What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

spare wheel problem

A

Anonymous

I did wonder what 17"/18"/19" actually meant in terms of the Sport/GT. If the overall diameter (wheel + tyre) is the same it would make the car easier to build (and give the Sport a smoother ride). I'll have to measure the whole wheel and let you know.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
The tyre is scrap after using the foam. It will need to be replaced. I've never had a puncture which was repairable in 21 years of driving so its no problem for me using it. I've used it on my last 4 cars now and they have never let me down. Travelled a far distance after using it on the tyre too, driving no more than the recommended speed. Its no problem for me either. I've used the Holts one too and the tyre will still need replacing.

I don't think this is strictly true!!

Obviously a garage is going to recommend that you replace the tyre, but I read an article in Autoexpress in 2008 where they tested car manufacturers tyre sealants and the question came up about repairing the tyre. Continental said that the tyre could be cleaned of the sealant by the garage and then repaired (dependant on the usual guidelines about where the puncture is on the tyre etc).

The continental kit in the link below looks similar to ours, but ours is probably re-badged to show Peugeot etc and it states that the tyre can be repaired.

http://www.conti-online.com/generator/w ... CK_en.html
Photo in the above doesn't really give a good indiction of what it looks like but the one below isn't too far away from ours.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/det ... =CCK&ID=38

A

Anonymous

just wondering if you managed to get the details on the spacesaver wheel you said you was coming back to the forum with pual bannister can you let us have any information you may have

RCZ1

Reaction score
Pughy3 said:
RCZ1 said:
The tyre is scrap after using the foam. It will need to be replaced. I've never had a puncture which was repairable in 21 years of driving so its no problem for me using it. I've used it on my last 4 cars now and they have never let me down. Travelled a far distance after using it on the tyre too, driving no more than the recommended speed. Its no problem for me either. I've used the Holts one too and the tyre will still need replacing.

Obviously a garage is going to recommend that you replace the tyre, but I read an article in Autoexpress in 2008 where they tested car manufacturers tyre sealants and the question came up about repairing the tyre. Continental said that the tyre could be cleaned of the sealant by the garage and then repaired (dependant on the usual guidelines about where the puncture is on the tyre etc).

The continental kit in the link below looks similar to ours, but ours is probably re-badged to show Peugeot etc and it states that the tyre can be repaired.

Photo in the above doesn't really give a good indiction of what it looks like but the one below isn't too far away from ours.

It is true in my case !!

All my punctures seem to be through the side wall, therefore unrepairable, hence scrap tyre. I think most tyre places would not waste their time trying to clean it out - the foam gets everywhere !

A

Anonymous

Hi RCZ 1,
I didn't doubt that your previous punctures were unrepairable.

My comments were relating to your statement that 'The tyre is scrap after using the foam', I agree that in generel, tyre fitters will not want to clean the tyre because they will want us to replace it with a new one. However we should question this before spending £200.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Pughy3 said:
RCZ1 said:

It is true in my case !!

All my punctures seem to be through the side wall, therefore unrepairable, hence scrap tyre. I think most tyre places would not waste their time trying to clean it out - the foam gets everywhere !

Bit of a shame since they'd need to clean the tyre face of the alloy prior to getting a new tyre on?

GT RCZ

Reaction score
The other cost to bear in mind if you have opted for the vision pack that includes TPMS is the £70 for a new sensor.

Punctures are going to be very expensive.

GT RCZ

Reaction score
To everyone interested in purchasing a spare my dealer has found that a space saver from a 2008 407 will fit the rear ok without the need for a spacer, the down side is that it will not fit in the boot well.

Part No. 5401R4 tyre size is 135/80 x 17m total cost just over £100

Have not seen it for myself but when I have the car I will take some pictures & confirm all ok

Davie

Reaction score
I Have 19Ins Soltice,Anthra grey wheels on a GT HDI,I have just taken wheel off,and put it into the well.
A tight fit. Solution, let the tyre down,it fits flush ,the cover also fits flush. Takes 3 mins to inflate tyre with compressor.
Problem solved. Negative side is £400 for wheel, £139 for budget tyre. I have ordered both.. Best Wishes Davie.

A

Anonymous

GT RCZ said:
To everyone interested in purchasing a spare my dealer has found that a space saver from a 2008 407 will fit the rear ok without the need for a spacer, the down side is that it will not fit in the boot well.

Part No. 5401R4 tyre size is 135/80 x 17m total cost just over £100

Have not seen it for myself but when I have the car I will take some pictures & confirm all ok

This sounds the best option so far and most cost effective! Look forward to seeing the pics when you can! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

My sincere apologies for not getting back to you before now. I still haven't been given the official size as of yet, still waiting on Dealer!
Have found out that the RAC carry multi-fit spare wheels so perhaps the spare wheel is obsolescent hence manufacturers' no longer providing spares.

A

Anonymous

When I was picking my car up yesterday I mentioned the 5401R4 (tyre 135/80 x 17m) and the fact that it had been reported as fitting the rear wheels. Neither of us could understand why it was only for the back. Are the wheels not ALL the same??? He couldn't confirm that the 5401 would actually work but promised to keep me informed if any word came through about space savers.

Davie

Reaction score
Brake disks are bigger on the front,on 19ins wheels,the wheel has to go over the disk.

GT RCZ

Reaction score
Gents

Collected my car today but spare wheel still on order.

Once I have possession I will fit & take pictures.

Clive

A

Anonymous

Davie said:
Brake disks are bigger on the front,on 19ins wheels,the wheel has to go over the disk.
Thanks for the info. That makes sense. :beer:

A

Anonymous

does anyone know if the 18 inch wheel fits the boot well please.

FGRob

Reaction score
bee said:
does anyone know if the 18 inch wheel fits the boot well please.
I can't see it fitting Bee, the outside dia is not going to be that much different that a 19 inch rim, I think I've seen that the 17 inch spare that was been considered does not fit either.

Rob.

Davie

Reaction score
I am getting my spare 19 ins Soltice today,with tyre,i will post some pics of it. Deflate the tyre it fits in the well.i have tried it .

A

Anonymous

Have I read somewhere in the Forum, that it is suggested that Peugeot be petitioned to provide a suitable spare wheel and the relevant Jack & Wheel Brace for the RCZ?
I was unfortunate to be the victim of an inconsiderate motorist, ( my wifes terminology not mine) who caused me to swerve to avoid an accident ,but caused me to scuff my rear nearside alloyon the kerb. On requiring to remove the wheel,for repair, I only then realised that those nice chaps at Peugeot had failed to provide ,as standard, the necessary hand tools,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I dont intend to carry my Trolley Jack or my Wheel Brace spider, as a stand by kit. Even my wifes 207 SW has these items provided, so come on Peugeot, play the game, and make us an offer.

A

Anonymous

Davie said:
I am getting my spare 19 ins Soltice today,with tyre,i will post some pics of it. Deflate the tyre it fits in the well.i have tried it .

Hi Guys, I got a puncture yesterday whilst my car was on its monthly check up and have a complete tale of woe to tell. Today I have been doing some research on the subject and the conclusion is that I decided to get a new 19“ wheel. This has been ordered from my dealer, with my repaired tyre being fitted on my new wheel (the tyre fits in the boot recess). Can’t give you anything more just yet as I simply must dash, I’m sorry but watch this space; I may put it onto a new thread though. Thank You Peugeot.