What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R - speed limiter removed

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
DanRo said:
I knew that I was just joking. What's is your RPM at 120km/h

i' ll check it and tell you
i know you re joking but still my offer exists.... :eusa-whistle:

renegade79

Reaction score
I feel a race coming on....
dan when the R is back on the road you should challenge the wifey to a race :eusa-whistle:

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
DanRo said:
How do you explain that my wife SLK250 with "only" 210 bhp goes from 0-100 in 6.5 sec that only 0,6 sec slower then the RCZ R. It's even 1 full second faster then the THP200.

Here is my explaination
Your wife has tuned her car and said nothing!

RCZ-R

Reaction score
As I already said, you only are chasing after numbers and not the actual results on the roads. But that is OK, I mean this is your approach to car happiness and I'm absolutely fine with that.
If you take your R and any SLK (except for the AMG models) on to the highway and compare both, the R will just trash them when in gear acceleration. Which reflects the real world scenario. Which subsequently allows me to leave those cars behind and move on. The results speak for themselves, not the numbers written on paper. And for the german brands (we also own few of them in our family) the numbers never match the reality. I see this day in and out on the autobahns. If only going by numbers I should have not a blink of a chance against cars like bmw 335i or smiliar. But I do and I have done plenty of times. Even at staged events where both drivers did exactly the same thing. This comparison could be transferred to other cars like audi TiTs and others. And why do they often loose such comparison? Because the manufacturer chooses a different gear ratio spread, both for traffic lights racing and fuel saving. So they make the first 3 gears reasonable and spread them wider the higher you go in gears. The results? The car bogs down at higher speeds.
If you want to improve of the line acceleration of the R then my suggestion is to put some sticky rubber on it. Alone with the Michelin PSS you will gain a lot. A lot. And if you switch to the Michelin Cup 2 which is available for the R rim size, you will eradicate any wheel spin in the first 3 gears. And it is cheaper than rebuilding the gear box.
Changing the gear box makes sense if you have significant power hikes. Like going from 270 to 350+ on the R. But if you go from 270 to 285 or even 300 at max, it doesnt make any sense.

renegade79

Reaction score
I'll bet the question of you owing a French marque car is the subject of much entertainment in your family.... :lol:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
I'll bet the question of you owing a French marque car is the subject of much entertainment in your family.... :lol:

It is sometimes :lol: . But while the others struggle with their VWs, Mercs and other brands (Italian), I do not :greetings-wavingblue: Since I started with cars I was into Japanese and french cars. More into Japanese, but I learnt to love the french too.

With my relatives, it was the same story many years ago when I got the big Lexus LS. Back then we had an S class and an Audi A8 in the family (uncles, aunts). Holy moly, how often did I hear them say, why are you driving this Korean (!) car? Why not getting something proper like my XYZ? The typical bla bla.
All I could say is, my choice suits me well and serves me very well. And I don't have the time to fight with all those issues you are going to have.
The end of the story? The S class rusted away and fell apart. The same happened with the Audi (except for rusting but the engine went bang), plus arrogant Audi customer service. Now they are driving actual Korean cars (not a "Korean" Lexus but actual Korean brands like Hyundai).

DRTDVL

Reaction score
I love a nice long 1st gear but it kills 0 - 100 times. I hate coming into a 50km corner and either being on the limiter instantly or being bogged down in 2nd. I like 1st to run out to 65ish kph.

I looked at the 80 - 120 times for the skl250, the 200hp, and R...

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/fiche4616-peugeot-rcz-r.htm
80 - 120 = 3.0s
80 - 180 = 11.7

http://www.zeperfs.com/en/fiche3297-peugeot-rcz-thp.htm
80 - 120 = 4.3s
80 - 180 = 16.3s

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/auta_perf1.php (they only had the cdi on the other site)
80 - 120 = 4.8s
100 - 180 = 17.8s (note 20kph higher starting speed)

You bought a b road performance car, you can't expect it to be a cruiser. If your really that concerned you could see if you could swap the 6th gear cog from a 200hp as it's a bit longer or if the diesels came in manual swap their top gear of possible.

But one of the selling points of the R was the closer ratio box...

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

DanRo

Reaction score
But these 80 to 120 km are done in the highest gear in case of the SLK that is the 7th or overdrive.
So you can't compare really. RCZ r don't have An overdrive.

DRTDVL

Reaction score
Nope from what I read they where the fastest (min.) speed times not in final gear times, but using all gears.

But your right, the final gear isn't a touring gear like most cars. But then you wouldn't expect a gt3 Porsche to have the same long gears as the base model. It's designed for performance not touring.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

DanRo

Reaction score
Normally 80to120 km acceleration tests are done in the highest gear.All the petrol RCZ have plus minus the same gear ratio's. 3000 rmp at 120km is way to high. Look at other modern very fast hatch backs like for example the Renault Megane rs they are fast but they don't run at those rpm's

DRTDVL

Reaction score
My friend's got a few Megane RS's, 2x F1 editions (1 is a race car), and he's had a RS 250.

He got me some photos of the rev gauge at 100 and 110kph from the F1 he went to work today in. You can see at 110 kph it's doing about 2500 rpm, so at 120 you would expect to see a similar jump to around 2750-2850 rpm which really isn't that far off the 3000 rpm your seeing in your R.

Attachments

• 100kph_2250rpm.jpg
    100kph_2250rpm.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 8,318
  • 110kph_2500rpm.jpg
    110kph_2500rpm.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 8,318

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
ONLY AEK said:
DanRo said:
I knew that I was just joking. What's is your RPM at 120km/h

i' ll check it and tell you
i know you re joking but still my offer exists.... :eusa-whistle:

Sorry for the late answer
2500rpm exactly

You can always change your 6th gear with a longer one
it helps a lot when you want to travell with economy mode on!

DKZ5745

Reaction score
renegade79 said:
My GTi (thp200) revs are around 2850 in 6th gear at 120km/h.

My GT200 is somewhere between that & 3000, not been on any motorways recently & it's difficult to keep to exactly 120km, look at the rev counter, steer round corners & overtake all those slower Audi TT's all at the same time :lol:

Plecodoras

Reaction score
I noticed that at 3000rpm my 200 was doing bang on 70mph.

On getting the R its running 2750rpm @ 70mph.

Haven't found on here yet but has anyone chipped there R, due to the fact it has better quality engine bits than the lower engines, chipping can get massive gains. I have been in touch with a German company whos chip produces 71hp more on the rolling road. That's a whopping 340hp. Add gains from custom exhaust, air filter, boost etc. What can one expect to get from this wee 1.6ltre engine? :helpme:

oh yeh forgot :oops: how do you get the limiter taken off?

:beer:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:

Haven't found on here yet but has anyone chipped there R, due to the fact it has better quality engine bits than the lower engines, chipping can get massive gains. I have been in touch with a German company whos chip produces 71hp more on the rolling road. That's a whopping 340hp. Add gains from custom exhaust, air filter, boost etc. What can one expect to get from this wee 1.6ltre engine? :helpme:

I wouldn't chip it if I was you.

I know of someone who did this with their R (European) and it blew their engine. Brand new engine had to be fitted.

tianorth

Reaction score
If its the same person they got it tuned to 340-350bhp but the tuner wouldn't let it go on the road with that and backed it down to ~310-320bhp and it still went......

Plecodoras

Reaction score
RCZ1 said:
Plecodoras said:

I wouldn't chip it if I was you.

I know of someone who did this with their R (European) and it blew their engine. Brand new engine had to be fitted.

tianorth said:
If its the same person they got it tuned to 340-350bhp but the tuner wouldn't let it go on the road with that and backed it down to ~310-320bhp and it still went......

That's bad. This German company warrants the engine for two years, this got me thinking it must be a pretty rock solid engine, if they are prepared to do that.
Was thinking could probably get the BHP upto around 350 ish, with chip Filter and exhaust. Guess you don't have to drive it like your possessed but it would be there if you needed it? might have to think again if the engines parameters are already finely tuned. :!:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
^ keep in mind that even the Pug Sport division does not push this engine beyond 310 bhp in their racing series. There are limits, even though it is a forged engine straight from the factory.