What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Performance of 156 compared to 200

A

Anonymous

Hi All, just got back from test driving the 200thp, not blown away as i thought i was going to be!, loved the sports wheel and the sound was fantastic but i didnt feel it was a smooth as the 156 and it also seemed to pick the bumps up abit more!!, customer service i had was terrible though! drove 50 minutes and didnt even get a offered a cup of coffe!! how very dare they!! lol

A

Anonymous

I got the same feeling here when i took out the 200, all a bit hard and aggresive, then again i guess it's down to pure choice and what you want a need from the car.
The sound and steering wheel is all part of the "sports kit" option, which is standard on the 200 but optional extra on the 156 (£320).
The sporty sound is from a clever little sound box on the exhaust.

A

Anonymous

beetle9 said:
Hi, as several posts have stated the 200 does have extra stiffening at the front of the car. The front hubs are also uprated from what I understand. I haven't driven a 156 so can't comment on how it drives, but from my perspective I am more than happy with the performance from my 200. The difference in fuel economy between 156 and 200 wasn't an issue for me, and the fact that both models have the same yearly road tax costs swung it in favour of the 200.Decisions decisions

Regards

Jez

The Hubs in the 156 as I understand are similar to that in the DS3 156. The hubs in the RCZ 200 come from the 407 :thumbup:

The 200 also comes with stronger Pistons and larger turbo charger to give it the extra Ooomph...

HOWEVER.

The New DS3-R uses, as its base, a 156 engine rather than the 200 engine and makes a rather tasty 207 Bhp :lol: seemingly the RCZ 200 Turbo was too big for its engine bay so it made it's 207 with remap and more efficient airflow route.
This bodes well for someone that wants to quicken their 156 in the future I guess as the power is there waiting to be unlocked and also the smaller turbo will produce less lag than the larger one. For drivers of the 200 there seems to be a lot of room to unlock extra ponies too which is good! So potential all round!

Oh and the 200 comes as standard with the sports kit.. which in my opinion seems worth it a punt. even as an aftersales buy for a 156. Things like upgraded brakes and stiffening bars can be had - and at a better quality than the OEM - from tuners so if you save your £2,500 and then feel like you need some more pizzaz then there are options. :thumbup: :p

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
The sound and steering wheel is all part of the "sports kit" option, which is standard on the 200 but optional extra on the 156 (£320).
The sporty sound is from a clever little sound box on the exhaust.

clever box is air induction noise rather than exhaust :eusa-whistle: ;)

A

Anonymous

Figo, thanks for the info, i keep calling it a sound box on the exhaust because that's how the sales guy explained . :crazy:

Based on my tests runs in both the 156 and 200 and also from what i read, the 200 is a stiffer and obviously a little quicker than the 156. A few months ago i took out a Honda TypeR GT and a TypeS GT, i found that i had the same sort of driving experience with them as i did with the 156 and the 200, one was a more rigid and slightly aggressive harsh ride, albeit a bit quicker, the other felt a smoother and more refined ride, however this still had a fair bit of pull, but not so "snappy" when the power was applied.
Another thing i found on the 200 was that the road noise seemed a lot louder in the cabin than on the 156, maybe this was down to the 200 being "stiffer" allround, but it certainly was a louder, harsher ride than the 156.

Obviously this really is down to what you want and need from a car. :dance:

RCZ1

Reaction score
It could also be down to the bigger tyres too. Size of tyres really does have an impact on ride comfort and holding.

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
It could also be down to the bigger tyres too. Size of tyres really does have an impact on ride comfort and holding.
Sure does! In this months EVO magazine a long term Megane 250 swapped its 19's for 18's and the car was like a new beastie in the testers eyes!

A

Anonymous

Yeah i fully agree, the tyre size, pressure even the make of tyre will have an impact on cabin and road noise, interesting thing was that both the 156 and the 200 that i took out, were both GT model's riding on 19's, yet there was a definate difference between the two car's, in cabin noise coming through from the road, my wife picked up on this immediatly as we pulled off, then as we went up and down a dual carraigway a few times it was obvious that the 156 was quieter, felt smoother.

When i pointed this out to the sales guy, he remarked that other buyers had found this to be the same, then he wanted to talk about finance and interest rates. :sleeping-yellow:

I wouldnt know if they were the same make tyre, but i would guess that Peugot do use the same manufacture for thier tyres ? :eusa-think: