What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Sticky 2nd gear...

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

Was just wondering how you are all getting on with your gears... Mine are fine except second which is quite sticky when you change up from first but really sticky when you change down (which is really annoying at roundabouts).

Anyone else found that?

A

Anonymous

Hello ajuice, well by some coincidence I have my car in the garage as we speak for exactly the same issue.
The problem has been there since day one, now 7 months old , but at the time I put it down to the fact that it was all still new and maybe needed wearing in so to speak. However it has become increasingly annoying as you say particularly at roundabouts and changing down at junctions. The other reason I hadnt previously taken it in is because unfortunately its doesn't do it every time and sods law says that it will go in to be looked at and it will work perfectly.
Anyway lets see what they come with. Will keep you informed :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, I drive the 2.0HDi and I also from day 1 have had the same problem from 1st to 2nd gear. I informed my dealer and I went on a test drive with the service manager. I then tested other cars in the range and found them all to be very much the same. I also had a problem at the same time with the clutch. The clutch issue has either disappeared or I am now that used to it that I don’t notice it any more. The conclusion was that it’s the characteristics of the car.

At the Gaydon Motor Heritage Centre meet I test drove FGRob and RCZGT200 cars to put my mind at rest and the characteristics were the same in all 3 cars. After covering 4800 miles my gearbox and clutch have remained the same. As an ex driving instructor of 15yrs and advanced driver of 23yrs, I change gear with precision and take longer to change gear from 1st to 2nd as I am constantly aware of the underlying glitches in the mechanics of my RCZ. From an advanced driving point of view we don’t change into first gear until the vehicle comes to a stop. It could be that you are trying to change into 1st gear at too high a road speed for 1st gear. I used to tell my pupils that good drivers never stop (only if necessary of course) and to judge the speed and distance of other road users. This way unnecessary stop’s can be avoided so as to save on fuel and make more progress. I realise all this may sound a load of rubbish if it is found that you do have a gearbox problem. I do hope everything turns out to be ok and keep us informed of any outcome. :greetings-wavingblue:

A

Anonymous

had the same issue...just wait till the first 4k 5k miles...it will be much better...

A

Anonymous

No problem in my GT200. Fingers crossed you dont have a box problem...

A

Anonymous

Well, car is back from the garage and despite both the Master Technician and another RCZ trained mechanic carrying out an extensive test drive (observed by the increased clock mileage) they could not find anything wrong with the gear change (as previously mention when going from 3rd to 2nd or 1st to second) :eusa-think:
Maybe Its something that will come to feel more natural with time and general wearing in as has been suggested :cool:

A

Anonymous

only a possibility-try moving your seat forward a bit,you may not be pressing the clutch fully down.

A

Anonymous

scoobielew said:
Maybe Its something that will come to feel more natural with time and general wearing in as has been suggested :cool:

Several european RCZ owners have had this issue, if I were you I wouldn't care...just wait some time...

A

Anonymous

I've got the same problem it's a real pain you really have you push the clutch right to the floor when going into 2nd gear so try moving you seat forward it will help

GT RCZ

Reaction score
Must say I have not noticed the gear change being sticky although I would call it a new feeling.

Find it alot slicker now covered 4,500 miles in 6 months.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure I would call it a "sticky" 2nd gear. I have the 1.6 THP200 from new changing from 1st to 2nd is what can only be described as a "clunk" as though the clutch isn't engaging correctly....yes my left foot is down enough. The dealer says it compares to all other RCZ's but my argument is whether it compares or not it's not right. I'm only on 2,500 miles so hoping it improves but it can be quite embrassing if you have a passenger in and it clunks. The only time I have noticed an improvement is when it's a red hot day so to me that would point to a lubricant issue?
Panther.

A

Anonymous

I had read about this "sticky 2nd" before i bought the car , i've now had the car for around 8 weeks and initially did notice it was a little clunky or sticky at first but put this down to it being a new car and a gearbox that i was not familiar with, and found that you had to just ease the gears into place rather than force them, this worked for a little while, however i have now noticed that 2nd is definitely becoming a harder and stickier gear change than the rest, i have actualy been in a postion when pulling off where i have had to skip 2nd and go straight to 3rd, this has only happend twice but there is a definite resistance with 2nd gear compared to the other gears, in fact after just 8 weeks of us owning the car my wife has gone back to using our previous car more and more often, if and when it is available, as our son now own's it .
As you can imagine he's not best pleased about this.

She will drive the RCZ but it's now increasingly becoming her second choice, purely because of the sticky gear changing.

Don't get me wrong, she loves the RZC in general,just as i do, but where as i will put up with with this sticky gear change, it has put her off driving the car a little bit. :(

At least now though i get to be behind the wheel of the RCZ more often. :eusa-whistle:

RCZ1

Reaction score
I noticed that the second gear was a bit sticky when I first got my car, but this disappeared after about 500 - 1000 miles. The key is to not force it, don't apply pressure just guide it gently and it should resolve itself.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
I noticed that the second gear was a bit sticky when I first got my car, but this disappeared after about 500 - 1000 miles. The key is to not force it, don't apply pressure just guide it gently and it should resolve itself.

I'm sure you're right K, others have said that it needs to have a little bit of mileage behind it to sort of bed in.
But i have a cunning plan, even if the 2nd gear glides in like a hot knife thru butter, i just may tell Mrs H that it's nearly there but not quite, this way i get to drive it more than her.
Good plan eh :twisted:

A

Anonymous

Mine is the same. Since I've had autos for many years and this is the first manual I've owned for quite some time I thought it was just me being a little rusty. I've now done about 4000kms and my gear changes are quite smooth but I still have trouble getting into second. I also find getting into 6th gear can be a problem too.

A

Anonymous

It's a sports car.. Treat it like one. When I got mine it was pretty stodgy.. The girl just needed a bit of an Italian tune up to get her back into the swing of things ;)

Maybe the cars telling you to stop beating round the bush "s'il vous plaît. plus plus vite!"

*sudden realisation I like the car toooo much there...*

A

Anonymous

I think its a quirk of the car especially noticeable when going for low power early gear shifts.

As I drive mine like I stole it, I find it goes through the box like a hot knife through butter....... :dance:

A

Anonymous

mr shiney said:
As I drive mine like I stole it, I find it goes through the box like a hot knife through butter....... :dance:

:clap:

RCZ1

Reaction score
mr shiney said:
I think its a quirk of the car especially noticeable when going for low power early gear shifts.

Typical male - no finesse or caressing :lol:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
mr shiney said:

Typical male - no finesse or caressing :lol:

LOL, its cos I aint a girl...... :wave: