What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

what's happened?

Evil Derboy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MaX83 said:
Thanks for the feedback. What do you think of the idea about donations from the members to keep the ads away?

Ads are the widely accepted norm for revenue generation on web publications and what I've implemented on every forum or blog I've ever run. Asking for donations can create trust issues (not to mention accountability for how the donations are spent) and can annoy those that have no objection to a few unobtrusive ads.

I've no plans to change course on this and potentially alienate users by asking them for payment. The Sun.co.uk lost 70% of its readership when it started charging for access. A bit different from this situation but you get the picture.

Paid-for access in any form is a bad thing in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

Evil Derboy said:
MaX83 said:
Thanks for the feedback. What do you think of the idea about donations from the members to keep the ads away?

Ads are the widely accepted norm for revenue generation on web publications and what I've implemented on every forum or blog I've ever run. Asking for donations can create trust issues and can annoy those that have no objection to a few unobtrusive ads, so I've no plans to change course on this and potentially alienate users by asking them for payment.

Its your forum.

A

Anonymous

frankvdb said:
OO58RON said:
Evil Derboy said:
Ron - the site costs money and as the user numbers and visitors to the site increases so does the cost. Advertising is a way to recoup that. There's only one advert on each forum page. I've deliberately made sure that the ads aren't too obtrusive with only one ad after the first post in a topic and one at the bottom of the index or search along with some unobtrusive text links at the top of the index page, so I think "all over the place" is a bit unfair...

Must just seems like everywhere cos it's so damn intrusive and horrible :thumbdown: However I now know that I can get 25% off of a new SKoda. You learn something every day and I really did need to know that :thumbdown:

I use an ad-blocker and it works well.

Tell me more. Where do I get the ad blocker and how will I install it? I find these ad seriously irritating :thumbdown: I would prefer to pay and be ad free. But clearly that is not an option. Democracy is a lovely concept, don't you think?

A

Anonymous

Ads like this will definitely make me stop visiting the site... at least jassy will rejoice!

A

Anonymous

.....mmmmmm ......if I end up buying another soddin' pair or Emu boots 'cos of the adverts on here.... you'll all be asked to contribute ha ha :lol: :lol:

Evil Derboy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OO58RON said:
Democracy is a lovely concept, don't you think?

You can't please everyone. :beer:

MaX83 said:
Ads like this will definitely make me stop visiting the site... at least jassy will rejoice!

You do realise that ad's are served up to you individually by google based on your browsing history?

A

Anonymous

Evil Derboy said:
OO58RON said:
Democracy is a lovely concept, don't you think?

You can't please everyone. :beer:

MaX83 said:

You do realise that ad's are served up to you individually by google based on your browsing history?

Oh issit. I've seen that aljeera ad, a mahindra ad and a stupid insurance ad. None of those items I have EVER Googled! And you implying i would google something like that is a serious insult!!!!!

A

Anonymous

How appropriate is a 25% off a Skoda ad? and no I have never considered looking at one, so google ain't that clever :evil:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
How appropriate is a 25% off a Skoda ad? and no I have never considered looking at one, so google ain't that clever :evil:

There is no point, he think he knows everything so we might aswell crack-on with the ad blockers.

A

Anonymous

MaX83 said:
OO58RON said:

There is no point, he think he knows everything so we might aswell crack-on with the ad blockers.

A forum aint a forum without regular contributors. I need to know where to get and how to use the blockers, cos it's doing my head in. I never ever watch ITV cos I can't abide adverts, I don't listen to commercial radio, cos I can't stand adverts. I don't bl$$dy want them here either :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
MaX83 said:
OO58RON said:

A forum aint a forum without regular contributors. I need to know where to get and how to use the blockers, cos it's doing my head in. I never ever watch ITV cos I can't abide adverts, I don't listen to commercial radio, cos I can't stand adverts. I don't bl$$dy want them here either :thumbdown:

What browser are you using. Link I posted is for Firefox but I am sure I can help you get something for one of the other browsers.

A

Anonymous

MaX83 said:
What browser are you using. Link I posted is for Firefox but I am sure I can help you get something for one of the other browsers.
I use Google Chrome

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Evil Derboy said:
The Sun.co.uk lost 70% of its readership when it started charging for access.

I only went on it for the B00bs :lol:

I am personally OK with the ads. The only one I don't like is the one on the banner, but that has always been there and I'm used to it :)

As many people say, "Its your car, you do what you want with it"
I say the same about the forum. This forum isn't anywhere near active enough to start charging people to use it, and the content isn't exactly encyclopedia standard.

The last forum I was on, had over 50k members signed up and with its content, you could have completely dismantled the car and put it back together again, aswell as guides on retro fitting and upgrading. And even that struggles to get enough money to keep running month on month.

Thats my 2 cents, and everyone is entitled to their opinion :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
MaX83 said:
I use Google Chrome
And there they were gone :clap: Peace and harmony restored :D

Evil Derboy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Bear in mind that this forum is a free service to it's users, that costs me money and time to run and maintain (and improve). By using Ad-blocking extensions you disrupt the revenue return that the site generates, in turn harming the very site that you are freely using at no cost to you.

It's your choice of course but one would think that if you enjoy and use the site so much you would want to support it.

I find it incredulous and fantastical that RON doesn't watch any commercial TV channel with advertising (you mentioned ITV but I assume this would extend to any TV channel with adverts). I also fail to see what the fuss is about since almost every website on the planet has advertising on it.

As for Google targeting your browsing history and serving up relevant adverts, well that's down to Google not me. We merely provide the place to put them.

It's my experience that there is always a vocal minority in the negative when it comes to changes made to a site but I will wager that the majority of users aren't that bothered and those that are initially, feel differently once they get used to the changes and they become the norm.

Anyway, everyone's entitled to their opinion and I welcome all feedback, good or bad so thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

We as a household view approx 2Hrs of TV per week. BBC for TV and radio. I would support this site with my money and have now taken steps to stop the adverts being foisted upon me. I choose to use the forum and choose not to watch adverts.

A

Anonymous

Evil Derboy said:
Bear in mind that this forum is a free service to it's users, that costs me money and time to run and maintain (and improve). By using Ad-blocking extensions you disrupt the revenue return that the site generates, in turn harming the very site that you are freely using at no cost to you.

It's your choice of course but one would think that if you enjoy and use the site so much you would want to support it.

I find it incredulous and fantastical that RON doesn't watch any commercial TV channel with advertising (you mentioned ITV but I assume this would extend to any TV channel with adverts). I also fail to see what the fuss is about since almost every website on the planet has advertising on it.

As for Google targeting your browsing history and serving up relevant adverts, well that's down to Google not me. We merely provide the place to put them.

It's my experience that there is always a vocal minority in the negative when it comes to changes made to a site but I will wager that the majority of users aren't that bothered and those that are initially, feel differently once they get used to the changes and they become the norm.

Anyway, everyone's entitled to their opinion and I welcome all feedback, good or bad so thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

I agree with this. Sites like this do not come for free and there needs to be some form of compensation/remuneration for the owner.

I would prefer not to have to pay to visit this site, or any others I regularly view (not 'those' kind of sites you're thinking this sounds like!). Therefore, I'm supportive of the ads and they don't really bother me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

I currently get an overlay window that says I should not use an add-blocker and which prevents me from clicking, reading the posting or replying.

So far a simple reload of the page does solve it (and doubles the site's load BTW), but if it's changed to stay there even after a reload, or if I get too annoyed of it, I will stop visiting this site.
Quite simple. I don't need peugeotrczforum.co.uk, and it doesn't need me.

I don't have a problem with adds per se, but with Google tracking my surfing behaviour via those adds.

If you have read a bit about the recent NSA and GCHQ disclosures you should understand my reaction.

A

Anonymous

TomC said:
I currently get an overlay window that says I should not use an add-blocker and which prevents me from :clicking, reading the posting or replying.

So far a simple reload of the page does solve it (and doubles the site's load BTW), but if it's changed to stay there even after a reload, or if I get too annoyed of it, I will stop visiting this site.
Quite simple. I don't need peugeotrczforum.co.uk, and it doesn't need me.

I don't have a problem with adds per se, but with Google tracking my surfing behaviour via those adds.

If you have read a bit about the recent NSA and GCHQ disclosures you should understand my reaction.

I did have the same issue this morning. Nudge nudge wink wink. The forum does need you Tom and others like you, for it is such people who pass on invaluable information. Information like how best to over come some "technical" issues that you may be experiencing. (Thank you for that helpful piece on information and the link by the way) :eusa-shhh: and besides I would miss your avatar :oops: