What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

open to considering the RC HDi as a daily driver (frightened of the 'Prince' of Darkness that lurks within the ICE!)

Griff4.3

Reaction score
New here guys, so no piling on top for offbeat tastes ;)

You will see in a couple of other threads I am looking to tame the severely crashy ride due to health and age and not convinced the 200Gt set up cant be radically improved (comfort wise) for everyday use.

Willing to compromise ride height and turn-in to achieve.

Does the HDi have same brake O/D restricting it to 18" or larger as does the 200Gt ?

Does HDi Gt come with 18" not 19"?

Like to fit compliant side wall tyres of tallest profile that will clear everything, dont mind going narrower. - Run at lower end of acceptable pressure

If funds allow, consider custom progressive longer adjustable height Eibach springs with tunable dampers

Why? Love the looks inside and out, love the current under valuation. Dont need the jarring ride when not racing (my single seater was way softer ride,....or is that just the passing years!)

Kenneth

Reaction score
New here guys, so no piling on top for offbeat tastes ;)

You will see in a couple of other threads I am looking to tame the severely crashy ride due to health and age and not convinced the 200Gt set up cant be radically improved (comfort wise) for everyday use.

Willing to compromise ride height and turn-in to achieve.

Does the HDi have same brake O/D restricting it to 18" or larger as does the 200Gt ?

Does HDi Gt come with 18" not 19"?

Like to fit compliant side wall tyres of tallest profile that will clear everything, dont mind going narrower. - Run at lower end of acceptable pressure

If funds allow, consider custom progressive longer adjustable height Eibach springs with tunable dampers

Why? Love the looks inside and out, love the current under valuation. Dont need the jarring ride when not racing (my single seater was way softer ride,....or is that just the passing years!)
My mate has a Morgan. And has his chiropractor on speed dial 😂

it honestly feels like there’s no suspension at all round town.

lfe

Reaction score
On all RCZs except R the standard wheels were 18" with the option of ordering 19".

Griff4.3

Reaction score
indeed, much larger than on my Griff, - so, considering trading some of the popular modern 'stance' for traditional comfort

Personally, I would go for narrower 55s by choice on the RC as a daily driver for back roads - has anyone checked clearances for narrower higher profile tyres on the 18s

Had a tuned Prodrive STi PPP which had relatively firm suspension, however it was never crashy, and that was a seriously quick car which wasnt shy of corners

lfe

Reaction score
As an emergency wheel, I have one from a Peugeot 407 with a 215/55 R17 tire that looks horrible when fitted, it fits much more inside, plus the car runs badly, it trends to go to the side of the narrow wheel.

I recommend you avoid such experiments, as I said before the RCZ is a wrong choice if you are looking for a car with soft suspension.

Apart from the problems you may have with the annual technical inspection (MOT in UK) or with the insurance company for having modified the car.

That would be impossible here in Spain, it is only allowed the car to have the tire measurements specified in the technical sheet, maybe in the UK is the same.

Last edited:

Kenneth

Reaction score
As an emergency wheel, I have one from a Peugeot 407 with a 215/55 R17 tire that looks horrible when fitted, it fits much more inside, plus the car runs badly, it trends to go to the side of the narrow wheel.

I recommend you avoid such experiments, as I said before the RCZ is a wrong choice if you are looking for a car with soft suspension.

Apart from the problems you may have with the annual technical inspection (MOT in UK) or with the insurance company for having modified the car.

That would be impossible here in Spain, it is only allowed the car to have the tire measurements specified in the technical sheet, maybe in the UK is the same.

most hot hatches I’ve ever been in aren’t exactly magic carpet rides and the Z is the same really. They corner like it does mean the suspension is going to be stiffer than most. I’m not sure I’d like to drive one that. But if you just want the looks and a bit more of a soft drive then you probably could jiggle about with them and get what you want. You’d lose a bit of what the car is supposed to be though.

Griff4.3

Reaction score
most hot hatches I’ve ever been in aren’t exactly magic carpet rides and the Z is the same really. They corner like it does mean the suspension is going to be stiffer than most. I’m not sure I’d like to drive one that. But if you just want the looks and a bit more of a soft drive then you probably could jiggle about with them and get what you want. You’d lose a bit of what the car is supposed to be though.

I have the Griff for a little more drama!...When I can afford to recommission..

Griff4.3

Reaction score
Quite a lot more drama I would think.

I have been out in one before. Rapid.
a true 4 sec 60, one up :)

15" wheels, 215 front tyres, higher profile - Remember the remarkable Elan had 155 tall profile tyres and was heralded as one of the best at cornering - its not all about ultra low wide tyres and stiff springs

Kenneth

Reaction score
a true 4 sec 60, one up :)

15" wheels, 215 front tyres, higher profile - Remember the remarkable Elan had 155 tall profile tyres and was heralded as one of the best at cornering - its not all about ultra low wide tyres and stiff springs
I had an integrale back in the day. That felt like it was on wooden wheels until you opened it up and let it gallop. It was all about the cornering. The Z 200 I’ve got is quite similar from that point of view. Nowhere close in ability of course but “similar”. If have a downhill stretch of road in my commute that lasts a couple of miles. Really twisty and it really tests the car. I have seen my self hang back before entering that bit of road just so I have a clear run at it. That’s what the Z is good at. Very very good at. My own bit of Nurburgring 😇

Going uphill is every bit as good.

Griff4.3

Reaction score
My tyre research to help provide a supple ride in the less frantic HDi :

Standard tyre size for 2011 Peugeot RCZ 2.0 HDi FAP 163:

Rim size (in):18
Tyre width (mm):235
Tyre sidewall factor:45
Total wheel diameter (mm / in):669 / 26.3

Alternative tyre size for 2011 Peugeot RCZ 2.0 HDi FAP 163:

Rim size (in):18
Alternative tyre size:225/50 R 18
Total wheel diameter (mm / in):682 / 26.9
Percentage diameter difference to the original (%):1.9

Conclusion: Reducing width to a still generous 225 and increasing sidewall profile to 50 aspect, only increases radius by : 682-669 / 2 = 6.5 mm (0.3”) – this combined with width reduction almost certainly wont create clearance issues and negligible speedo variation.

Compared with 19” wheels this variant would slacken off profile from an ultra low 40 to 50 for those who are looking for a more supple ride / break less rims on modern UK ‘roads’