What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Slight Turbo Oil Leak

Goatz

Reaction score
Ok it’s been checked and that gasket is fine so they will take the oil filter housing off again and have a look. I suspect it is most likely the same issue as yours as it turns out they didnt fit a new oil feed supply. i‘m not having much luck finding competent garage. 😩

tm2204

Reaction score
Ok it’s been checked and that gasket is fine so they will take the oil filter housing off again and have a look. I suspect it is most likely the same issue as yours as it turns out they didnt fit a new oil feed supply. i‘m not having much luck finding competent garage. 😩

Wow... that's shocking :eek: If it's the oil feed line you'll see it leaking on top of the turbo if it's turbo side but you won't see it (obv) on the block side as it's behind 2 heat shields and the Cat. Mine was dry on the block side.

Would you not give it a shot yourself? It really isn't too bad and you can hit me up here if you had any questions 👍

P.S. I don't trust anyone with my car... too long in the tooth and seen some nasty stuff over the years :( I've educated myself to tackle most jobs on my cars and, TBH, most are really not all that difficult 👍

Goatz

Reaction score
hmm... would love to give it a try but i have very limited space where i am and getting under the car is not easy.
the oil leak isnt too aggressive and i am sure we will get it resolved this time, hopefully at not too much expense.

Goatz

Reaction score
Argh... garage has fitted the mamba feed line and apparently there is still a leak! He tells me he thinks it’s the return line now so they will strip it all down again....

Goatz

Reaction score
ok - just received another phonecall... apparently there was still some oil left in a reservoir (?) and once that cleared the there is no leak anymore so no need to strip it again... I will pick it up in a few mins.

I guess the lesson here if you have an oil leak under the oil filter housing which is not from a problem with the oil filter (such as a crack in the lid) is to take your car to a competent garage, along with Mamba oil feed line and return line, oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler gasket and get it all changed at once. That way at least there will hopefully not be any return visits in the near future!

Jumper

Reaction score
Well done Tom. You described this procedure very well indeed.👏

Goatz

Reaction score
ok - just received another phonecall... apparently there was still some oil left in a reservoir (?) and once that cleared the there is no leak anymore so no need to strip it again... I will pick it up in a few mins.

I guess the lesson here if you have an oil leak under the oil filter housing which is not from a problem with the oil filter (such as a crack in the lid) is to take your car to a competent garage, along with Mamba oil feed line and return line, oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler gasket and get it all changed at once. That way at least there will hopefully not be any return visits in the near future!

got it home and there is still a leak!! going back now to replace the return pipe!

tm2204

Reaction score

I'd be asking for more information than that... like exactly what this means :eek:

And your right... with all the engine parts stripped out it's a good time to replace everything although the turbo oil return hose rarely fails I believe.

Glad your sorted now 👍

Goatz

Reaction score
Wow... your garage has a lot to answer for IMO :eek:
Yea this oil leak has been a real pain, but the feed line has been changed and there is still a leak, however not when the engine ticks over like it did before, now it is only when I hold revs for a period of time. Unless they made a f up I cant see the cause being anything other than the return pipe.. there’s not much else down there I haven’t replaced now. I’ve even had the rocker cover gasket replaced recently

Pedro

Reaction score
Yea this oil leak has been a real pain, but the feed line has been changed and there is still a leak, however not when the engine ticks over like it did before, now it is only when I hold revs for a period of time. Unless they made a f up I cant see the cause being anything other than the return pipe.. there’s not much else down there I haven’t replaced now. I’ve even had the rocker cover gasket replaced recently
Looks like oil is "blowing out" under pressure if its not doing it on tick over & those feed lines are a pain I changed one on a 207 gt after it failed on the bend into the Turbo housing its a P*** poor design one problem with them is as you fit it you can't get any real pressure to align the coupling because of their shape & the softness of the pipe & you can crumple the bend making it liable to leak due to a flow restriction after the pipe may have been slightly flattened off
If mine goes its getting flex pipe cost more but its a on off job done & dusted

Goatz

Reaction score
Looks like oil is "blowing out" under pressure if its not doing it on tick over & those feed lines are a pain I changed one on a 207 gt after it failed on the bend into the Turbo housing its a P*** poor design one problem with them is as you fit it you can't get any real pressure to align the coupling because of their shape & the softness of the pipe & you can crumple the bend making it liable to leak due to a flow restriction after the pipe may have been slightly flattened off
If mine goes its getting flex pipe cost more but its a on off job done & dusted
Hi Pedro,
The feed line was replaced with a flex pipe yesterday. Do you think it could be the return line? Or perhaps they messed up the installation.

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi Pedro,
The feed line was replaced with a flex pipe yesterday. Do you think it could be the return line? Or perhaps they messed up the installation.
[/QUOt
Installation should be a doddle with the flexi pipe as for the return leaking I doubt it unless it was the return all along or its been disturbed somehow I can only suggest clean the oil off & see if you can trace a run off to maybe detect the area its coming from one thing you must watch with fitting these is the copper washers either side of the Banjo bolt are bang on straight on top & bottom of coupling if they are not seated right & get pinched on assembly they can make the joint leak oil
Good luck let us know how its going 👍

tm2204

Reaction score
Hi Pedro,

Banjo's need to be torqued down to 30Nm both turbo & engine block sides. That's not a lot so the only way they could have messed it up is by hand tightening both the banjo's to the turbo/block and the banjo's connection to the oil feed line. You do this to initially position the oil feed line and then you should torque them down. If they forgot to torque any of these down and left them hand tight then that could be your continued issue (easy to do but really shouldn't happen if your a garage offering a professional service). If this is the case and it's on the turbo side it's a 2 min fix... if it's on the block side then that's a different kettle of fish as it means stripping back again :eek:

Goatz

Reaction score
So I noticed that they had fitted the oil feed with both crush washers on the bottom rather than one either side of the banjo 😩
The leak is not from the top but I assume they did the same on the other end. Anyway, I supplied a new return pipe and pointed out the crush washer problem and got the car back with no oil leak. I took for a long drive but got an engine light. The codes are
P0139
P0299
P0054
I am thinking that perhaps the o2 sensor got dirty during the fix and this caused p0054, with the others being ghost codes.
I have cleared them all and will see what happens.

Pedro

Reaction score
So I noticed that they had fitted the oil feed with both crush washers on the bottom rather than one either side of the banjo 😩
The leak is not from the top but I assume they did the same on the other end. Anyway, I supplied a new return pipe and pointed out the crush washer problem and got the car back with no oil leak. I took for a long drive but got an engine light. The codes are
P0139
P0299
P0054
I am thinking that perhaps the o2 sensor got dirty during the fix and this caused p0054, with the others being ghost codes.
Blimey mate don't you ever have any luck lol ;) OK just checked them out & they came up as follows 0139 (02 sensor bank 1 sensor 2) 0299 (Turbo charger low boost pressure ?) 0054 (Heater resistance Bank 1 sensor 2 ?) you may be bang on with 02 sensor warnings being"Ghosted" Good luck & keep us posted 👍

tm2204

Reaction score
P0139
P0299
P0054

Wow :oops: A 'garage' managed to do that... incorrectly fit a banjo bolt by misfitting the copper crush washers :oops::oops: Incredible...

My first thoughts are I would be getting rid of this 'garage' and never letting them near my car again... and secondly I wouldn't be paying them a penny :mad:

Hopefully it's only a dirty O2 sensor and they didn't damage it :oops: Sounds like total incompetence that perhaps merits a call to trading standards :oops:

There's a lot of sensors & pipework disconnected to complete this job so do an inspection yourself and make sure everything has been put back in place properly, is tightened down and that all sensors are plugged back in correctly 👍

Hopefully this is an end to this saga for you now 👍

I'm so glad I have the ability & time to be able to do these jobs for myself 😊

lanko

Reaction score
I thing I have same trouble, but other oil line.
After some time at higher speed, when I slow I smelled burned oil.
Some inspection, and finally got this:
Any ideas how to solve?

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_205213.jpg
    IMG_20210620_205213.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 51

Pedro

Reaction score
I cant recollect off hand but I might have used a flexi or offset coupling on the socket & a extending magnet came in handy but that heat shield is a pig to work with no room to get proper access