What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Recommended oil ?

Goodbye

Reaction score
That's odd because my mates had 25+ years being the service manger in the local dealership & when I bought the 200 he checked it out & advised I should only use the 5.30 Low saps 3 in the prince Engine mainly due to prolonging the life of the timing chain & tensioner & the viscosity relates to the strength of the oil relating to the frictional wear on internal moving parts of a combustion Engine as for the the additives its a chemical component designed to be added to the Oil preventing the sooty build ups & ash in modern high Temp Turbo engines so you reckon Oil viscosity etc does not matter?
I prefer to keep my motor going for a long time yet by knowing I can safeguard its longevity with right service techniques & Engine Oil ...
C2you can even buy curved 4k TV ...

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
C2 specification is low saps oil for PSA engines, especially for diesel engines with fap filter, so its more diesel motor oil !
difference between Total ineo 0w-30 and 5w-30 is that
first oil will run a little easier when cold, but difference is negliable, otherwise is SAME oil, same additives etc.
its long life motor oil no need to change it before 20.000 km
technology has moved on,
sometimes I wonder if people watch black and white TV at home, or has realised that tecnology has moved on and you can even buy curved 4k TV ...
Total Ineo 5.30 can be used in a Petrol or Diesel so Your not stating any logical factual info ? which C2 are you on about which is recommended for Peugeot's & why do they put 5.30 in RCZ service data of the handbook & why is oil graded differently for certain types of Engines by the manufacturers also the owners of cars with the Prince Engines are plagued with timing chain failures which is attributed to a recognised failure of Lubrication issues

Bobby D

Reaction score
Ok. Whilst I am very impressed with an engine having a constant supply of clean oil I can't justify the cost. My Chrysler Voyager is 17 yrs old and has 185,000miles. I have changed the oil every year without fail and never done more than 12000 miles between oil changes. Does anyone have a reason why this won't work for my beautiful white RCZ GT sport which I drive pretty sensibly and intend to keep as a future classic.

Pedro

Reaction score
Ok. Whilst I am very impressed with an engine having a constant supply of clean oil I can't justify the cost. My Chrysler Voyager is 17 yrs old and has 185,000miles. I have changed the oil every year without fail and never done more than 12000 miles between oil changes. Does anyone have a reason why this won't work for my beautiful white RCZ GT sport which I drive pretty sensibly and intend to keep as a future classic.
Maybe the Voyager has a bigger stronger Engine & copes better with heat & stress whereas the BMW prince Engine or HPT Direct injection Engine is getting hot enough to fry eggs on & thinning the oil out to the max thus putting more stresses on the running gear getting more carbon build up on the Valves due to dirty oil mist floating through the Engine making it work harder causing even more component failures ? Who knows? how long is a piece of string?

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
My Peugeot dealership for full service recently used 0-30 Total oil having had 5-30 before. This 0-30 is reccomended in the oil chart from my service book as B71 2312 Standard I noticed.
I bought Mobil super 3000 P 0-30 with same B71 2312 as listed for Peugeot, for top ups. I am not sure if mixing one brand with another is the best thing but I am sure one or two of you will know the answer to that.
Thank you.

Pedro

Reaction score
Its been repeatedly well documented on here so Check your handbook it lists both 0w.30 & 5w30 for the same engine platform if you use your intution then its a misnomer as to what should go in the sump?

Petrus Doyle

Reaction score
Sure, ta, reading the experiences of others has instilled a mild neurosis for what will pop next.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
As previously stated Peugeot now recommend the 0W-30 this came to light after all the timing chain problems could it be the fact that the 0W-30 gets round the engine quicker on cold start ups? Like Pedro said let your intuition guide your oil selection

RCZ-R

Reaction score
After watching few oil analysis tests, the Total Quartz 0W30 and 5W30 oils prove to be a chemically very stable/strong oil over its service intervals. The viscosity in cold and hot stayed within 5% change compared to new during the whole service interval (as suggested by Pug) where other full synthetic oils drop significantly already after 5000 miles.
Still, I did and would recommend to change the Total oil every other 5000 miles. Because viscosity is not all that counts.

Pedro

Reaction score
Just changed mine after the usual 3000 Klm I'm using the Quartz Ineo 5w30 AE2 the engine's done 52.001 & due to going past the 50.000 mark I'm looking at keeping the same viscosity but as Neil has pointed out maybe the 0w30 does get around quicker but I'm inclined to believe the heavier oil will leave an engine's internals coated with a sticky residue from draining back into the sump after going cold so does this help to protect from friction start ups?

RCZ-R

Reaction score
Just changed mine after the usual 3000 Klm I'm using the Quartz Ineo 5w30 AE2 the engine's done 52.001 & due to going past the 50.000 mark I'm looking at keeping the same viscosity but as Neil has pointed out maybe the 0w30 does get around quicker but I'm inclined to believe the heavier oil will leave an engine's internals coated with a sticky residue from draining back into the sump after going cold so does this help to protect from friction start ups?
There is always a layer of oil sitting on the upper parts of the engine. Even if you leave the engine untouched for months (the longest time I not started an engine was over 2 years and after opening the valve cover there was still plenty of oil and lubrication on the parts).
Where the difference btw 5W and 0W lies, with the 0W the engine will build up proper oil pressure faster on cold starts then with 5W. Especially in the colder months.

Pedro

Reaction score
Yep the 0w is used in colder climates & they used to fill engines to the top of rocker cover in t he old days with oil if the car was off the road for a long length of time

lfe

Reaction score
I know it's not the recommended oil but 5000 km ago I put Total Quartz 9000 5w40 on it.
Complies with PSA B71 2296 standard.
Oil consumption has been halved compared to 0W30 and the engine is now quieter and runs smoother.
The car has done 125000 km

Pedro

Reaction score
I have heard of owners with the THP engines using heavier oils at high mileages the only thing I would be suspect of is more than average carbon build up in valve chambers by using it over long periods ?

lfe

Reaction score
If oil consumption is a main factor for carbon build up on intake valves, then in my case using 5W40 it has been reduced by half.

Although in my case the oil consumption occurs mainly in the turbo.
I know due the throttle body is leaking oil.
Perhaps the detergent effect of the oil can clean the valves?

Pedro

Reaction score
If oil consumption is a main factor for carbon build up on intake valves, then in my case using 5W40 it has been reduced by half.
Maybe but who knows Oil is not just to lubricate the engine it acts a detergent to keep it clean & also helps to cool the engine through dissipating the heat from surfaces of parts so its very important to have the right oil in the first place but I would imagine heavier oil is harder to break down possibly its viscosity lasting longer than thinner oils may make a difference

Buddy

Reaction score
I bought my THP156 last November it had been serviced a year earlier but done about 150 miles only since then, so I drove it for a couple of months finding how much oil it used then changed the oil and filter to the Ineo 5/30, oil consumption halved. I'll be changing my oil and filter each year about 6,000 miles. Now I have been looking at various sites regarding the RCZ and some are quite panicked about changing timing chains, I have no record of mine ever being changed but some even say that Peugeot were changing them without telling the customers at services? My car is a 61 reg, 82,000miles, the chain is quiet, it pulls very well for the lower powered model and I managed 57mpg from Newcastle to Derby last weekend average speed to the outskirts of Derby being 60mph according to the display. Which to me demonstrates that the timing must be very good on the cams and ignition, I've had a quote from a reputable local garage, for the new timing chain kit to be fitted which will give a warranty on related parts of £549. This seems very good and the garage owner says that it is unlikely that I have any need to do it but he will if I want to do it for piece of mind, should it be done or not, my only reason for considering it at present is that I'm driving to Inverness in October.