What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Overheated engine?

A

Anonymous

Hi all,
yesterday I took my car to the dealership where I bought it for it's 1-year service. I've had my THP 200 exactly one year and I haven't ran into any problems what so ever...
Now, after the service I head home and after about 5 minutes I get a warning on the display that says something like "Engine overheated, stop the car" and the temperature gauge is up to the max of the red area (130 C) and the fan was running. I stopped the car and called the dealership and they said that when they checked, all the coolant liquid was full, so they suspect it could be a malfunctioning temperature sensor, and told me to drive back to them.
I poped the hood and felt on the engine, but it didn't feel melting-hot (I don't know how it feels normally since I haven't needed to pop the hood except when washing the car) as one should expect- given the alert message I thought it would be hot like lava.

After the initial inspection, they said it's the "thermostat house" (don't know the proper English word for it) that needs to be replaced so they had to order one and in the mean time I got a temporary car, it's supposed to take a couple of days.
I asked the technician if that was common on the RCZ since they've sold a bunch of them during the last year and he said he's never seen that problem on the RCZ but they've had one Peugeot car with that fault before.

Frankly, it worries me that such a thing can happen already after 1 year on the road, makes me think about the quality. Good thing it's covered by the warranty, but even so, it's not a good sign, although I know all cars have "bugs"...

So my question know, is if anyone here has ran into this problem before? Is it common?
Thanx!

A

Anonymous

hi!
That exact fault happened to me yesterday! so thats 2 of us.

How long did it take to fix? Have you had it back yet?

Mine is was delivered in june '11, so just after yours......

Honky

A

Anonymous

Hi Honky,
sorry to hear that you got the same problem.

They replaced that "electronic thermostat house" (don't know the proper name in English) and I got my car back the other day and went on a long trip (4 hours) and everything is fine now.
The dealership said it took almost a full day to replace it.

I would suspect this part was faulty and this fault manifests itself after about a year, at least it looks that way.
I recommend you take your RCZ to your dealership and get it replaced.

Keep us posted!

A

Anonymous

the same issue, 1case reported from China RCZ forum, said that 3000KM ,half an year new car.
So far do not know whether the problem common or not.

A

Anonymous

Its the engines tempreture sensor and its got nowt to do with time i had my car 5 months 4,000 miles and it had to be replaced, it sends the temp gauge sky high the fan goes into hyperdrive and you cant get hot air blown from the cars heater it also cuts off the automatic choke in the engine hence its hard to start the engine but if the parts in stock its only a hour or so to change but if not in stock the car can be in 3-4 days at the dealership.this was and still is a common fault of the 308 which i am afraid the rcz has inhereted :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Hi all, just a quick follow-up:
A couple of days after I got my RCZ back I suddenly started getting alerts about "low coolant" level. I suspected it might have to do with the thermostat replacement I had done. Since I was a long way from my dealer, the only thing I could do was to just add water and hope there's no leak.
Took the car to the dealer, they couldn't do a real test (pressure testing for leakage) because the engine was hot but they said it's probably an air pocket somewhere, and that's normal after having the thermostat-thing replaced. So I'm just keeping an eye on the coolant level so it doesn't decrease. Other than that, the engine temperature seems to stay normal around 90C.
So Jassyo06, looks like you mentioned that it's the common 308 fault that some of our cars have inherited.

Honky, how did it go?

A

Anonymous

Looks like I've got this problem too, my car is 14 months old, has done almost 12000 miles and today I had a warning fault telling me to stop the car, the temperature was reading in the red but the engine was still cold as it had only been running for a few minutes. Does anyone know if it's ok to keep driving it with this fault or will it make things worse? I can't get to the main dealers till the middle of next week.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?kxobj5

A

Anonymous

Hi Adele,
sorry to hear that you experience similar trouble with your RCZ. If there's any consolation, the fact that it's common should hopefully help Peugeot fix this quickly. Refer your dealer to this forum if they start question you or so.

When my engine was overheated, I didn't want to roll a bit so I wouldn't damage the engine, but the dealer said it should be OK to drive to them (I was about 5 minutes away when it happened). But just to be safe, I would avoid additional driving until you get it checked.
Good luck!

A

Anonymous

It was good to read that others have had this problem too and I'm not the only one, up until now I have had no problems the the car so this morning came as a shock, just hope I don't lose faith in the car now, thanks for the advice, I will keep you posted

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xvmxev

A

Anonymous

adele said:
It was good to read that others have had this problem too and I'm not the only one, up until now I have had no problems the the car so this morning came as a shock, just hope I don't lose faith in the car now, thanks for the advice, I will keep you posted

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xvmxev

Adele :thumbup: when this happened to me the AA SAID IT WAS OKAY TO DRIVE when they left but said get it fixed ASAP as its a electrical fault not a mechanical fault

A

Anonymous

Thanks jassy :thumbup: I won't push my luck to far :dance:

A

Anonymous

Took my car to Robins and Day at Cribbs causeway last Friday, the customer service I recieved was excellent from the word go, I did have a bit of a panic attack when a young lad armed with the car key came over to drive my car into their car wash for a courtesy clean :thumbdown: after the fitter there explained that it's not advisable to put a RCZ through the car wash because it will scratch the hoops etc the young lad then offered to vacuum the car, I declined that service too. Even though the problem with the overheating had stopped the fitter found the record of it when he plugged into his laptop, he ran the engine to temperature and was happy that the fan was cutting in at the right time, making it safe to drive. The results came back from Peugeot saying the water bottle needs to be replaced, so it's going in for the day tomorrow to be done :thumbup: I was really impressed with the way my car was treated with respect and not parked in the usually pick up bay with the other cars but parked outside the showroom on its own :clap:

A

Anonymous

Thanks RCZ1 :thumbup: My car and I was made to feel like a VIP last Friday :dance:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Good. That's how it should be for everyone. I had similar treatment when I had my wing mirrors replaced and 1 year service at the same time. They couldn't have done enough for me :)

A

Anonymous

Hey Guys

Had the same problem yesterday and i only have about 6000kms on the clock. Took it to my dealer this morning and it looks like the water bottle and some sensor needs to be replaced.

Seems to going around because they had the same issue with someone else last week. Scared the crap out of me when i saw it.

A

Anonymous

Had my bottle changed last week, it was in for two days, it looks like this could be a common fault, I know how you felt when that warning light came on. But mine is as good as new now, panic over

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?txpkgh

Low_Rider

Reaction score
In the day i took left my RCZ, when the salesman I was explaining how the satnav works, this alert appears, with the engine running but with the car parked.

They tell me that is a common fault in the THP200 and is the sensor temp in the reservoir. They change that in my car and fixed the problem.

This all happens in May 2011.

Recently i have noticed that when i push the revs up, after i start up the engine and drive off, the same alert appears but without the movement of the needle in the temperature gauge.
That happens in yours cars?

Cheers

A

Anonymous

Low_Rider said:
Recently i have noticed that when i push the revs up, after i start up the engine and drive off, the same alert appears but without the movement of the needle in the temperature gauge.
That happens in yours cars?

Cheers

that happened to me first a few times. Then a couple of months later it started to do it at all times randomly.