What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Whining noise

Ian J.

Reaction score
Got a whining noise only lasts a second or two and only from stationary never between gears or while the car is moving. Engine gearbox and clutch all work fine.
Sounds a bit like a slipping fanbelt but not as loud and doesn't happen all the time.
Any ideas anyone?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
DMF.
I had a similar noise a couple of years ago, and when it went in they diagnosed the Dual Mass Flywheel. As I had a Peugeot Platinum warranty they replaced the entire clutch assembly FOC.

Ian J.

Reaction score
My cars too old to be covered, does it mean a new clutch?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I don’t think it’s a major issue. They did tell me that it’s not uncommon, and it’s not going to cause any damage, it’s just an annoying noise unless it gets very regular and becomes worse.

Obviously as I had a warranty and was going to get a new clutch out of it I told them to get on with it, but if I had to pay, I think I would have lived with it.

Ian J.

Reaction score
Just been on line and my car doesn't have other symptoms, no rattles or noises from clutch during operation and no vibration either but it does sound like the noise is happening when the clutch bites on moving from stationary .

Pedro

Reaction score
Got a whining noise only lasts a second or two and only from stationary never between gears or while the car is moving. Engine gearbox and clutch all work fine.
Sounds a bit like a slipping fanbelt but not as loud and doesn't happen all the time.
Any ideas anyone?
Thrust bearings usually whine (Humming is also heard) when the clutch assembly is saying its tired & want's a new home aka A skip..
Possibly the water pump bearing known generic failures on Zs ?
Auxiliary pulleys can also make a whine when they start to wear out ?
Get someone to start it whilst you stand in front with the bonnet up..

Ian J.

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments
Noise doesn't occur when the cars fires up only when moving from stationary for a second or two and not all the time

Marmite

Reaction score
Mine does it now an again if you sit in gear at the lights to long I thought it was the thrust bearing .
I now use the handbrake an put it in neutral an it don’t do it

Last edited:

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine had started to make a loud shrieking and a chattering noise.
After having the chain, tensioners and VVT sprockets replaced the same year it was either pony up again or trade it in.

Ian J.

Reaction score
So I've just had my local garage have a quick look at the car and guess what - a timing chain tensioner problem
Think I might heard of this one somewhere before

Pedro

Reaction score
So I've just had my local garage have a quick look at the car and guess what - a timing chain tensioner problem
Think I might heard of this one somewhere before
Timing chain Tensioner? They only make the chain rattle never heard of them humming before maybe I am wrong but they basically work like a hydraulic plunger which pushes the chain inwards to keep the chain tightly tensioned once they begin to fail the Plunger becomes too stiff to move in far enough to provide enough pressure on the chain hence the rattle which won't go away until its replaced ..

Ian J.

Reaction score
Don't disagree , cars now off the road until the garage can take a proper look
Only had the car 3 weeks

Pedro

Reaction score
Don't disagree , cars now off the road until the garage can take a proper look
Only had the car 3 weeks
03 weeks is a bummer of bad luck I hope they get it sorted you deserve some luck after only 3 weeks of ownership lets hope its not the whole chain issue !👍

Ian J.

Reaction score
It will certainly be a test as to whether warranties are worth the paper.

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully you don't have the surprise I had with my warranty.
The Pug dealer I used for the chain and tensioners on my RCz "hadn't used" the warranty company before that covered my car.
So I had to stump up the £1000+ that it cost for the job. Luckily having worked for a living the money was there.

Ian J.

Reaction score
Yes I'm having a similar problem, warranty company not wanting to pay and the dealer trying to distance himself even though I've only had the car 3 weeks.
" It was perfectly ok when it left us honest"

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
If you’ve had it only 3 weeks no matter how little warranty you got with the car the dealer has to sort it or give you your money back the car he sold you has to be fit for purpose which it obviously isn’t you legally have 6 months in which to return the car if it’s not fit. I had exactly the same thing happen to me bought my RCZ ran it a week then went on holiday for a fortnight, on next start up car sounded like a diesel had it checked by a Peugeot dealer and it needed the timing kit replacing with only 17K on the clock the dealer tried all he could to wriggle out of paying for the repair but as trading standards reminded him he had to! 6 years on and not a problem since it’s definitely worth getting sorted and then you can enjoy your beautiful Z 👍

Ian J.

Reaction score
Yes too be honest I'm not interested in a refund, the car is spotless and I'm not thinking of moving it on any time soon. Low mileage Zeds are becoming more and more scarce so will stick with it but am expecting either the warranty company or the dealer to cough up.
In hindsight though I should probably have gone for a diesel .