What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Recommended oil ?

Jomo

Reaction score
Hi all, love love love my 2010 1.6 GT (156) despite after buying one week ago needs timing chain replaced - ok as under warranty, just annoying.
But, engine oil ? Nothing annotated in car and struggling to find in handbook, possibly 0W30 ? Any recommendations - like to have oil handy. Thanks

2retro

Reaction score
Hi there, Total Quartz INEO ECS 5W-30 is the correct one recommended by Peugeot. I know this because I bought some yesterday to top up with.

I believe you can also use the 0W-30 now instead if you want but the one above is the original manufacturer recommended oil. 👍

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes 5W-30 Total ineo is the original recommendation but Peugeot now recommend the 0W-30 Total ineo first it’s what the engine comes filled with when supplied new.

tm2204

Reaction score
I use Total Quartz INEO ECS 5w-30 in my 2010 1.6 THP RCZ. I know most have switched to 0w-30 now but with my car having 90k miles on her I felt it safer to keep to the original oil used...

Pedro

Reaction score
Hi there, Total Quartz INEO ECS 5W-30 is the correct one recommended by Peugeot. I know this because I bought some yesterday to top up with.

I believe you can also use the 0W-30 now instead if you want but the one above is the original manufacturer recommended oil. 👍
Total 5/30 low saps code 3 its in the handbook if your cars done around 35/40.000 klms You cold put 0/30 if you prefer but personally I would not put that grade in my Engine its OK in the South of France:cool: but the UK winter after a good few 1000 klms it will make your chain start singing again !

Jomo

Reaction score
Ooooookay, still not sure - rang Peugeot today and they said 0W30 C1 or C2.
From what I am reading - 0W30 Summer, 5W30 Winter ?

Pedro

Reaction score
Ooooookay, still not sure - rang Peugeot today and they said 0W30 C1 or C2.
From what I am reading - 0W30 Summer, 5W30 Winter ?
Use as listed in the Handbook ie Total Ineo low saps (3) which relates to the strength of the "Detergent" properties in the oil this is what helps to keep modern direct injection Engines clean

Bobby D

Reaction score
5-30 is £30 compared to £50 for 0-30. Sometimes I like to let my wallet help me choose when there's not much in it!!

Jomo

Reaction score
Ah, good point thanks - however I am a registered Motorsport Marshal so I get discount anyway !

Pedro

Reaction score
grade is not so important, even 0w-20 is not that different then 0w-30, put C2 specification 0w-30 or 5w-30, no difference, same protection period !
what is in car oil - oil 70 procent, additves 30 procent, that is important, not viscosity
go to beer guys ...
Never heard anything like it relating to different grade of Oils maybe the Oil companies are illegally labelling their products sold to the general public & thus wrecking a lot of decent engines in the process ??

DKZ5745

Reaction score
I remember many years ago, Duckhams oil was very popular with Mini drivers, me included. It was a very thick green oil, and as the Minis of that era had more than enough oil leaks, the thicker the oil, the less you tended to lose.
The only problem was that it was one of the more expensive oils available. Then I found out that the motor accessory chain Charlie Browns sold the exact same oil branded in their own label cans, for a fraction of the price. It was Charlie Browns for me until I eventually sold it before it fell apart in the drive.

Pedro

Reaction score
I remember many years ago, Duckhams oil was very popular with Mini drivers, me included. It was a very thick green oil, and as the Minis of that era had more than enough oil leaks, the thicker the oil, the less you tended to lose.
The only problem was that it was one of the more expensive oils available. Then I found out that the motor accessory chain Charlie Browns sold the exact same oil branded in their own label cans, for a fraction of the price. It was Charlie Browns for me until I eventually sold it before it fell apart in the drive.
I used Duckhams for years in different cars & when I used the green Swarfega it always made me think of that oil due to the colours it was pricey but I reckon it was one of the best for strength & viscosity I think they used to do promotions like including a free filter or a plastic oil drain container & if I can recollect they also promoted a filling jug with every gallon lol
Yep them were the days when motoring was so simple you build a car from the parts out of a scrapyard ! 😄

Goodbye

Reaction score
Never heard anything like it relating to different grade of Oils maybe the Oil companies are illegally labelling their products sold to the general public & thus wrecking a lot of decent engines in the process ??
There isnt much diff same oil with different labels ....
TIneo ecs C Eur for 5L
Modd to change it sooner

Last edited:

Pedro

Reaction score
That's odd because my mates had 25+ years being the service manger in the local dealership & when I bought the 200 he checked it out & advised I should only use the 5.30 Low saps 3 in the prince Engine mainly due to prolonging the life of the timing chain & tensioner & the viscosity relates to the strength of the oil relating to the frictional wear on internal moving parts of a combustion Engine as for the the additives its a chemical component designed to be added to the Oil preventing the sooty build ups & ash in modern high Temp Turbo engines so you reckon Oil viscosity etc does not matter?
I prefer to keep my motor going for a long time yet by knowing I can safeguard its longevity with right service techniques & Engine Oil ...

Jomo

Reaction score
Well, thanks for all the replies - you guys know your stuff ! Great forum ! And - turns out is auxiliary belt not timing chain so £80 and happy girl 😁

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
Every RCZ owners on here are more than happy to help out other RCZers...
Drive safe and stay lucky 🍀
Les n Karen n Co

tm2204

Reaction score
That's odd because my mates had 25+ years being the service manger in the local dealership & when I bought the 200 he checked it out & advised I should only use the 5.30 Low saps 3 in the prince Engine mainly due to prolonging the life of the timing chain & tensioner & the viscosity relates to the strength of the oil relating to the frictional wear on internal moving parts of a combustion Engine as for the the additives its a chemical component designed to be added to the Oil preventing the sooty build ups & ash in modern high Temp Turbo engines so you reckon Oil viscosity etc does not matter?
I prefer to keep my motor going for a long time yet by knowing I can safeguard its longevity with right service techniques & Engine Oil ...

100% agree with this 👍

First thing I did when I bought my THP 156 end of April was to do a full service of all filters and Total Quartz INEO ECS 5w-30 oil. I 100% know I'm running quality Peugeot recommended oil that will prolong the life of my engine particularly around the timing chain & chain tensioner concerns.

Peugeot recommend 20,000 miles / 2 years between oil changes but absolutely no way will I be going with that... I plan to change the oil & filter every 5-6k miles.

Fundamentally I believe a lot of issues begin with either incorrect oil for your engine being used or leaving the oil in to long before changing it & the oil filter. Total Quartz INEO ECS 5w-30 is not cheap but here in Ireland it costs me €40 for 5L and an oil filter... So I'll change the oil & filter regularly, keep the oil level topped up (checking the dipstick weekly) and hopefully I can stave off some/most of the engine problems associated with the petrol variations of this car.

I've already taken care of the turbo oil feed line replacing it with the braided flexi upgraded part so at least thats one of the known issues out of the way 👍

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Service intervals are now 10k instead of the 20k stated in the handbook.