What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

WATER IN TYRE WELL ???

A

Anonymous

I have noticed on a few occasion that there is water gathering in the tyrewell, i know some owners have mentioned about rain running from the boot lid into the boot when it is opened in the rain, but the amount i'm finding every few weeks is a bit of a concern, probably a good eighth of an inch tonight.
I've also noticed that the rear window has constantly got condensation down low running parallel with the parcel shelf.

I have gone round with a hose pipe but just cannot find any leaks and all carpets ect feel dry even in the boot and there doesnt seem to be a water run marks going into the tyrewell.
So i'm really at a loss as to how and where this water is coming from :eusa-think:

I do have a full size spare wheel in the tyrewell (under-inflated) could this be causing condensation , just a thought :?:

Any thoughts ?

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
I have noticed on a few occasion that there is water gathering in the tyrewell, i know some owners have mentioned about rain running from the boot lid into the boot when it is opened in the rain, but the amount i'm finding every few weeks is a bit of a concern, probably a good eighth of an inch tonight.
I've also noticed that the rear window has constantly got condensation down low running parallel with the parcel shelf.

I have gone round with a hose pipe but just cannot find any leaks and all carpets ect feel dry even in the boot and there doesnt seem to be a water run marks going into the tyrewell.
So i'm really at a loss as to how and where this water is coming from :eusa-think:

I do have a full size spare wheel in the tyrewell (under-inflated) could this be causing condensation , just a thought :?:

Any thoughts ?

Hi mate hope your ok :thumbup: the rear screen does condensate a lot in this cold weather as i have notice.But your water in the boot is not caused by condensation move like ingress of water wether its opening the boot lid a lot or a leak/broken seal somwhere :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Alright buddy, yeah not too bad, its all sinking in a bit now.

So this boot , i hope its not a leak but in reality theres too much water for it to be anything else. :(
The wife thinks its running off the boot in bad weather when its opened but i'm not so sure.
i just soaked the whole of the car so i will check it in the morning.

i wandered if it was spray from under the car going in through the drain plug in the tyre well but the water looks far too clean :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Buy a couple of goldfish! ;)

.... sorry to make light of it ... I was gonna suggest a lost rubber plug or something, but if the water's clean it must be coming from above rather than below...

Job for the dealer?

A

Anonymous

yeah i'm going give it a few days in the rain , and see what happens, i've emptied the boot so that i can get a good look.

I noticed it just a few days after getting the car but i thought that perhaps it was condensation, the odd thing is that it can rain for 40 days and 40 nights but there is nothing showing then all of a sudden days later the tyre well is wet after it has stopped raining ?

A

Anonymous

Ok bit of an update.

This may sound strange, but since i took the spare wheel out and it has rained quite hard for the last 2 days and the boot is completely dry.

I'm thinking that the tyre is somehow causing condensation in the tyrewell, thing is because of the lack of room for a spare the foam insulation is removed for the wheel & tyre to fit into the well and the tyre sits tight up against the steel tyre well wall with no insulation in between, perhaps i'm wrong, but everytime i remove the spare and check after a few more days the boot is dry, but then when i put it back within a few days theres water ?

I'm gonna leave the boot empty for a few more days just to see what happens.

A

Anonymous

what i did with mine jactac was !! wrap it up in a dust sheet this also helps stop the vibration :eusa-shhh: ..hope this helps :thumbup: up the jac army :lol:

FGRob

Reaction score
jactac said:
Ok bit of an update.

This may sound strange, but since i took the spare wheel out and it has rained quite hard for the last 2 days and the boot is completely dry.
Now there's a surprise, think about it you have a great large lump of alloy / rubber sitting in a thin exposed steel wheel well who's temperature can varie as much as 10 deg C from garage to outside (if put in a garage) so condensation will be your problem, covering will help but once the cover gets wet it's going to make matters worse, no real solution except to leave it out and only use it when you go on a long journey.

I have no spare with the Mini, in fact no real place to put one any way, but at least I get a jack :dance: :lol: :lol: :lol: for runflats :crazy: :crazy: :lol: :lol: :lol: I really don't understand manufacturers when they do these sort of things, oh well roll on the snow :twisted: :twisted:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

May sound daft but i feel better now knowing that the spare is causing the problem, i did suspect that this was the problem but it's good to have it confirmed.
Its far better than having a leak. :(

Thanks for the advice and tips. :beer:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
May sound daft but i feel better now knowing that the spare is causing the problem, i did suspect that this was the problem but it's good to have it confirmed.
Its far better than having a leak. :(

Thanks for the advice and tips. :beer:

here me..!!! i was thinking :eusa-think: of a nicname for your car as well..................... The Hms Jactactitanic................... :lol: :lol:

A

Anonymous

I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer model, something with a bit of class but is not affected by condensation in the boot.

maybe something simple like this.

Attachments

• tuning23.jpg
    tuning23.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 4,236
A

Anonymous

:text-goodpost:

Nice picture :clap:

Glad you got to the root of the problem.

One query I would have is whether the metal is strong enough to hold a spare wheel as it clearly wasn't designed to hold such a weight.
I just have the plastic / foamy tray thing, with a load of CDs in - due to the radio not taking my i-pod :thumbdown: :cry:

Wonder in around 12 months time - or earlier - whether we start seeing postings about issues with the "tyre well" :eusa-think:

FGRob

Reaction score
Gorwell said:
:
One query I would have is whether the metal is strong enough to hold a spare wheel as it clearly wasn't designed to hold such a weight.
I just have the plastic / foamy tray thing, with a load of CDs in - due to the radio not taking my i-pod :thumbdown: :cry:

Wonder in around 12 months time - or earlier - whether we start seeing postings about issues with the "tyre well" :eusa-think:
Not really an issue, the metal is fully protected with an E coat system so a little water is not going to do a great deal, it's a common problem due to our poor weather here in the UK, I get condensation on my 2 over winter and that's in the garage, mainly on the heavy cast suspension parts, but as long as they are protected with either a good paint system or waxoyl they are fine.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Rob is correct, i have looked and there is a protective coating on the outside of the well, and also mine is still bone dry since i removed the spare.

I can understand why this condensation appears, but for a spare wheel to cause this is a bit mad.

The well needs to be big enough to take a wheel AND some sort of foam support to insulate against the cold steel wall of the well, as we all know the RCZ does not come with a spare but I had a full size alloy and tyre as part of the deal, but it only just fits in and is tight against the steel wall of the well with no foam support.

Maybe a space saver wheel in a foam support is the answer.

In my Astra the wheel sat in a solid foam support that dropped into the well.

Like rob said its not a huge issue, at least we know it's not a leak, but I would like to try and find a way of eliminating or at least reducing the condensation that the alloy wheel is causing as I think the dampness in the boot it is adding to the rear window condensating up on cold damp days.

Is there some sort of fabfic that i could wrap the wheel in to act as a barrier

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Rob is correct, i have looked and there is a protective coating on the outside of the well, and also mine is still bone dry since i removed the spare.

Thanks Both :thumbup:

jactac said:
...the RCZ does not come with a spare but I had a full size alloy and tyre as part of the deal...

Wow, nice deal :clap:
Wish I'd known about Perry's MK before I'd bought my car :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Marcus is THE man :clap:

Little update on the water in the well. I've noticed that the floor of the boot, on the exhaust side gets very warm after a journey, it is protected on the underside from the exhaust but it still gets warm to the touch, so this is obviously going to cause condensation on cold/damp days inside the cold steel tyre well.

I'm trying to find a fabric that i can lay in the well to act as a barrier, but it cant be too thick as i wont be able to get the spare in, which is a tight fit anyway.

Its great having a full size alloy spare, however to solve this problem i think Peugeot should give a space saver wheel that is sat in a foam tyre well insert, plus the heat from the exhaust needs to be deflected away from the boot floor more efficiently.