What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Rear Bumper Laquer Flaking

A

Anonymous

My RCZ is two years old and has done about seven and a half thousand miles only. after getting car washed this week noticed for the first time that the laquer which coats the plastic rear bumper panel is coming off (lifting) at the drivers side rear just behind the wheel at the very bottom of the panel. Area about two inches sq has come off and spreading. Anyone else had this bother. Have informed dealer and will take it in soon so they can see it, and hopefully get rectified under warranty. Only recently noticed it as not been able to wash the car myself due to trouble with my shoulders, looks like it has been coming off for a while now and I do not suppose the high pressure hoses they use at the car wash helps either

RCZ1

Reaction score
Have you got any photos you could post to show us?
I'm not quite sure where you mean.

It obviously shouldn't be happening so I would take it to your dealer. Car wash places use some very harsh chemicals these days which can cause problems.

A

Anonymous

Hi thanks for replying, will take a photo but do not know how to put it onto this forum, will try to anyway. If you stand at the back of the car then go to the rear bumper, then down to the visible bottom edge of it , then go along to the right till you turn and come to the right rear wheel arch , the affected area is there from the visible bottom edge up and towards the rear from the wheel arch. Hard to describe. Will try a photo tomorrow and possibly see dealer too. Will let u know what happens

A

Anonymous

Just read up on downloading photos to this forum so will give it atry on Mon /Tue see if it works. As they say a Photo is worth a thusand words. Very true

A

Anonymous

Here is a photo of the affected area, upon close inspection the laquer is lifting, in little patches, took car to local North East Peugeot dealer today and they said that the area had been repainted/repaired in the past and it was a poor repair. As I bought the car from another peugeot dealer in Yorkshire with only 800 miles on the clock a year past July the former lady owner must have had it done. It now has only done 7,800 mile. My local dealer is now going to check with the dealer I bought the car from to see if it had been repaired by them. As I said the car had only done 800 miles and was 8 months old. The Alloys on one side were both badly damaged as if she hit the same kerb everytime she went out, so finding out this area has been repaired in the past really does not suprise me. I had the alloys refurbished myself and the dealer paid half as I took it to where i wanted it to go. Now waiting to see if Peugeot will repair/repaint the area it or will I have to pay for it. Will let you know what happens

A

Anonymous

Crumbs! :eek: That is rather unsightly! Keep us posted what you find out and how it is resolved!

A

Anonymous

Dealer phoned me to say they had been in touch with the dealer I purchased the vehicle from, to see if any record of accident damage or and repair to that area, but they could not find anything. So my dealer is now trying to get Peugeot to do it under goodwill, will keep you informed as to what happens

A

Anonymous

bottlecollector said:
Dealer phoned me to say they had been in touch with the dealer I purchased the vehicle from, to see if any record of accident damage or and repair to that area, but they could not find anything. So my dealer is now trying to get Peugeot to do it under goodwill, will keep you informed as to what happens

There's no reason for the dealer to know unless the previous owner left receipts or told the dealership. The latter of these, at least, is tremendously unlikely. Please keep us posted with developments and fingers crossed that it gets rectified at no cost to you.

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
bottlecollector said:

There's no reason for the dealer to know unless the previous owner left receipts or told the dealership. The latter of these, at least, is tremendously unlikely. Please keep us posted with developments and fingers crossed that it gets rectified at no cost to you.
Or of course if that dealer had done the respray/repair

RCZ1

Reaction score
However it has happened, it obviously should not be happening on a car that's only 2 years old at the most. Paintwork is under warranty so should be fixed by Peugeot, in my opinion.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
However it has happened, it obviously should not be happening on a car that's only 2 years old at the most. Paintwork is under warranty so should be fixed by Peugeot, in my opinion.

I entirely agree. I was actually just checking my warranty regarding this before I said as much. Predictably, RCZ1 knows her stuff! :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I had exactly the same on mine - only passenger side.

Respirator at same time as my scrape with the tractor.

A

Anonymous

I'd have needed a respirator and some Valium if that had been my car!!

A

Anonymous

Dealer been in touch, car going in on Tuesday for a "Local Repair" as they call it, so I hope its a good one, being done under goodwill. no cost to me. Will let you know what repair looks like when I get it back.

A

Anonymous

Car was done during the week and at first look looks ok, have not had a really good look as the car is dirty and it has not stopped raining or snowing since. They covered part of each side as well with a plastic anti chip coating as being behind the rear wheels it gets a lot thrown at it. Will see how it goes during the bad weather and into the spring. Will take a photo for the forum when weather improves and when I get the car washed. Thanks again to Robins & Day (Newcastle Upon Tyne)who did not charge and said it was done under customer goodwill