What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Whining noise

Ian J.

Reaction score
Timing chain Tensioner? They only make the chain rattle never heard of them humming before maybe I am wrong but they basically work like a hydraulic plunger which pushes the chain inwards to keep the chain tightly tensioned once they begin to fail the Plunger becomes too stiff to move in far enough to provide enough pressure on the chain hence the rattle which won't go away until its replaced ..
Pedro looks like you were right
Car is back from the garage having had the full timing chain kit replaced and the rattle (or tractor impersonation) has gone , engine now beautifully quiet , the whining noise however has not so clearly the noises weren't related. Only does it when the car starts moving so no clutch noises just when car takes off and generally when its been stood overnight.
No noise at junctions or when the car is at anything above walking pace
Any ideas ?

Ps the warranty company paid for the repair - thank you Momentum Warranties

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
Mine does it now an again if you sit in gear at the lights to long I thought it was the thrust bearing .
I now use the handbrake an put it in neutral an it don’t do it
That usually relates to the pressure coming off the
Pedro looks like you were right
Car is back from the garage having had the full timing chain kit replaced and the rattle (or tractor impersonation) has gone , engine now beautifully quiet , the whining noise however has not so clearly the noises weren't related. Only does it when the car starts moving so no clutch noises just when car takes off and generally when its been stood overnight.
No noise at junctions or when the car is at anything above walking pace
Any ideas ?

Ps the warranty company paid for the repair - thank you Momentum Warranties
I can reel them off as possibly maybes it appears its primarily a motion noise whining/ humming sound therefore it may relate to tension (Belts & or Aux Pulleys from engine loading} you also have the starter motor which can whine if the recoil is weakening & the torque load on the Alternator/Pulley bearing to consider so are they causing issues Thrust bearings can make a nice soft hum sound that can go on for a long time until they really begin to bite the dust then they can sound like a metallic grating if severely worn so is it clutch related you said it can be prominent after standing overnight so it could be a heat up & cooling down scenario ie The noise is activated by heat through the failing component as the heat build up becomes more sustained then the noise becomes louder ?
I can only suggest the following that might help check the noises try to monitor it from cold to when the car reaches max temp listen for any deviation in direction of noise do you think it came from R/H/ or L/H side of the Engine once the car has reached normal operating Temp when you stop pump the clutch pedal gently a few times see if you hear or feel any difference through pedal or a slight soft clunk sound that sometimes relates to wear in the Thrust bearing & clutch Assembly You may want to consider changing the gearbox Oil although Peugeot state its in there for the life time of the car oil does deteriorate overtime so maybe that could make a difference to the Hum or whine your getting other owners have changed theirs on 50.000 & say it makes a change to gear selection I may do mine in the near future
So best case scenario keep driving & listening if you began to get heavier sounding noises then the fault will rear its ugly head then its just a matter of tracing & fixing/replacing the component
Stay safe & keep alert ! ;)

Ian J.

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions
Car drives like new so the occasional noise isn't going to bother me too much but will keep an eye on it