What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Running lights

A

Anonymous

New sidelight/Running LED bulbs fitted

I purchased mine off E-bay from HQ Auto Lighting who I have used in the past with no problems.

The bulb type/fitment is a P21/5watt. The bulbs I bought were superflux 18 white LED bulbs £11.95 a pair. These bulbs have two contacts and offset pins so you can not fit them the wrong way round.

They match the Xeon's lights. They look like running lights now not like you have left on your side lights by mistake.
Best £12.00 I have spent

A

Anonymous

Looks very cool....................do they dim or switch off when the main beam is on though - ie are they legal?

A

Anonymous

Do not know if they are legal. They are a direct replacement for the sidelight and running light bulb. Just 18 LED's instead of a two element bulb. They do not switch off when the main beam is switched on as the bulb fitment is part of the lighting system from the factory.

If you have the Xeon lights the main beam and dip are brighter than these but you get a crisp white light not the dull orange light from a standard bulb. In my opion more pleasing to the eye.

Hopes that helps. If you get stopped by the police it will be to admire your car not for the lights.

A

Anonymous

race0360 said:
Do not know if they are legal. They are a direct replacement for the sidelight and running light bulb. Just 18 LED's instead of a two element bulb. They do not switch off when the main beam is switched on as the bulb fitment is part of the lighting system from the factory.

If you have the Xeon lights the main beam and dip are brighter than these but you get a crisp white light not the dull orange light from a standard bulb. In my opion more pleasing to the eye.

Hopes that helps. If you get stopped by the police it will be to admire your car not for the lights.

or to admire your licence as they send it away for the 3 points. By law any LED's MUST dim when headlights turned on . the dimming must be to 25% or lower of the daytime power. If you get the wrong policeman, dazzle other motorist etc points will be collected..with a fine

A

Anonymous

My last Audi TT had running lights in the headlamps and they never dimmed when I put my headlights on and they were LED's.

I think we might be having lengthy replies to this subject. So I would like to nip in the bud now.

I have fitted these as my CHOICE and RISK. I personal think that used as running lights they are no brighter than the ones in my old Audi TT. With headlamps on they are no brighter or dimmer than the Xeon bulbs.

If someone on the forum knows a better way to solve the sorry looking front sidelights I am open to idea's.

A

Anonymous

Hi race0360,

After your earlier post I went online and bought them from ebay myself.
They are great (although a little awkward to get access!). Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Just to be clear, these LED's do DIM when the main headlights come on (as they are P21/5W double contacts on the base of the bulb), they are brighter when on Daylight Running Mode only, as soon as you select your sidelights or main beam then they automatically reduce in light intesity controlled by the change in power.
Hope this clarifies.

Bradders

Therefore I see no reason why these should not be perfectly road legal.

A

Anonymous

They are a very simple and cheap mod that changes the look of your lights instantly.

I have ordered a LED bulb for my boot light to see if that improves the brightness.

The puddle lights on the doors I have given a unit to a friend who's good with electronics to see if he can modify it so it gives out a crisp white light on the floor. Keep you posted.

RCZ1

Reaction score
Bradders said:
Hi race0360,

They are great (although a little awkward to get access!). Thanks for bringing them to my attention!

Just to be clear, these LED's do DIM when the main headlights come on (as they are P21/5W double contacts on the base of the bulb), they are brighter when on Daylight Running Mode only, as soon as you select your sidelights or main beam then they automatically reduce in light intesity controlled by the change in power.
Hope this clarifies.

Bradders

Do you have any pics of the lights?

A

Anonymous

Do you want pictures of side lights/ running lights or lights on with normal dip beam. Can Take some tomorrow night and post them here. Let me know what pictures you want.

A

Anonymous

I have also ordered a set of these after seeing your post. If youre showing photos I'd like to see how they look in the daylight too. Apart from the whiter colour are they brighter in daylight than the original bulb?

A

Anonymous

The side lights are slightly brighter but I think this is because it is more of a crisper light and again with the running lights.

If you see my first post, the top picture is with the running lights on only at night. The third one is in daylight but the angle of the camera has produced a glare of the headlight.

These will match you xenon lights perfect. Before you change them put your lights on and you will see you have white dip /mainbeam headlights and dull orange side lights.

You will not believe the difference in colour these make to your lights.

A

Anonymous

Bradders said:
Hi race0360,

Hope this clarifies.

Bradders

E Bay Linky???

A

Anonymous

I am crap at links. The item no is 140357082408 2x 18 LED 1157 P21/5W SUPER FLUX LED bulbs, must state white when ordering £11.95 free postage.

Hope this helps or anybody on the forum can post a link from the information given?

A

Anonymous

Cheers Race0360 for the heads up on these, they arrived today and I will try them out on the RCZ tomorrow, I connected them up to a 12V supply in work today and they look great. :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

Yes
No problems.

Look in manual on how to change front sidelight/running bulbs. Remove rubber gromet on back of headlight, you can now see the bulb holder. Although a little awkward to get access, I use a pair of long nose piles to turn the bulb holder. Pull holder out with wires carefully, change bulb only go in one way, refit in reverse order. Took 15 mins tops.