What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RD4 too NG4 conversion

A

Anonymous

Good Find!!!

I've been wondering about this for ages.

My problem is getting hold of a Peugeot Navi... None on ebay and i really don't want to pay dealer prices.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
It wont translate on my phone, but does it say anything about bypassing the vin coding of the headunit? And it looks like you need to buy the gps antenna seperately.

At least its possible though :)

A

Anonymous

I looked into this in a bit more detail and managed to find info in some of the French forums.
The harness doesn't get round the VIN coding so you have to 'telecode' the unit, which I think means plugging in with a laptop/OBD dongle and using suitable software to match the unit to the car.
If you retrofit the NG4 then you lose the ability to change car settings (eg. switch on/off drls) as the NG4 doesn't support this. Factory fitted NG4s come with extra buttons by the handbrake and the larger instrument cluster display to provide access to these settings. The RT6 can support changing these settings so doesn't have this issue.

I could be tempted to fit an NG4 or RT6 but finding the headunit and screen at a decent price looks to be tricky.

A

Anonymous

Functionality wise I would say it definitely is better to fit an aftermarket unit, but I like the look of the flip up colour screen :)

A

Anonymous

The "flip up" screen is not without it's problems.
Theres plenty of posts on here regarding screen flicker on the NG4, I'm on my 2nd screen, luckily changed under warranty at a cost of over £2000.

Apparantly the problem is in the mechanism that switches on the screen as it "flips up", the contact can wear away after time, causing poor or no contact at all, hence screen flicker.

Brolly

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

Have been looking for a way to add sat nav to my Gt 156 and managed to find a used screen and stereo from a 308.

Its the only feature not on my RCZ.

The guy in france who sells the harness from the link above, was very helpful and I am now waiting for the harness to arrive. Hopefully it will be plain sailing and I can install without any major issues.

Will let you know how it all goes. :?: :eusa-shhh:

A

Anonymous

Hi Brolly,

What did you go for, an NG4 or RT6?
I'm in the process of getting the parts for a RT6 system, it'll probably be a few weeks before all the parts arrive.

Let me know how you get on, we can maybe compare notes.

Have you decided how you'll do the telecoding? I think I'll get the Diagbox software.

A

Anonymous

The easiest way to get a sat nav is to sell your RCZ and buy a car with Sat Nav!!

Here's a cheap diesel one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-10-Peugeot ... 339287816d

I spent 3 years talking to dealers and reading forums to get my Peugeot 207 bluetooth kit to do audio over A2DP

In the end I decided to buy an APP 3 Pioneer Double Din after market stereo.

Despite buying all the correct expensive leads the remote never worked properly and it just didn't work as well as the factory RD4 bluetooth phone kit which is integrated into the factory screen and remote

So I decided to sell my 207 GT and buy an RCZ with RD4 and A2DP!! best decision I ever made!!

After market stereos and fitting non original stereo's in a Peugeot is not as easy as it use to be in my 1989 205 XS.

And am I the only person who likes the classic RD4 head unit?... I have a classic tomtom for sat nav!

I have never found a good factory fitted sat nav apart from Renault who just bolt a TomTom into the dash!!

Brolly

Reaction score
LolI went for Rt6 after speaking to the French guy who supplies the harness from the link above, he says that is the system needed to convert Rcz to factory Sat nav,and telecoding hopefully by 1 of the local electronic geniuses with Peugeot planet.If there is a cheaper way let me know :thumbup:

There is always somebody who comes up with a way round everything. So when Mr Peugeot says it cant be done, a frenchman comes on ebay and blows him out of the water and says have some of that.

Most people wouldn't be bothered about not having sat nav and dont mind sticking a Tom tom on the window,but I want it smoother than that and its a massive challenge to sort it and for a fraction of the cost.

Thats why Christopher Columbus stuck 2 fingers up and sailed off into the distance to find a whole new world.

No offence to any one who doesnt want Sat nav, but I do ,and I will gladly do the spade work to achieve it.

I will put a link on for a micro fibre cloth so you can wipe off your suction mark off the windscreen your tom tom left :lol:

Up the revolution :eusa-shhh:

A

Anonymous

I agree Brolly I had a lovely dash mount in my 207 for my tomtom and am unsure where to mount my tomtom as the round marks will upset me too (Where is the link to the micro fibre cloth?)!!! i do have a very nice mount for my phone which integrates into my RD4 via bluetooth and I could use the sat nav on my phone but thats about as good as a factory fitted sat nav and I like my tomtom!! I have a 14mega pixcel camera on my phone but its not as good as my 12 mega pixcel canon camera! Technology is awesome and smart phones are great but I am still in the believe that if you want a good device it needs to have one job i.e. a camera to take photo's and a sat nav to guide you! After using my ex girl friends awful Peugeot 208 Sat Nav it certainly didnt make me want to give up the TomTom and the routes it took were dam right crazy!! But at least the NG4 has full postcode search and I agree a sat nav popping out the dash is very very cool and for that reason alone I to want one but is it worth 20 hours of researh and 10 hours of fitment and 800 quid for a device which A may still not work as patch leads never work as well as factory fitted stuff and B is not as good as my £120 quid TomTom!!?

I know exactly where you are coming from Brolly... but imagine if you retro fit NG4 will mean you can't get access to menu systems like your guide you home headlights!!! now that would annoy me more than those awful rings on my window from my TomTom!!!

And i still think you could sell your car and buy a very similar car for less than the cost of bodging an NG4 in your car with a French Mans aftermarket harness! It will never work like a factory fit option and you will lose at least one weekend of your life with the dash board in bits and potentially it may never work! as perhaps it cant be telecoded to your car?!!

Let the banter continue... and good luck with your project because I know where you are coming from... I have retro fitted genuine spoilers and cruise control to my previous Peugeots because I too love factory fitted bling, I just think Peugeot have made it too difficult to retro fit genuine stereos and sat navs! I awake the photos and the copy of all the receipts and the total number of hours spent researching fitting an Ng4 and the total number of hours you spend in side your dash board! and how many tears you shed when you scratch your leather dash fitting the ultra cool pop up screen! If you pull it off for under the cost of trading your car in and buying a car with Sat Nav then I will take my hat off to you!!

A

Anonymous

no reason the loom would not work. its straight through. it just adds the extra wires from the head unit to operate the dash top screen i.e open/close,

the issue is the coding. no doubt a new unit would be required

Brolly

Reaction score
I have only owned my Rcz a few months after I bought it accident damaged.

Have a look at my posts Rcz rises from graveyard part 1 2 and 3 and also Rcz returns from the graveyard and then you will know fitting sat nav wont be such a big headache.

Will gladly put some photos on.Waiting for lead to arrive from France.

Screen and stereo unit 300.00
gps antenna 6.99
harness from France 78.56.

Will keep you all posted even the sceptical ones.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I agree if that all works it will be worth doing for that price...

Good luck with the project.

I will look at your raised from the grave car pictures.

It is the sort of project I would normally do to just I hate that Peugeot have made it so complicated to change radios between different cars.. At least it stops people knicking them I guess.

frankvdb

Reaction score
That is exactly why they do it.
You'll find it no different with recent cars of other car brands.
"Deep integration" allows for more features but complicates conversion.
That is true in general.

A

Anonymous

Re mounting a Tom Tom, I've read of someone on the forum mounting the suction cup onto the analogue clock face rather than the windscreen, can't remember who. Seems like a better option than the windscreen where the rounds marks might be more noticeable.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

A

Anonymous

I discovered that trick today and it looked so cool I was going to post a picture! but obviously i am not the first!!

bit worried about scratching the clock so may stick a clear protective film on it! or maybe just be careful!!

does make it look factory fitted lol!! also when I went to charge it my tomtom said unit too hot to charge!!

But as it was in front on the aircon outlet it was soon happy to charge!!

never seen that error before... 30 plus degree's is a bit too hot!! but im not complaining!! plus RCZ air con is lovely and cool!!