What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Sticky 2nd gear...

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:
I think its a quirk of the car especially noticeable when going for low power early gear shifts.

As I drive mine like I stole it, I find it goes through the box like a hot knife through butter....... :dance:

I think you're correct. This problem seems most obvious when changing into 2nd at low revs as when pulling away in heavy traffic.

A

Anonymous

Read the write up in EVO mag tonight and they reported "stodginess" of gearbox at really high temps.

Mind you they were on the Autobahn at 142Mph :lol:

A

Anonymous

RCZooM said:
I think you're correct. This problem seems most obvious when changing into 2nd at low revs as when pulling away in heavy traffic.

This is exactly where i notice it most. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

15k miles now and I still have an intermittent sticky, stodgy and clunky gearbox. I also have an issue with the clutch pedal, which often feels heavy and sticky - my dealer replaced a hydraulic pipe, but it's still the same.

I have the interior sports pack, with the short-throw gear shift (if that makes any difference).

To make changing gear even worse, the gear knob is loose and rocks from side to side (apparently Peugeot won't cover the cost of fixing this).

Not impressed really !

A

Anonymous

I was at my dealer at this week .....
In the Peugeot Service Box are several cases about this issue.
They checked the oil amount but it was OK( 2l for the HDI).
Then the technican found something which he didn´t explain/show to me.
Now the way of the cluth is different, and especially when the gearbox is cold, changing gears is much better.
TIp: The differences depends to the rev and oil temperature and from the service box the gearbox probably leaks some amount of oil (seal is missing or defect)
So your dealer should read whats written within service box, and hopefully fix it.

Sorry for my bad english

Regards

Gregor

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I was worried about my car until I read this. Mine is a 2.0HDI and is clunky into 2nd when its cold and I change at low revs, but this seems to disapear when it's warmed up. Thought maybe it was low on gearbox oil or somethins, but sounds like its just a characteristic of the car, agree? or should I take it to the dealer?

Thanks,

Anthony,

A

Anonymous

my 308cc does this as well couldn't tell if it was down to me or whether the car has always been like this as they replaced a hose on the master cylinder gear select or. As stated though this should not be like this never had a problem in my 207gt

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
RCZ1 said:
I noticed that the second gear was a bit sticky when I first got my car, but this disappeared after about 500 - 1000 miles. The key is to not force it, don't apply pressure just guide it gently and it should resolve itself.

I'm sure you're right K, others have said that it needs to have a little bit of mileage behind it to sort of bed in.
But i have a cunning plan, even if the 2nd gear glides in like a hot knife thru butter, i just may tell Mrs H that it's nearly there but not quite, this way i get to drive it more than her.
Good plan eh :twisted:

I have recently had my 13000 ml 200 Gt back into the garage to have this same problem checked out. They say it drives exactly like other RCZ's they have on stock. So, no fix. Gear change is a real pain and a little embarassing to be honest, having to feel the gear shift into the gate. Higher miles aren't gonna make the problem go away. It look like a Peugeot quirk. Guess I'll have to get used to it.

I've had 16 peformance saloons from many manufacturers during 40 yrs experience of driving and I have to say this problem is very annoying. But don't you just love this car. Best just ignore the problems and sit and stare at the car.

A

Anonymous

So my 2nd gear is not sticky.. It is Locked out. My car now has 4200Kms on it and the change is only getting worse. When I first got it it was fine. Now if I change from 1st to 2nd at 4k rpm doing about 30kmph I hit netural then head to second cant get it much further then netural. Wait a moment try again. Nope. Wait a moment try again and it finally goes in. Whole process takes 1-2 seconds. By that time I am back to about 25kmph. When I do finally get second I get a awesome clunk that follows.. Would of though it had a better gearbox for how much coin I had to pay for it.

A

Anonymous

My rcz had 34000 ml and it's sticky and locked sometimes from 2nd - sixth .. and it's strting when i want to drive fast
sorry if my english not so fine :)

A

Anonymous

Burnt out clutch in RCZ after 2,000 miles

I have done exactly 2,000 miles in my RCZ and have been driving for over 40 years. I am now told that the clutch has burned out and it is my fault. Anyone else experienced this at all.

A

Anonymous

I have done exactly 2,000 miles in my RCZ and have been driving for over 40 years. I am now told that the clutch has burned out and it is my fault. Anyone else experienced this at all.

Nope afraid not. How exactly could you be responsible for burning the clutch out at 2000 miles?!?! That's absolute nonsense!! You have to have driven up hill for all of those miles and sitting on clutch control at a set of lights for a few hours every couple of miles!! What a load of tosh...and I trust you told them the same!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly but it does not solve my problem. I hope someone can as they want to charge me a great deal for a new clutch replacement.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly but it does not solve my problem. I hope someone can as they want to charge me a great deal for a new clutch replacement.

Yeah I know it's not an awful lot of help but I would be very surprised if anyone has shared a similar misfortune. Did you buy the car new? Even if not it must still be under warranty. A replacement clutch should be covered without any quibbles from your nearest dealer as it shows irregular wear.

A

Anonymous

Peugeot are refusing to do the clutch under warranty as according to them a clutch does not come under the warranty agreement. They have offered to pay £1,000 for the clutch as a 'gesture of goodwill' BUT I will pay to pay for the labour which comes to - £800. My husband has told them to get lost.

I will wait and see tomorrow, otherwise it can stay clogging up their ramp.

RCZ1

Reaction score
A friend had a similar issue with her clutch on her Golf after a couple of thousand miles. They tried to make out it must be her driving. Yet why had it never happened in any of her other 7 brand new Golf's she'd had? Mad !

A

Anonymous

I have a sticky second gear, although it's only first thing in the morning and always goes once the car is warmed up (HDi).

Thought it is just a characteristic of the car - and many other cars that I have owned from new - so have paid it no heed. My first Service is due in the next few weeks, see if anything shows up then with regard Oil Levels.

With regard the burnt-out clutch at 2k miles, while the Service Book does indeed state that it is not covered by warranty (for understandable reasons), you'd think from a goodwill gesture your Dealer / Peugeot would have offered to cover it - or at least half - given the rather low mileage.

Good Luck :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I think this surely suggests differently. The issue would be proving or disapproving the cause of the wear. I cannot see how it can be "proven" that you are responsible! They can only ask you to pay for the part if the replacement is the result of "normal wear linked with its mileage or geographic and climatic environment". I would be VERY interested in how they can prove that after 2000 miles. Oh and this wording is taken from the Peugeot contractual warranty.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346610414.577547.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346610414.577547.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 2,792