What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Whats the best Quad Exhaust

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Jimbrodie1 said:
Thanks Steve,

I had one dealer tell me that adding the exhaust may trigger an engine check light, have you heard of this happening with the Ruffer ?

However he was trying to sell me the Feline pipes so obviously may well have had an ulteria motive :eusa-think:

Nope no light will be triggered, you are just replacing the rear silencer (muffler) and tips. The only time you might trigger an EML (Engine Management Light, aka CEL) if you open the exhaust up a lot and that would require changing the catalyst and all pipes, say like for racing. Yep they were trying, but always come to the experts first ;)

DanRo

Reaction score
I also have Ruffer exhaust and no warming sign ....
I even have the sport cat and no problemo :)

Did you order the sport cat ?

The Standard clamp the secure the rear silincer on the exhaust pipe needs
To be positioned real carefully. Otherwise it will come in contact with
The rear lateral suspension "arm". I replaced it against a complet different one

My advice about the spacers, also order 5mm spacers for the front.

Otherwise congratulations with tour purchase.

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
Hi Dan,

No I didn't order the Cat. Only had the car 3 weeks so didn't want to so too much too soon.

Thanks for the tip on the clamp. I'm assuming it joins in the same place as the original silencer to the centre pipe ? Did you fit your own or did you have it done by a workshop ? I know the Feline kit comes with a template to the cut the rear valance and instructions but don't know if the Ruffer one does ?

Picking mine up tomorrow so hopefully will be fitting it sometime over the weekend if we get a decent day weather wise :roll:

DanRo

Reaction score
Hi Jim,

To install you need to cut the original exhaust, the point where you need to cut it is marked by Peugeot on the original exhaust. The silincer of Ruffer is made so it joins on this plase, but the pipe between the Ruffer silincer and the point wher it joins is in not one but two pieces which are hold together with a clamp.

It is this clamp to is located just above the "suspension beam" (I realy don't know the right word for it :))
This clamp if not mounted correctly can come in contact with this suspension beam

I will change the clamp, because even after I have cut of the screw-threads space between the beam and the screw-ends is only 1cm; This beam move up and down when you drive so It worry's me that the gap is only 1 cm.

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Great to meet you Jim and enjoy your new exhaust and spacers on your beautiful RCZ.

Thanks again for your order and I look forward to your next order :thumbup:

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
Here you go then guys. Fit the exhaust yesterday and this is the result. I'm afraid the car is filthy as the weather was sh*t yesterday :thumbdown:

It begins ......

After stripping off the undercovers, light and rear valance, the exhaust is cut.

New back box is fit and connected. By mounting the clamps at 90 degrees it gives about 30mm clearance from the rear cross member. Dan the cross member doesn't actually go up and down it pivots as it contains the anti roll bar so should not contact the clamp.

The first problem I had was, the top pipe from the rear of the back box was very close to touching the rear bulkhead just above it, only a couple of mm clearance. So I had to fit a couple of spacers to create the gap seen in this picture

Spacers fitted on exhaust hanger

So after cutting the new opening in the valance with the template and a jig saw, putting it all back together and a bit of a wash this morning this is the result .....

All in all I'm pleased with the end result. However the tail pipes are a fair bit lower than the originals. This can not be helped as the position is set by the hanger position on the new exit pipe (RHS) and the LHS has to be set to match it. The RHS tail pipes (chrome outlet) are much shorter than the LHS which they have to be due to the short gap and bend in the cross pipe. This means you can see the pipe work behind the chrome trims from behind the car on both sides but is worst on the RHS. This could be improved by not having such a large cut out in the valance. If I did it again I would probably cut it about 3 inches lower. Yes it wouldn't match the LHS but would be better than seeing the pipes. See below ....

I don't know if the Ruffer replacement valance is lower above the tail pipes to help reduce the gap :eusa-think: any idea Steven ?

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
Looking good Jim but yes it is too low.

If you spend a little time adjusting and maybe trimming here and there you will be able to raise the exhaust and the tips will be higher and closer to the factory rear valance because it is too low at the moment as you have mentioned and shown in the photos.

Each RCZ seems to be a little different and so additional trimming and adjusting is required.

DanRo

Reaction score
I had my complete exhaust installed by Rüffer in Germany and I stayed in the work shop while they where mounting it.
I was surprised it took a lot of time to just position everything just wright, but at the end the result was more the ok for me.

Tip : After the finished the mounting and I was satified with the result they spot welded al the parts

This was the result

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
RCZ-Performance said:
Looking good Jim but yes it is too low.

If you spend a little time adjusting and maybe trimming here and there you will be able to raise the exhaust and the tips will be higher and closer to the factory rear valance because it is too low at the moment as you have mentioned and shown in the photos.

Each RCZ seems to be a little different and so additional trimming and adjusting is required.

The problem is the RHS tail pipe connects to the cross pipe at a 45 degree angle, so it can be twisted to the right which raises the trim but points it outwards or to the left which points it down and inwards. There is only one position where it points level and directly backwards. The height is then set by the hanger which has no vertical adjustment.

We did consider cutting the rear bulkhead as shown in picture 4 to allow us to raise the whole back box and keep it sitting square however as this is a metal plate and part of the rear structure I didn't want to do that. The other option was the heat up and put a flat spot in the top pipe to allow clearance but again I thought this may just accelerate the metal fatigue that all exhaust suffer from.

I will have another go at it at some point because it just doesn't sit right with me at the moment.

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
DanRo said:
Tip : After the finished the mounting and I was satified with the result they spot welded al the parts

Yes Dan I was going to spot weld it but didn't as I wasn't happy with the position. Did you see what modification they made to yours to position it correctly ? I suspect they would have had the same issues I had with the top pipe / bulkhead clash ?

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
In order to raise the exhaust you will need to adjust and yes this might require trimming into metal panels (although nothing done will weaken the strength of the car). I know this seems wrong or strange or extreme but it isn't and we have had to do this to ours, and so have many others that have bought an after market exhaust (not just the Ruffer). The exhaust is larger than factory and may require these modifications.

Here is what ours looks like after making adjustments:

Although we have the Ruffer Rear Valance the exhaust still requires slight adjustment. If the system was built to fit in the exact place you want it, it might not and then you might not have any adjustment capabilities. So think of it as a starting point and adjust as needed to your liking :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Looks like some helpful advice above. I don't profess to have any answer for you and, like you, wouldn't be happy with them sitting as they do. Keep us posted with developments and that post of the fitting is fantastic.

DanRo

Reaction score
I have another tip, paint the pipes, clamps and body matt black
They have not changed anything to my cat, do They didn't cut anyting

RCZ-Performance

Reaction score
DanRo said:
I have another tip, paint the pipes, clamps and body matt black
They have not changed anything to my cat, do They didn't cut anyting

Good suggestion.

It is not necessary to cut into the car to get the exhaust sorted, but only a suggestion if all else doesn't work. Loosening up the exhaust and moving muffler and pipes about will eventually get sorted.

Jimbrodie1

Reaction score
I'm going to have another crack at raising the tail pipes tomorrow. Will start with loosening the whole thing and working backwards from the RHS tail pipe.

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow night.

If I have time I'm also going to paint the brake disc centres black and calipers red. Again pics to follow if I get them done.

A

Anonymous

Looks MUCH better IMO and I am so happy that YOU are pleased with them. Now...all we need is to hear them... ;)