What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

what next

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Now, back in the bad old days (not that bad really) before the "good life" here, we changed a motor every three years, especially my daily steed, which would clock up maybe a hundred miles a day.
The 108 is not a candidate, having done silly kms and is 2016 anyway.
The RCZ is new to the stable, and the novelty has not worn off.
The Mondeo has been transferred to the family in Madrid.
So, the 2014 5008 is in focus.
Our need for seven seats is diminishing, partly as we are hosting less, and now that a Land Cruiser is part of the wider fleet.
What we need and what we want are now two totally different things, so logic and practicality are low in the priorities.
It may be that we stick with the 5008, or not!
A classic motor is attractive until the costs of maintenance are considered.
But perhaps a "classic" marque with all mod cons is a compromise.
I am not splashing out on a supercar, in spite of my drooling over them.
Maybe a Jag "S" type about ten years old would be classy but feasible.
And an auto possibly, which would be a first, when most of the kids' wheels are no longer manual, which they think quaint.
Any suggestions welcome, but bear in mind old bones and muscles have steered me away from lunatic wheels like the Zero which the RCZ replaced.
Speak up! :helpme:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
What about an SUV - Range Rover, Evoke,or similar :?:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
What about an SUV - Range Rover, Evoke,or similar :?:
The vertically challenged one moans and requests a step ladder when confronted with embarking/disembarking tall motors - remember Benny Hill in The Italian Job helping large lady to board bus? :oops: :lol:

Attachments

• bennybus.jpg
    bennybus.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 2,250

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
'Tis early in the year, but not anticipating major expenditure on other capital items, my thoughts point at a budget for a replacement of the 5008.
Whilst attracted to a classic, the service we get at our local Pug man pulls me towards evaluating yet another Pug.
Getting lazier, an auto (would be my first, owned) beckons.
Long haul with capacity for small furniture, etc. would compliment the 108 and RCZ so SW (estate) version.
So, starting off, I am drawn to 508 2.0 BlueHDi 180 GT 5dr (SW) Auto, about a couple of years old.
I guess it is a bit of a cowards way out, for trade in and support, but this model does look attractive, bearing in mind functionality - can shift half a ton of produce, etc. but does lack the extra seats, which we have only used in the 5008 a couple of times, anyway.
Anybody have anything bad, or good, to say about this motor? :?:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
So, 'er ladyship is off on one of her jaunts with her sister. :roll:
Italy is the target, having glanced against it in a sailing ship cruise last year.
Venice, Rome, and Florence are to be graced with their presence and dosh.
Making things fair means I can indulge in choice of the 5008 replacement. :thumbup:
Pug 508 SW was looking favourite, if, for no other reason, the service we get from our Pug man is exceptional. :eusa-think:
However, I am drawn, partly due to nostalgia, to another brand with a pussy cat on the front of the bonnet. :D
Once the summer is upon us and the sap has risen, I shall make a more reasoned decision. ;)
Your input is welcome. :?:
Not a lot (zero) of feedback last time.
:beer:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Can’t really help on the 508 front. I’ve only had few Pugs previously, and that wasn’t one of them.

As for Jag’s, a friend of mine had the odd Porsche, but mainly Merc’s & Beamers, and eventually settled on a Jag. He told me it was the best car he had ever had, so if you are thinking of going down that route, it’s possible something you wouldn’t regret. :eusa-think:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Can’t really help on the 508 front. I’ve only had few Pugs previously, and that wasn’t one of them.

As for Jag’s, a friend of mine had the odd Porsche, but mainly Merc’s & Beamers, and eventually settled on a Jag. He told me it was the best car he had ever had, so if you are thinking of going down that route, it’s possible something you wouldn’t regret. :eusa-think:
At the mo', quite smitten by the "X" or the more modern "XF"; either in what they call the Sportbreak (estate) would sort of fit the hole left when the 5008 is retired, albeit not seven seater.
Might get my act together mid-summer, by which time I night have changed my mind a few times! :oops:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I think it was the XF that my friend bought. Nice car :thumbup:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
You don’t tend to hear many bad reports about Mercs. :eusa-think:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
My Brother had several in his lifetime, and I know he liked them. The friend of mine I mentioned had a Jag, I was telling him I had “used” him on the forum, and he told me he had just swapped his Jag in for a Merc, having had several in the past.
Any car that people tend to stick with or go back to can’t be all bad :thumbup:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
Jesus, my car procurement and disposal agent (he flogged the Zero) is now tasked with finding me a cracking 220D auto estate Merc. :thumbup:
As he is a manager at the main Merc concessionaires, he should be able to sniff out a trade-in that foots the bill. :eusa-think:
Watch this space. :sleeping-yellow:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Can’t really go wrong with divine intervention :eusa-think: :eusa-whistle:

stewartwillsher

Reaction score
The bus has gone.
I have dosh, so once I fire the starter's gun, I shall be a buyer.
Not wishing to carry produce or other bulk finca items in LGN (she'd scratch my eyes out!) it has to be an estate to replace the 5008.
I still prefer the torque and relaxed manner of a diesel, and family steer me towards an auto.
So ...
Candidates, in no particular order are:
Honda Accord Tourer diesel auto
Jaguar X type Sportbreak Diesel auto
BMW 5 series estate diesel auto
Merc C220 estate diesel auto
Ford Mondeo estate diesel auto
Peugeot 508 SW diesel auto
Jaguar XF Sportbreak diesel auto
Volvo V70 estate diesel auto
Audi A6 wagon diesel auto

Any cries of horror will be noted and a possible black mark applied.
Am also willing to consider additions to the list, even at this late stage.

Front runner at the mo' is the Jag X type (not the XF).
Class interior (wood/leather/carpet), reliable and low maint, as it is really just a posh Mondeo; more compact than some more modern estates, so it will get down tight streets and into the garage at holiday home, which was nigh impossible with the bus.
It has all the bells and whistles I want.
I can pick up a low kilometre, last off the production line (2008/9) for pocket money from Germany or other Northern Europe parts.
Here's a couple of examples:
https://www.autoscout24.es/anuncios/jag ... ?cldtidx=2
https://www.autoscout24.es/anuncios/jag ... ?cldtidx=3

DKZ5745

Reaction score
They both sound like they will fit the bill just right for you, age and mileage wise, I think of the two you listed, I would go for the black one, lower mileage (although not vastly important with these cars) and very little difference in age. (I also think it looks better, although I suppose the white would reflect the heat better).

It depends on a couple of things really. How quick you need a replacement for the bus, and whether or not you think one of these might already fit the bill, if so, why keep looking?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
What about the 3008 or its bigger brother the 5008, I like both of these.
the new 508 sabertooth I think is gorgeous, but then again it has been noted I'm a bit of a Peugeot nut.

Good luck and happy times motoring, it'll be a nice stable you have there Mr Stewie.

One kind of shopping I can abide - the motoring type !!

RCZIain

Staff member
Reaction score
2.2 508 GT are all diesel auto, 204bhp. I had one. Good car. I had the Saloon, but probably just as good in estate.
They also do a GT Line which is the 2.0 blueHDI which is lower power, 180bhp.