What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

RCZ R - speed limiter removed

RCZ-R

Reaction score
hi guys,

As promised before I went to a company to remove the 155mph limiter on my RCZ R.
I always considered this limiter as useless and stupid (why limiting at 155? why not 140 or 151? why even limiting?). But most of all I always wanted to know how fast can the RCZ R go when unleashed.

Now my RCZ R has no speed limiter and at the same time the rev limiter has been raised by 200 rpms towards 7000 rpms.

The result?

RCZ R does now 269 km/h which equates to 167 mph topspeed

I hope I can provide any video clip any soon. I do not promise it as my time is very limited (that is why I need an unlimited RCZ R on the roads :lol: :lol: ) but I'll do my best to provide any.

How does the car feel at those speeds? Absolutely safe and calm. Like it was born to run fast like that. Yes, the wind noises are bigger but show me a car aside from a Lexus, Bentley or R&R which is not loud at those speeds.

tianorth

Reaction score
It is due to the gentleman's agreement that road vehicles will be limited to 155 mph.
Only companies like the sports branch of Mercedes, AMG, BMW is M-power or Alpine .......can........ go beyond this limit.
But as it's only a gentleman's agreement if they produce a road car like the veyron they can ignore or at least get permission to bypass it.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
My brothers Mercedes GLA45 AMG is electronically restricted to 155.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It "can" get there rather quickly though :eusa-whistle:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Pretty sure he hasn't either-drives it round in "comfort" mode not sure if it's been over 40 mph yet (well not while he's been behind the wheel anyway. I did have to drive it round to mine to detail it for him while he was on holiday) :eusa-shhh:

RCZ-R

Reaction score
The so-called premium brands ask for premium prices to remove the 155mph limiter. And at the end they limit you again, at 170mph. Just another way to take away money from their customers.

I remember having a "race" with my Renault Megane sport against a S class on the autobahn. We did 155, side by side, three lanes of a perfect, long stretch of completely free autobahn. He stopped at 155 and I crawled in front of him doing 158. He wasn't very happy to see a 20k box overtake his +100k gangsta benz :lol:

A

Anonymous

In some cases its also a limit based on what the tyres can endure.

RCZ-R

Reaction score
anixie said:
In some cases its also a limit based on what the tyres can endure.

No worries with the RCZ R. The tyres are specified to over 186 mph.

DanRo

Reaction score
It's a shame that the RCZ R still relative small gear ratio's. When we do 120km (ca 75miles) the engine is running over 3000 rpm. My wife drives a Mercedes SLK 250 with 210 bhp en when she does 120km the engine only runs at 2000 rpm. With the SLK 3000 rpm = 180 km/u or 115 miles/h

But with "only" 210 bhp and longer/bigger gear ratio the car stil goes from 0-100km (0-60mils) in 6.5 sec. That's only 0,5 slower then the RCZ R.

So it's a shame that Peugeot Sport did't made a better perfoming 7 speed, double clutched gear box for the R. It would even accelerate quicker and have a higher top speed.

ONLY AEK

Reaction score
Im willing to trade mine gearbox (thp156) for yours!!!

RCZ-R

Reaction score
DanRo said:
It's a shame that the RCZ R still relative small gear ratio's. When we do 120km (ca 75miles) the engine is running over 3000 rpm. My wife drives a Mercedes SLK 250 with 210 bhp en when she does 120km the engine only runs at 2000 rpm. With the SLK 3000 rpm = 180 km/u or 115 miles/h

But with "only" 210 bhp and longer/bigger gear ratio the car stil goes from 0-100km (0-60mils) in 6.5 sec. That's only 0,5 slower then the RCZ R.

So it's a shame that Peugeot Sport did't made a better perfoming 7 speed, double clutched gear box for the R. It would even accelerate quicker and have a higher top speed.

I actually like it very much how it was done. The ratios have been selected perfectly for the available power output and car's aero (drag). You can sense there was someone behind it who really knows what he is doing and is not influenced by some marketing clowns. The best thing about those short ratios is the fact that the car still pulls strongly at over 120 mph where a lot of other cars with longer gearing ratios doesn't perform in their best RPM and torque range. This is where the R wins and pulls strong up to 155 mph.
Would it be longer, believe it or not, the R would not be any faster. It only would loose on the in gear acceleration.
For some it may be exhausting to ride the car at high revs while maintaining speeds of over 130 mph but I dont mind it. I often push the car at 145-155 for a very long time over miles and miles, especially at night.
But I can understand that in countries with speed limit one would rather have a longer gearing for highway cruising.

DanRo

Reaction score
How do you explain that my wife SLK250 with "only" 210 bhp goes from 0-100 in 6.5 sec that only 0,6 sec slower then the RCZ R. It's even 1 full second faster then the THP200.

With the short gears ratio of the R it's even very difficult to use 270 bhp that are avaible when you accelarate from 0-100 km. Before you know the wheel are spinning on you loss time and speed. If the gear ratio was bigger you will need be slower but quicker because the wheel will not spin so easy.

If have tuned a lot of motorcycle. I used to own a Yamaha Vmax 1200cc which had 140bhp originaly. After the engine preparation it changed into 1500cc with 200 bhp. When I was very difficult to use all that extra power because befor I knew it the rear wheel was spinning. It is a shaft drive so we changed the final gear ration with 15%. Result was that it was much easier the control the power and could accelerate much quicker without the wheel spinning.

If you chip tune the R you have between 380 and 400 Nm torque so even with bigger gear ratio it will accellerate very quickly.

A

Anonymous

DanRo said:
How do you explain that my wife SLK250 with "only" 210 bhp goes from 0-100 in 6.5 sec that only 0,6 sec slower then the RCZ R. It's even 1 full second faster then the THP200.

With the short gears ratio of the R it's even very difficult to use 270 bhp that are avaible when you accelarate from 0-100 km. Before you know the wheel are spinning on you loss time and speed. If the gear ratio was bigger you will need be slower but quicker because the wheel will not spin so easy.

If have tuned a lot of motorcycle. I used to own a Yamaha Vmax 1200cc which had 140bhp originaly. After the engine preparation it changed into 1500cc with 200 bhp. When I was very difficult to use all that extra power because befor I knew it the rear wheel was spinning. It is a shaft drive so we changed the final gear ration with 15%. Result was that it was much easier the control the power and could accelerate much quicker without the wheel spinning.

If you chip tune the R you have between 380 and 400 Nm torque so even with bigger gear ratio it will accellerate very quickly.

Is the SLK not rwd?
Go in gear or 60-100mph and the slk will be far behind the R in all these departments ;)

DanRo

Reaction score
I can hope so their is a 50 bhp difference.

But even with a difference of 50 bhp and it being much heavier (1500kg) it still goes from 0-100km in 6,5 sec and it has a top speed of 245km. That it's a only 0,6 sec slower than the R with 50bp less and ca 300 kg more.