What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Performance of 156 compared to 200

A

Anonymous

On order is my 156 Gt, which for me is ample bhp, i wont be throwing the car around corners or screaming up and down the motorway, but i would like some real honest, unbiased opinions on the performance of both the 156 and 200 Rcz's.

I did read on here somewhere that the 200 has bigger discs and different steering/suspension, anti roll bars ect, however according to the Peugot website both cars have the same steering/suspension, anti rollbars ect, but the 200 does have slightly bigger discs. Kerb weights of both cars is fractional.

At the moment i'm driving a Vauxhall Astra Sri 125bhp, which is about 100kgs lighter than the RCZ, so i'm thinking the performance should then even out between the Astra and the 156GT. Not sure if the turbo on the RZC will give it a slight edge ?

When i test drove the 200, i found that it did have a little bit of a punch compared to the 156, not so much pulling off but probably between 60-80, (motorway sort of speeds) but without being able to compare over a period of time, it was a close call to be honest, also it was belting down with rain when i took the 156 out, so i couldnt give it too much of the right foot.

Anyway it would be good to read some unbiased opinions from owners of both cars. :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
I own the 156. I've never driven the 200.

I bought the 156 as like you, I don't often get the chance to blast down motorways or throw it around corners (having said that one night this week I had the chance, open country roads, no traffic about so had a bit of fun and it was a hoot :thumbup: ). However, when I need to there is plenty of power on tap, in the lower gears especially to really speed away. You can go from 25 to 60 in the blink of an eye without really realising. I had some stupid white van man sat right on my tail on my way home from work one evening, so as soon as the opportunity arose, foot down in 3rd gear and before I knew it, the spoiler was up (and I was only in a 40 mph zone:eek: ). The car feels very planted, going round corners and on country roads, minimal roll, if any :thumbup:

It's quite economical too, which I'm pleased with so all in all this car fulfils all my requirements on every level. :beer:

A

Anonymous

Thank you RZC1, i'm not concerned with the 156's performance, in fact on the test drive that i did there was not a massive difference, it's just that some threads state that the 200 is a completley different car to drive compared to the 156, how this is i do not know because both are the same apart from 40bhp and bigger braking discs, the feel and handling should be the same surely ?

The sales guy at my local dealership said the same thing as you regarding the lower gears, basicaly there's nothing in it between both engines, it's only up around 70/80 that the 200 has a bit of an advantage, whether all 200 owner's would agree with this do not know ?
Ok i appreciate that the 200 will have a bit more snap but does that account for £2300 more on the price, or is it really a totaly different driving experience. :eusa-think:
Having said that if my budget stretched a little further i would of probably gone for the 200. :crazy:
It's a tough one i think, this is why it would be nice to have some unbiased feedback.

A

Anonymous

I took out a 156 and a 200 and in the end went for the 200. The extra stiffening of the 200 gave it a tighter feeling on corners, like it was on rails. I didnt find the 156 so stable and easy to manage at higher speeds. Of course, not all people drive the same so the differences might be less...or more! In terms of acceleration there is a noticeable difference. The extra 45hp does count. I estimate about 1.5 seconds difference to 100kph. Neither are 'fast' cars but for me there was definately a different driving experience. Thr brakes are also another matter...better on the 200 in my opinion. The extra large discs up front really do the trick. I was very impressed by the 200...also the 156, but again, there is a difference. For my way of driving the 200 outshone the 156...and I haven't mentioned the sound in the cabin either! Enjoy whatever car you have, they are both fantastic motors, i would be very very happy with either one.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Valle,
I notice that you found the 200 "tighter" on cornering, initialy i thought the 200 had different suspesion/ steering ect to the 156 but having looked at the spec of both cars on the Peuogot web site they state that both cars are the same in that respect, Pseudo McPherson type on both car's, or am i missing something ?

The "sporty" sound in the cabin is obtained via the sports kit which is standard on the 200, but optional on the 156. So i think this cabin sound can be obtained in the 156 also.

My only small concern is the weight of the car with the 156 engine .

A

Anonymous

the 200 does have an extra stiffening bar, so the handling should be a bit more rigid but accurate

A

Anonymous

hi jactac
had the 200 for 2 days this week whilst my 156 was in dealers WOW cant put my finger on one single thing but it is fab not that there is anything wrong with the 156 the mid range power is well quick but in a usable way . the car feels alot sharper and stiffend up and just seems to keep pulling through the rev range hard to sum up but i am well taken with it and you can tell the difference between the two models . marginal fuel consumption difference so now considering if to move up to one !!!! :wtf: :crazy:

A

Anonymous

Mel, it's good to get an opinion from a 156 owner who has driven the 200 for a few days, only one thing wrong with what you've written, it makes me wonder if i've made the right choice. :eusa-think:
Cheers mate now more sleepless nights. :sleeping-yellow:

When you say mid range power is quick, do you mean in the 156 or the 200 ?

A

Anonymous

jactac it all depends on how much driving you do in a year and what sort it is ie short journeys to work or longer trips ?? mine is used as the best car at weekends and the wife goes to work in it 3 days a week but we go on regular run outs at weekends and i know the 200 will give us more smiles per hour :thumbup: and hey we only live once just trying to keep myself busy at mo that way i dont keep thinking what to do next :eek: :? but at this rate i dont think i can but it off forever :eusa-think:

FGRob

Reaction score
I've driven a 200 at the Silverstone event last year, would I change - No - I really don't think it's worth it for the type of use the car gets - that's the important bit, I need good economy as I run pretty local all week and then on the few occasion I can let it loose the 156 flys, when I'm driving on the motorway the car just eats up the miles with a good fuel return, which is great considering the size of the car.

But then again when I do want some fun and push to the limits I use my MR2 which is a totally different ball game.

At the end of the day you can still only do 70 mph. :wave:

Rob - still holding head in hands

A

Anonymous

At the end of the day you can still only do 70 mph. :wave: looks like the two stage spoiler will need oiling up then rob and going into hibernation then :dance:

lionhart

Reaction score
hi jactac i have the 200 had a test in all 3 types yes its slightly better than the other two.but its thirsty in petrol £68 to fill the tank thats without the light comeing on and i dont drive fast.i dont think there is that bigger difference between them.thats my opinion.

FGRob

Reaction score
It was screwed down by one of the MR2 drivers when I was out with then last year, they got fed-up of me waving at them every time I went of 57 mph. :dance: :dance: :lol: :lol:

I go that slow now I don't even get stage one - it's an age thing :thumbup: :crazy: :eek: :oops: :eusa-whistle: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-yellow:

A

Anonymous

Thanks guy's, great, sensible opinions,
i think i've made the right choice in the 156, i'm not a speed freak, but i do appreciate a bit of power when it's needed, basicaly the car will be used for commuting (2 miles) and a bit of shopping with the odd bit of motorway driving thrown in now and then, between myself and the wife we probably do no more than 4000 miles a year.

For me it's more of styling and looks to be honest, but saying that, i didnt want the car to feel as if it struggles, as it is quite an heavy car.
I did have problems locally finding a dealer with a 156 in stock to test drive, when i did managed a test drive it was lashing down with rain and it was at peak traffic time, so i did my best up and down a few dual carriageways, but i didnt get a chance to make a good comparison to the 200 that i had previously taken out.

A

Anonymous

In Australia all models are the same price so it was a no-brainer for me to choose the 200 hp model. I did get to test drive both models but never really had an opportunity to push them to a point where I would have noticed much difference performance wise. I chose the 200 based on the written specifications and the fact it was a manual (the 156 is only available in Auto here) and I figured a sporty car like the RCZ needs a manual gearbox.

A

Anonymous

Hi, as several posts have stated the 200 does have extra stiffening at the front of the car. The front hubs are also uprated from what I understand. I haven't driven a 156 so
Can't comment on how it drives, but from my perspective I am
More than happy with the performance from my 200. The difference in fuel economy between 156 and 200 wasn't an issue for me, and the fact that both models have the same yearly road tax costs swung it in favour of the 200.Decisions decisions

Regards

Jez

A

Anonymous

im same as rob its an age thing with me- a hdi with cheep tax good mpg plus live in the sticks, most roads are 50mph red routes. bolted the spoiler down.

A

Anonymous

Really good response, and unbiased too,
It is obviously down to what you want and need. As long as the 156 still has enough punch to pull the weight of the Rcz then i'll be happy.
I won't be throwing it around corners, and judging the handling or eyeing up the car next to me for a quick 0-60 run in.

Anyway they will be left at the lights with their tongues tuck to their dashboards & drooling by the looks and style of the stunning White RCZ that just glided away. :D

A

Anonymous

My Wife has a mini sport which I believe has the same engine as the 200, very quick off the mark and very responsive, the 156 is a lot smoother.
It reminds me of the two bulls in the field, but that's another story.