What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Richard Hammond (Top Gear ) review of RCZ

A

Anonymous

Peugeot RCZ review: Hot and sexy car as fast as it looks..

By Richard Hammond 8/10/2010

I can hear you saying it now: "Hammond you clot, you've already written about the Peugeot RCZ back in May."
And you'd be right because I did, on the 21st to be exact.
But that car was the 156bhp 1.6 THP and the one you're looking at now is the 200bhp 1.6 THP.
You might think that this one is going to be a bit faster. But you'd be wrong.
This more powerful version is as different from the standard car as would be an RCZ fitted with a one-cylinder diesel engine from a dumper truck that you started with a handle.
This car looks just as sexy as the less powerful RCZ and is indeed considerably faster. But there's more to it than that because Peugeot has done a lot of fiddling under the RCZ's sexy body that you can't actually see.
First of all the 200bhp RCZ is fitted with wider and stronger hubs from the Peugeot 407 saloon.
The result is a more precise feel from the front of the car when you're bunging it into a corner, and stacks more grip.
There's also a thicker anti-roll bar at the front that cuts roll (as you might have guessed) and also gives the car quicker reactions.
There's more... The brakes are bigger to cope with the extra performance and the gear ratios in the top three gears have been brought closer together to give the car more Usain Bolt factor in fourth, fifth and sixth gear. The result is that this RCZ feels miles faster than the car we drove in May.
It's in a different league, in fact. Inside, the RCZ 200 is fitted with a smaller steering wheel and a gear lever with a short throw - both of which give this RCZ a much sportier feel.
Top speed of the hot RCZ is 147mph and 0-62mph takes 7.5 sec.
Now the RCZ actually goes as fast as it looks. My only grumble is that the throttle response from the 1.6-litre turbocharged engine is rather abrupt. Fine when you're giving it the beans on a country road but not so good when you're trying to accelerate in town.
I'd love the Peugeot RCZ even if it was fitted with a dumper truck engine because it looks so fantastic.

However, with the extra performance from the 200bhp engine and the chassis changes, this new 1.6 THP 200 Sport is really the only RCZ model you should consider.

THE RIVALS
Audi TT 2.0 TFSI 211
This is the car the RCZ is aimed at. Does everything well but isn't as good to look at as the French car.

A

Anonymous

that has just made my day.

glad i'm spending the £40 a month now to get the THP 200.

I drove the 200 on a test drive in the summer and absolutely loved it. experiences then of the diesel and 156 were fine, but not the fantastic driving car I remembered and why i was so keen to push my company for the 200.

this review has reassured me that this wasn't a trick of the mind and i was wasting money going with the pumped up version.

A

Anonymous

Just to add this is Hammonds review. The HDI and the 156 are just as good. I drove an HDI the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove and the torque is immense ..lovely car

nastro azzurro

Reaction score
adrian said:
Just to add this is Hammonds review. The HDI and the 156 are just as good. I drove an HDI the other day and was pleasantly surprised at how well it drove and the torque is immense ..lovely car

Cant agree i'm afraid. They're nowhere near as good as the 200.

A

Anonymous

Let me explain

For outright performance the THP200 is best
For outright economy the HDI is best
For outright mix of both the 156 is best

I've gone for the THP200 because I like the performance, but thats not the be all and end all

The RCZ regardless of type is a great car and all RCZ drivers should be congratulated for their impeccable taste

A

Anonymous

god forbid :-(

Thats why I said ALL RCZ's are great and their owners should feel special. I like this forum as it is friendly and we all love the RCZ. Lets keep it that way

A

Anonymous

adrian said:
god forbid :-(

Thats why I said ALL RCZ's are great and their owners should feel special. I like this forum as it is friendly and we all love the RCZ. Lets keep it that way

well said, I am not a speed freak and want to hammer the car 24/7 i like the car for its aesthetics. It looks fantastic and all engine derivatives are just as good as each other, they all offer something special to the owner

A

Anonymous

adrian wrote:

Cant agree i'm afraid. They're nowhere near as good as the 200.
nastro azzurro

Just going on the comment posted by nastro azzurro :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Every type of RCZ has its own assignment!
And, they are all pretty!
It is just a decision of economy and fun. And further on the decision might be a question of the country I am living, because of speedlimits.

doc

A

Anonymous

at the end of the day we all have one thing in common (well I will when mines delivered)...we are all RCZ'ers ..thats all that counts :D

When I used to have my motorbikes the norm was to flash (headlights !!) other bikers as a sign of solidarity etc etc..maybe we should do the same when seeing another RCZ :)

A

Anonymous

but doc you have the best roads, you have Autobahnen in Germany.. :crazy:

In the UK we have Speed camera, congestion, speed camera, oh another speed camera and some more congestion and then I am only getting out of my street...

FGRob

Reaction score
The thing is who can tell by looking at the car what you've got - so you can tell them it's a 200 :dance:

Any way at the end of the day it's a RCZ, which has very little difference between the ranges - has the hamster said - they all look the part, some go faster than others :thumbup:

I can certainly say we will not go down the same route as other forums. :eusa-whistle: :eusa-whistle:

You might want to take a look at this - sorry couldn't resist. :wave: :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... sers%20car

You've got to feel for them :twisted: :police:

Rob.

A

Anonymous

[quote="adrian"When I used to have my motorbikes the norm was to flash (headlights !!) other bikers as a sign of solidarity etc etc..maybe we should do the same when seeing another RCZ :)[/quote]

Believe me if I ever see one I might just flash more than my lights!!!!!!!!! :p

ps I am joking of course........ but I will flash every light on the car!

pps I don't care what size the engine is my RCZ is sooooooooooo beautiful (spoken like the true girly that all the TT drivers say we are!!!!!)

A

Anonymous

Ive just come from a 267 bhp Megane RS250, great car but very rarely used all the ponies, what I do like about my HDI is the torque, makes up for the speed :) oh and keeps my licence clean ( fingers crossed )

RCZ1

Reaction score
All RCZs regardless of engine size, options, etc look great and drive great too. It all depends on each individuals requirements as to which engine, options, they finally choose - doesn't make it any less of a car in any guise.

A

Anonymous

j30fos said:
Ive just come from a 267 bhp Megane RS250, great car but very rarely used all the ponies, what I do like about my HDI is the torque, makes up for the speed :) oh and keeps my licence clean ( fingers crossed )

Hi I test drove the Megane RS250, here's the keys and off you go thanks Wests Cambridge!
I have to say it did not feel as fast as the Mitubishi Evo 8 260 I had before, even though the power was meant to be similar and was a bit all at the top end.
It also seemed quite crashy and along a bumpy country road hard to keep it on it!
The HDI RCZ on the other hand is more planted with oodles of torque, does 48.6 mpg in the last 5000 miles and gets me places in qued traffic.
Fantatic :dance: