning that robbery last year via the Pm system, the cops got to hear about it :lol: :lol: So I guess that the security service etc could if they so desired gain access.

A

Anonymous

They could always ask Mrs H to get on board.
She dont miss a bloody trick :roll:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
They could always ask Mrs H to get on board.
She dont miss a bloody trick :roll:
Are you deliberately tempting me to do another of my "misquotes" with that :lol: I'm tempted, but will resist :helpme:

A

Anonymous

She can deal with it if you do :lol:

You'd be a brave man to cross a woman in wellies, holding a pitch fork, shearing a sheep whilst sucking on a pipe. :lol:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Quick question, excuse my ignorance.
But what is a :

Bing [Bot]

Google Adsense [Bot]

Google[Bot]

:crazy:

A Bot (more precise: a robot) is just a program which does the same as you do, browsing the internet and add whatever it finds to a database so others can find it.

It can only see public content, so your private messages stay private.

There's much more to it, but that are the basics in a nutshell.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
I don't know if this answers any of the queries raised but I think this is the thread you were referring to Jactac:

viewtopic.php?t=3751#pPersonal messages security ?
Blimey. That one slipped under my radar. I have never seen that thread before. I thought that I read every post on here.

Question:- Who in power, has hidden that from me for so long :lol: (attempt @ humour)

A

Anonymous

Rizzo,
Think it is Rizzo, but I'm sure the subject has been raised elsewhere on here.

Tom,
Why can we see a Bot "Reading Private Message" if the Bot cannot access it ?

It's this Bot bit "reading private messages" that bothers me, not the administrator having access to everything.
Just curious thats all.

A

Anonymous

It's a good question and one that I'm afraid I don't have an answer to. Perhaps Derek will be able to cast some more light on it.

TomC - thanks for your post. That does make sense.

RCZ1

Reaction score
The Bot is not reading PM's. It might try and follow the path to it but can't physically see them so they are safe from them.

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Tom,

This forum only allows registered members to see any postings, so those 'Bots' must be registered users to read it.

To get those bot-users out of 'normal' user-statistics the forum software has this users built-in. That's why you see their names, but cannot click on them.

And, you probably guessed it, they are able to access the link to read their own(!) private messages. That's what you noticed.

A

Anonymous

TomC said:
jactac said:
Tom,

This forum only allows registered members to see any postings, so those 'Bots' must be registered users to read it.

To get those bot-users out of 'normal' user-statistics the forum software has this users built-in. That's why you see their names, but cannot click on them.

And, you probably guessed it, they are able to access the link to read their own(!) private messages. That's what you noticed.
WHATa bot will post private messages!!!!!!!!! Can you imagine what Google Bot has been saying about you jactac :lol: