What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Warming up period

A

Anonymous

Hi All,

Just a question regarding the warming up period of the engine from cold. Having driven German vehicles mostly in the past I am used to the engine being at normal operating temperature within 3 street blocks from home. With the RCZ I noticed on mornings with temperatures below 10 degrees C even after 5 km it is still not at normal operating temperature. Is this normal? With higher daytime temperatures it is much faster to get to temperature though.

I ask because I like to take it easy until the engine is on temperature and being only 7km from work it don't give me any time to "enjoy" it.

renegade79

Reaction score
that's perfectly normal. my diesel takes 5 to 10 mins on a cold day to get up to temperature!

2retro

Reaction score
Solution: Take the long way to work! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I have a slightly different experience to you. While my RCZ take ages and ages to warm up like yours (so yes, your car appears normal unless mine has a fault too!) my girlfriend's mkv 1.6 FSI Golf is also every bit as slow and that one is of course German...

The only cars I've experienced with quick warm up times are my Honda HRV and my old MG ZS.

A

Anonymous

I guess it also makes a difference where the actual temperature sender unit is mounted.

A

Anonymous

I have noted it depends on what sort of driving you do from the off

I was in Oxford last week and turned out of the hotel and straight into traffic it was 10 minutes and maybe 3-4 k before it hit normal temp

However turning out of my estate its 2 minutes to dual carriage way and while I wont drive the Z hard while cold my guess is its 3 minutes to normal temp is achieved

I'm guessing it has a lot to do with if the Turbo is in as they generate heat?

A

Anonymous

Coolant temperature had no direct relationship to oil temperature, which is what you need to know if you want to boot your car! I normall allow 10 to 15 mins of normal driving before putting my foot down as the oil should reach the right temperature to fully protect engine wear and turbo use when booting, only reason manufactures fit a temp gauge for coolant is so you can see if the car hits red then take action, some high end sports car have oil bar gauge plus oil temp and also have a restricted rev range to prevent premature engine wear

Tomas_90

Reaction score
3 minutes to reach normal operating temps? It has to be seriously warm outside then.

When it's about 0-5ºC my car takes onward of 10 minutes to hit 90º, when it's 15ºC outside it takes around 5 minutes, and somewhat quicker the warmer it is outside....

This is setting off from home going straight up to 85 km/h and keeping it there for almost the full "warm up period".

A

Anonymous

I think it might be something to do with the temperature sensor fault that we all appeared to have and most got fixed. Mine (200 THP) has been a lot slower warming up since I've had the modification

A

Anonymous

I have a Merc AMG with the oil temp readout, and rule of thumb is that the oil temp increases about 5 degrees every minute of driving 50-60-70 km/h - until it reaches about 60-70 deg C, then it slows down.
So for your oil to reach 60 deg allow at least 10 minutes of sensible driving before putting your foot in it.

A

Anonymous

Biggyrick said:
Coolant temperature had no direct relationship to oil temperature, which is what you need to know if you want to boot your car! I normall allow 10 to 15 mins of normal driving before putting my foot down as the oil should reach the right temperature to fully protect engine wear and turbo use when booting, only reason manufactures fit a temp gauge for coolant is so you can see if the car hits red then take action, some high end sports car have oil bar gauge plus oil temp and also have a restricted rev range to prevent premature engine wear

Actually, oil temperature has connection to coolant temperature. The faster coolant temperature increases from cold engine, the faster oil temperature increases. Coolant temperature is what really determine how hot or cold engine stays.

Ikenna, Lion King.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Oil temperature closely follows coolant temperature as it rises. 10 minutes (depending on driving style/traffic conditions/speed/ambient temperature etc) will give you @ half way to optimum.
I'm afraid I often don't follow my own advice regarding not pushing the car until optimum temperature has been reached.

Attachments

• IMG_0753.JPG
    IMG_0753.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 14,421

RCZ-R

Reaction score
@DKZ

Does it actually show any values on those two bars while driving? And if so, are there any numbers to it?
Thanks!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Yes, the values rise as the car warms up, and you can see the relationship between the water & oil temperature. There are no numbers unfortunately, just blue coloured bars. I will try to take another photo when it's warmed up.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, the OH had the car this morning, I'm afraid I was too ill to stop her (Gastroenteritice) Merry Christmas :thumbdown:

Anyway, when she brought it back I took a quick shot of that screen, showing both levels almost to optimum.....

Attachments

• IMG_0756.JPG
    IMG_0756.JPG
    248.9 KB · Views: 14,323

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Thanks a lot! :greetings-wavingblue:

Looks like this is the output of a temperature simulation also utilized by the car's ECU. It simulates the oil temperature based on the coolant temperature and the load applied to the engine. It is absolutely sufficient for what it does.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
rcz200it said:
Forget 90c it is not correct.. try an obd and you will find it is running between 105/107c

Correct. And which is normal for euro6 petrol engines

drdino

Reaction score
RCZ-R said:
Thanks a lot! :greetings-wavingblue:

Looks like this is the output of a temperature simulation also utilized by the car's ECU. It simulates the oil temperature based on the coolant temperature and the load applied to the engine. It is absolutely sufficient for what it does.
Not a simulation, this is real data.

RCZ-R said:
rcz200it said:
Forget 90c it is not correct.. try an obd and you will find it is running between 105/107c

Correct. And which is normal for euro6 petrol engines

Not much to do with Euro type, this is how these engines work. Even my Euro 5 EP6DTX works around these temperatures normally. Of course it's not static as the thermostat is electronically controlled, for example under certain conditions the ECM will lower the coolant temperature well below 90 degrees.