What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Time to say goodbye

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
Well just to close this off, I've now had my new car for just over a week, in the end went for a Mini Countryman Cooper D All4 - long name for what should be a small car, which it certainly is not. Not everyones cup of tea but it ticks all the right boxes for what I need including a decent dealership :eusa-whistle: It's not a looker but it still attracts attention purely because there's not a great deal about at the moment, I've seen more RCZ's in a week since I've had the Mini. :lol: :lol:

Hi Rob, how would you rate the damping,sound in cabin and general feel of you'r countryman :eusa-think: managed a quick test drive some time ago,but as everything was so rushed i was unable to obtain a proper account as half an hour is not a true reflection,but i did feel the cabin was quite spacious and very quiet :eusa-think:

How would you compare living with both car's(Mini Rcz) as you are the ideal person to ask,as this is one example i will be seriously concidering in March along with the Japanese coupe's arriving soon.
Thanks.

FGRob

Reaction score
Hi Dolanog.

Interesting question, timing for me is perfect, if people don't mind the discussion that is.

Just returned from a 1000 mile round trip to Belgium, almost identical to the one I did last year in the RCZ. What are the two cars like, well the RCZ is a great tourer, eats up the miles with a good return, but the Mini is just as good, you do get some noise from the run flats - mainly concrete or the re-graded country roads, as for the engine, you cannot hear it on the motorway, pulls OK, but it's not a RCZ, if I wanted that I would have gone for the SD. Around town the engine is responsive, does what it needs too, plus it's got stop / start fitted which makes it very quiet at junctions :lol: There is more body roll due to the height, but it does have the benefit of that go anywhere feel about it, going over the cobbles in Brugee was no problem whereas the RCZ was a little out of it's comfort zone.

Cabin space is totally different, the Mini wins hands down, even with the same luggage as last year I just got it all in the boot so the back seats were left in the normal position - plenty of room also in the front. The interesting part is I could not feel the weight in the back, it drove very well, where I could feel it in the RCZ, I think this is due to the bigger overhang.

The seating is equal in comfort, although I do love the RCZ seats (GT) - the Mini is fitted with the half leather sports seats, which offers the same support, pedal gap is a pleasure - no problems with getting my foot stuck between the clutch and the side of the gearbox tunnel.

Overall for me the Mini was not a bad choice as a replacement, the biggest plus is firstly the 4 wheel drive - last year the RCZ was laid up for 2 weeks due to the snow, and secondly the space and general access to the rear seats, especially now the Grand Son has arrived - need to get a car seat in the back.

Other benefits - DAB radio, love the mood lighting - great touch if you've not seen it before and finally the general quality of materials used in the workings of the car - not interior I'm talking suspension etc.

So I hope this as given you a better idea of what these cars are like, the Mini suits my situation better, but then again when I brought the RZC I did not have a Grand Son to consider :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Thank's Rob.

Yes what you say is probably what i expected,i will add im quite taken back how much cabin space i found.It's a tough call having a test drive and making a decision but two distinct features stood out on the mini was the lack of road noise and build quality on certain trim you tend to ignore,so not a huge issue :eusa-think:

As i said on the forum,March 2012 is my cut off for the Rcz,i understand now there will be no radical change so im selling,and i do look for an alternative,the mini is a good option as is the forthcoming Jap coupe's due in early 2012 will probably dominate that sector pushing the Rcz down the league table,2013 for the new TT and Scirocco is sadly 2 far away and the depreciation would sting my current Rcz to hang on a further 12 months.

Keep saying but many do not agree,badly wanted Peugeot to maintain the evolution of the Rcz for 2012 i would be the first to exchange for the updated version,but common sense dictate's and this time the head will win over the heart and sadly another manufactorer on the driveway :crazy:

Thank's for the input,

Aled.

A

Anonymous

Hi Dolanog,

I'm really surprised that that you think manufacturers (any of them , not just Peugeot) have got enough money to start making major changes to a model only 12 - 15 months out from launch. They need a clear run of sales for 24 months to 36 months to start to recoup the initial product development investment before spending out again. Don't forget it's not just as simple as making a few changes....minor changes have to be tested, evaluated , may mean the car has to be type approved again. Changes to bodywork such as a revised front end may have to be re crash tested.... at massive expense.

I admire your enthusiasm but believe there was never any chance that there would be major revisions to rcz for 2012, there will be some tweaks to the petrol engines that will very slightly lower the co2 figures but that's about it at the moment.

I would be amazed if there wasn't plenty of interior space in a countryman , it's only about 250mm shorter than a Peugeot 3008... it ain't "mini" :p

Regards

Marcus

A

Anonymous

Marcus :wave:

Will not let my enthusiasm wilt on the Rcz you know my feeling's just at this particular moment slightly disillusioned with what could have been :eusa-think: no more to say on that topic.

However still active and enjoy this forum,need to know a few queries if you could assist.

1) You mentioned reduction on Co2,however do you you see an increase on the 200(THP) to the rumoured 211bhp :clap:

2) On the 163 HDi,any details on a the anticipated 2.2 HDi for 2012 :eusa-think:

As you can see my heart still with the Rcz but need that carrot on the dangly string to stop baiting to keep me straying to the anticipated Japanese invasion :wtf:

Thanks,

Aled. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi Aled,

1)The co2 reductions will not lead to an increase in published bhp figures for the cars. The co2 on the 156 the will drop from 155g/km to 149g/km. On the 200 the the co2 will drop from 159g/km to 155g/km. However you may have noticed there is 2 members who have taken their 200's to Superchips....both cars in standard form appeared to be producing well in excess of 200 bhp :D (both threads in the tuning and mods section)

2)I've read every letter that Peugeot have sent to dealers about Rcz and there is no mention at all of a 2.2hdi going into the rcz , if one is coming you can trust me that you will be the second person to know...but there will be a slight delay as I will need a few minutes to order mine before I pm you with the details :p :mrgreen:

Regards

Marcus

A

Anonymous

Thank's for details Marcus :)

Putting my cards on the table,and i do apologise for the current lack of enthusiasm for the Rcz but must include,is not my local dealer,they are possibly the oldest Peugeot family dealer in Wales i proudly purchased my 205GTi's in the early years and their customer service is without complaint and never been an issue.

However my Rcz has had a few issues,will not bore you with a full list but predominantly,dash rattles,exhaust baffle noises,wing mirror noises on close/opening,and yes the old moan the uncompromising suspension (200THP) which appears to be getting firmer as the miles pile..Cabin noise is personal gripe and not an area all drivers would agree,but to be fair i have driven and heard far worse.

By March 2012 we should all be aware of test results from the forthcoming BZR and FT86,as a true petrolhead im then looking forward to the grouptest's between these the RCZ and presumably Scirocco,the RCZ should sit in-between the Jap's and German on my train of thought :eusa-think:but i hope my views prove wrong,but with no minor facelift in 2012,which you explained well :thumbup:i genuinely think it's a tough call for the current Rcz :eusa-think:

However being a true RCZ fan,i will say this,if by March we do find these new coupe's are not what we expected,my intention is more or less decided.
(My view of the perfect RCZ as followes) :wtf: .

Sport (THP)200 manual......Charcoal or possibly Pearl white.
No extras whatsoever but must include dark grey or full pirit alloy's.

What i save on the (GT) premium i personally would add these item's

1) Feline front mesh grill,expensive option but just add's a certain aggressive individuality to that stock front end :eusa-think:

2) Superchip the (ecu) to the magic 230bhp via my Superchips dealer Mosley's in LLandeilo,superb guy's looked after my tuning needs for
20 years or so :thumbup:

3) Ruffer conversion as Zombie1066 on his 200(Thp).Milltek would be my choice of supplier but currently tied up with project's but they
confirmed the RCZ is in the pipeline.

4) Breaking claw red front rear calliper's with Brembo or similar logo.

Value for these goodies i would estimate to be around £1,500...That Marcus is what i would want from my RCZ,still cheaper than the better equipped (GT) but i have the car i need.

Am i mad :crazy: or do you agree its a well balanced conversion.

Cheers for now.

Aled. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

/rant on

Good god... what is wrong with the standard car..... I have some other rather more expensive cars in my various garages and yet I still look forward to driving the RCZ.

I suspect there is an awful lot of ego that goes into peoples assessment of the performance of these cars. I had a brand new Carrera S every year for 14 years because I thought it made my 'package' look bigger. My wife tells me it made no difference whatsoever..... :oops:

The RCZ looks nice, drives nice and has all the gadgets. I would bet that as someone who has spent a career travelling at multiples of the speed of sound that my reactions are probably faster than anyone else on this forum. I have been formally trained by some of the best in the business to drive Porsches to the very limit and yet I find no disappointment in the ride or handling of the GT200. I have said before it would be nice with a bit more acceleration but the mid range is very impressive and it powers on up to the top with ease.

The only glitch I have had with my car was corroded mirrors, changed under warranty within days of making the complaint.

Everything else I found about the car is a real pleasure. It is quiet, comfortable and turns heads and has proven to be totally reliable.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but I do find the endless banging on by a few people on this forum about how crap the car is and how they regret buying just an example of having aspirations for the car that it was never designed for or just poor research before buying. I suspect many of the complainers were looking for a cheap super car rather than a nice coupe that ticks the modern boxes.

Sometimes its worse than listening to my kids moaning about how they should have had a PSP instead of an XBOX 360.

/rant off

RCZ1

Reaction score
mr shiney said:
I suspect there is an awful lot of ego that goes into peoples assessment of the performance of these cars. I had a brand new Carrera S every year for 14 years because I thought it made my 'package' look bigger. My wife tells me it made no difference whatsoever..... :oops:

Good god man, this comment has made me spit my tea out :lol:

FGRob

Reaction score
You should let this thread drop down now or just lock it, what's been said is history, I've moved on and the only thing I would recommend, which can be summed up quiet nicely in the old saying "either have a crap or get off the pot" I'm not one for messing about when it comes to cars - hence it went quickly, which I'm glad I did as the resale value has taken a big hit this month on What Car.

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.