What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Sports Cat / exhaust

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Hi group just want to ask does anyone know if the catalytic converter on the
RCZ R is the same as on other petrol versions of the RCZ ?
Or did Peugeot modify / update for a sporty type cat to aid the flow of exhaust fumes to help achieve the BHP increase over the 200 / 156 ?
I'm hoping to change my cat but don't want to change if Peugeot has done the job for me.
Any help appreciated, Cheers M.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
:eusa-think: don’t know Mick possibly I would have thought the standard cat would be restrictive and I thought the R has a bigger bore exhaust?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Tianorth is your man for this one. Chris has access to the part numbers, and would be able to show if the cats were the same part.
I agree that when Peugeot Sport pushed the 1.6 to 270 bhp they must have looked at every possible avenue of improvement, so I would be surprised if the cat wasn’t upgraded.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Thanks .
It's not something I have thought about and I'm sure in the upgrades list of parts changed on the R, like turbo intercooler pistons etc there is no mention of the catalytic converter.
I don't know if the bore is different Neil. Is the bore on your catback system bigger than the original?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
I recall them being totally different. In the RCZ R they deployed a different down pipe. Bigger openings, more flow thru. Thus the catalytic converter is different too. It is a unique part for the RCZ R.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
If I remember, I will check on ServiceBox later. (Mick, you really ought to set up your own account. Then you’d be able to answer these questions yourself.)

Plecodoras

Reaction score
pete.garratt said:
If I remember, I will check on ServiceBox later. (Mick, you really ought to set up your own account. Then you’d be able to answer these questions yourself.)
Sorry Pete I haven't got that software, unless there is another way.

D

Deleted User

Plecodoras said:
pete.garratt said:

it's all done online chap.

i find it massively useful.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
beaks said:
Plecodoras said:
pete.garratt said:

it's all done online chap.

i find it massively useful.
Okay dokey
So pray tell, how d'ya do it?
Then I'll do it thanks.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Thanks very much chaps, I'll give that a go.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
If you’re that way inclined you can buy access to all the technical data, repair instructions, diagnostic procedures, technical bulletins etc.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
So how does this system differ from the diagbox and sedre application?
That, I thought was the all singing all dancing program for Peugeot. I don't have that either lol !!

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Service Box is the web site for spare parts, repair instructions etc.

Never used diagbox, but I think it’s sonething similar but for when you’re connected to a car and can exchange data with Peugeot real time.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
Also, having looked on Service Box, I can confirm the R has its own part number catalytic converter, not shared with other models:

R - 98 064 031 80

200 - 1706 Y4

163 - 1706 AC

156 - 1706 W6, 1706 Z3, 1706 Z2, 1706 W3

150 - 1706 AC

Options for the 156 are dependent on production data & auto/manual.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Thanks Pete.

Having been presented with this data, would it be a waste of time getting a sports cat ?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Thanks Pete.

Having been presented with this data, would it be a waste of time getting a sports cat ?

If I may add my 5 cents here. During several occasions where the exhaust system has been taken apart on my R each and every workshop and tuning company told me the downpipe and cat is big enough. A company racing the RCZ R and 308 R in the german VLN (something like the BTCC but including also GT3-spec cars) told me the stock exhaust system on RCZ R is good for up to 300 horses. Only if you want to go beyond it, it'd require to decat and upgrade the blower to reach for 320 horses. And that's it for engine's internals.

So you could go for a software tuning on rolling road for up to 290 (to have a healthy margin) and stick to stock parts.

Or are you looking for more exhaust sound only?

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Thanks for that RCZ-R.
I was after better sound, but also getting a stage 1 remap, so wanted to do the exhaust first since the guy says changing the cat will alter the mapping, so get it done first. It's only after that I wondered if the cat had already been upgraded by Peugeot when tuning the R.
It seems it has and me paying for another
"Sports Cat" is probably a bad idea.
Though I could airways sell the cat from the R and that way I will have a custom exhaust with sports cat designed for my car ?
Thoughts anyone ? !