What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rear Spoiler Issue.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
The seat switches are common to failure the connections either come loose or break off you can re solder them back.
I know you’ve got power to the switch for the spoiler but have you checked the maxi fuse for the spoiler?

Hamster46

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. I will check the switch later today and see if there is anything obvious. As far as the fuse goes I did check it when I first started diagnosing and it looked complete. I might get another fuse and try it. Could the spoiler seize with lack of use? It was quite tight when I was manually winding it down or maybe that is the way they are.

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Mine was probably from lack of use...
As I mentioned in earlier msg I sprayed mine with wd40 it's been right ever since...I've sinced used spray grease with no issues..

RCZKam

Reaction score
The light on the switch is not flashing when i press the button it is either solid light or no light when i press it again.

It’s only either a solid light or no light at all. No flashing no clicking. Does sound like an electrical gremlin

In normal operation (manually) below 55ish mph if you press (just press not hold) it will raise to highest position, this can be done idiling whilst parked or just with ignition on, you will hear the spoiler motor raise it

To bring it down (as above from stationary) if you hold the button it will lower fully and you can hear the motor or if you tap it will lower the position to where you want

So for yours from just ignition (no engine running) when you push (or hold) the button does it light up solid and can you hear any motor?

Hamster46

Reaction score
Hi RCZKam and thank you for posting. Apologies for the late reply but today was the first chance i had to check. I did the checks and there is no sound coming from the motor when i push the button. The light comes on the button and it is solid not flashing so would you diagnose the motor as the culprit? I did buy another motor with the same part number but the connector for the wiring was different so i used part of my original motor ie the circuit board which takes the original wiring but the motor was the other 1 i bought so it is a bit of a hybrid.

RCZKam

Reaction score
Hi RCZKam and thank you for posting. Apologies for the late reply but today was the first chance i had to check. I did the checks and there is no sound coming from the motor when i push the button. The light comes on the button and it is solid not flashing so would you diagnose the motor as the culprit? I did buy another motor with the same part number but the connector for the wiring was different so i used part of my original motor ie the circuit board which takes the original wiring but the motor was the other 1 i bought so it is a bit of a hybrid.

Sounds like motor yes but as you have a mish mash of motor parts put together now it might be harder to find. Also remember you used the part number from the motor that wasn’t working in the first place so best to check on this site to make sure you are checking the correct one.

As no sound from motor check the fuse first.

Have you got a multimeter? I’m sure you can check the resistance at the car loom plug, take note of reading then check again with ignition (dash lights only on) then again with button pressed, if it stays the same with button pressed then you might have a break in the wiring or maybe just water ingress in the plug itself

I’m not an electrical wizz in any way, it’s my number one thing I can’t get my head around but the above multimeter trick gets used a lot, handy thing to have in your toolbox

RCZKam

Reaction score
I sometimes find it tricky to tell if I've put my spoiler down all the way or not unless I get out the car and take a look haha.

Good thing with having a spoiler extension is you can just see it in the rear view mirror when it’s raised in the first position and obviously when it’s fully up

This is based on the spoiler extension being mounted lower on the original panel, theres not much height on the panel to mount it but the higher up you do the less likely you will see the first stage rise

^ Absolutely pointless addition to this topic :oops: but if you can temporarily stick something onto the panel at least you can test out on the move, double sided tape is best, something like tiger seal probably not :oops:

Hamster46

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Do you mean the maxi fuse near the battery when you mention check the fuse or is there another fuse in the main fuse board? Also if i need a motor does anyone on here have a working one lying around by chance? Many thanks

NF7

Reaction score
Thanks for the info guys. Do you mean the maxi fuse near the battery when you mention check the fuse or is there another fuse in the main fuse board? Also if i need a motor does anyone on here have a working one lying around by chance? Many thanks
There are two fuses for spoiler I think. One in the spoiler itself and one in the battery.

Hamster46

Reaction score
Hi NF7. I have looked a fusebox diagrams and there is no mention of another spoiler fuse unless it is linked with something else. Can anyone shed some light on this please?

RCZKam

Reaction score
Yeah just the one fuse

I’m not sure if there is a replacement in the not-so-secret-spare fuse holder in the glovebox but I would change that, then as you have a light on the switch I would try the plug with a multimeter to check for any resistance change with ignition on switch pressed etc

If both of them are ok then it’s your motor

Also remember to grease up the hinges of the spoiler while your there

Hamster46

Reaction score
UPDATE !!!!!!! So after a lengthy delay i finally got to testing the electrical side of things and i can confirm the wiring is getting a live right up until the motor itself. I have 12v coming in but nothing at all from the motor so that's the culprit i hope. Anyone out there have a spare motor laying around or possibly point me in the right direction to get one? Thanks as always.

Hamster46

Reaction score
Also i snapped off one of the 3 studs on the retainer assembly so would it still be useable or would i need to track down a replacement aswell? I was hoping to solder it tomorrow and see if it holds. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks

Hamster46

Reaction score
Hi all. Update on spoiler issue. I had a replacement motor arrive today and when i fitted it the motor is working which my old 1 wasn't so i thought BINGO !! we are sorted but unfortunately the spoiler refuses to rise. I can hear the motor working but nothing happening so my spoiler must be seized. Can i raise the spoiler manually and grease / lubricate anything to help free it up? I am at the end of my tether with it now and just want it working. Love everything else about the car though and have rectified all the other niggles bar the passenger seat which despite changing the switch and the motor the seat still refuses go move backwards and forwards ??????

NF7

Reaction score
Hi all. Update on spoiler issue. I had a replacement motor arrive today and when i fitted it the motor is working which my old 1 wasn't so i thought BINGO !! we are sorted but unfortunately the spoiler refuses to rise. I can hear the motor working but nothing happening so my spoiler must be seized. Can i raise the spoiler manually and grease / lubricate anything to help free it up? I am at the end of my tether with it now and just want it working. Love everything else about the car though and have rectified all the other niggles bar the passenger seat which despite changing the switch and the motor the seat still refuses go move backwards and forwards ??????
Go to the highway. Turn the spoiler off (so the button is illuminated - auto mode). Then drive as fast that it would rise automatically (its 100mph I think) for 30-40 seconds. After that, decrease the speed and pay attention to the spoiler, if it moved or not. Then try playing with the buttons.

Mikefrank

Reaction score
Go to the highway. Turn the spoiler off (so the button is illuminated - auto mode). Then drive as fast that it would rise automatically (its 100mph I think) for 30-40 seconds. After that, decrease the speed and pay attention to the spoiler, if it moved or not. Then try playing with the buttons.
Make that 100 kph…..

RCZKam

Reaction score
Yeah as above after replacing motor, battery etc and it doesn’t move take it out on the appropriate road but leave it in auto mode so light is off, take it up to 60mph, it will rise first stage at 56mph. Problem is some have reported after a few days it just works on its own!

To manually rise/lower as you already have the under boot panel off there is I think a 4 or 6mm Allen key to rotate

Have a look on your old motor to see where it is for access

Of course as you know go easy on the first couple of turns as it’ll probably be quite abrupt