What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

OEM Bi-Xenon Retrofit Completed

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I have been dying to fit xenon lights on my RCZ but I am quite particular when it comes to things like this and I think all the HID conversions ruin the look of nice cars,

I thought I would share with you how I retrofitted 2 x Peugeot 308 Official Bi-Xenon Headlights to my RCZ (They are exactly the same for those of you that didn't know),

They are not plug and play, in fact the wiring is quite confusing but I have sussed it out, please see the wiring diagram that I have created, this shows you which pins need to be changed....

Please note this guide will not show you how to connect the motors in the headlamp as these are different to the standard halogen ones and cannot be connected to the car's manual rheostat (Adjuster), however it will utilise the Xenon Full beam :dance:

So to get started you will need:

2 x OEM RCZ / 308 Xenon Headlights including bulbs and control units ( I picked up two for £150 each off eBay)
1 x Torx Set
1 x Flat head screwdriver
Patience

1. Using the wiring guide I have created, locate the connectors on the xenon headlamps, remove the rubber dust cover nearest the connector

2. Using a torx (I think its a T20 Head), remove the screw that is screwed into the rear of the connector to stop it moving out of place, you will struggle to get your hands in, after several attempts I was able to hold the T20 Torx head with my fingers and slowly loosen the screw from each light, if you drop the T20 head in the headlight - don't worry it will tip out quite easily (as I found out)

3. Once the screw is removed, using a flat head screw driver, from the outside rear of each light slot it down the left and right sides of the white plug to unclip the connector from the little grooves they are sat in, you don't need to use brute force for this, stay calm and relaxed! Once completed you should be able to push each connector into the inside of each light,

4. There isn't much leeway with the wires in the way to do the next part so at this stage go make a brew and put your patience hat on, on the rear of each of the white connectors (where the pins go into the white block) you will see two carriers that stop the pins from moving, these need to be unclipped by gently sliding a flat upwards and downwards on either side, once you have done this you should be able to see all the pins clearly,

5) Paying close attention to my wiring diagram, and using a fine flat head screw driver, slide it into the front of the white block connector (the side where the pins touch the car's loom) and push it in until you feel the pin release, you should now be able to slide the pin out of that particular slot, I would recommend doing 1 pin at a time rather than removing them all at once as a lot of the colours look the same, it took me ages to work out that diagram after several tests with my volt meter, once you slide out a pin you will need to bend the little bit that hooks into the white block connector back up in preparation for the sliding it in to a new slot

6) Once you have swapped these around, ensure all the pins that control the motors are removed from the white block connector and securely tape them up, I left these cable tied together inside the headlight, bear in mind your xenons can be adjusted manually using a screwdriver on the obvious 'white' point on the rear of the headlight

7) Once you are happy with all the pins, carry out a 'tug' test to make sure they don't slide out, then click the carriers back into place, slot your connector back into the headlight casing and (struggle) putting the torx screw back in to hold it in place

Your lights are now ready to be fitted, I followed this guide to remove the bumper and it was very easy to do....

http://www.forgemotorsport.com/media/FMINTRCZ.pdf

Here is my RCZ Before/During and After...

Hope this helps anyone that is thinking of doing a Xenon conversion, it looks way better than doing a cheap and nasty HID conversion using non-projector style lenses...

Thanks

Jamie

Attachments

• Wiring.jpg
    Wiring.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 12,369
  • IMG_0187CON.jpg
    IMG_0187CON.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 12,349
  • IMG_0189CON.jpg
    IMG_0189CON.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 12,351
A

Anonymous

Well Jamie...hats off to you for that one. I won't even claim to be able to get my head round this one but I'm impressed with your efforts and guide!! :thumbup:

RCZ1

Reaction score
What an excellent post :thumbup:

Hats off to you for all your hard work. I don't understand a word but I do know that you have put a lot of time and effort into producing this very informative post which will prove helpful to other members who may be planning to do the same thing. Excellent !

Blog: http://rczandme.wordpress.com/

A

Anonymous

Have you also added the washer jets to keep it road legal?

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys, I haven't fitted the washer jets or the sensors that automatically adjust the height, that would make it quite a big job, something that I may tackle at a later stage, I have however purchased the washer jet covers and I have sawn the lugs off them with the anticipation of getting them colour coded and then I plan on using self adhesive to apply them to my front bumper - again to give that oem look, I'll post a picture once I have done this

Thanks

Jamie

A

Anonymous

That's a really good idea personally hate headlight washers they don't so much wash the headlights as plaster ur nice clean car with soapy crap. :)

Abzynthe

Reaction score
When you do it. You may want to tell the MOT tester that they are blanks. Otherwise it could fail on the headlight washers not working lol.

A

Anonymous

So you can now blind all oncoming drivers in style. The automatic adjusters are there for a very good reason. I sincerely hope that no on coming motorists are involved in accidents due to temporary blindness. Sorry but as a person with monocular vision I am acutely aware of the difficulties caused by misaligned headlamps.

A

Anonymous

Before I took the old headlights out, I taped on the garage door where the beam pattern was on the lowest setting, When setting up the xenons I set them up to be around 2mm lower that the lowest halogen setting to avoid that problem, even in this case the night driving visibility is far greater :)

frankvdb

Reaction score
Abzynthe said:
When you do it. You may want to tell the MOT tester that they are blanks. Otherwise it could fail on the headlight washers not working lol.

Wouldn't it still fail because you need to have operational washers and level adjustment with Xenon lights?
I'm sure it would fail here.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
I guess it depends who you have MOT it. My mate said that it only says that if they have them they need to work. I asked him because of my HIDs and he said he wpuldnt fail mine because theres no non working parts and the headlights are correctly aligned.

A

Anonymous

For me this modification is wrong on several levels. It is illegal. No working automatic headlight adjuster. No headlamp washer. These are needed due to the intensity of the beam. When particles of dirt are left on the headlamps the beam is deflected off of these particles and blind/dazzle oncoming innocent legal road users (like myself) If/when this vehicle is sold I strongly suspect that the buyer will be informed that his vehicle is illegal and could well be forced to spend money making it road legal again. This in vanity over legality and I for one to not support it :thumbdown:

A

Anonymous

Ron stop taking the Moral high ground its only xenon headlamps... :wtf: Great job Shoey

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
Ron stop taking the Moral high ground its only xenon headlamps... :wtf: Great job Shoey

Jassy I am not taking the moral high ground just for the sake of doing so. It is darn right dangerous for other road users. Especially people with eyesight like my own. It is also against the forum rules by my interpretation of them and I believe that this thread should be removed.

• Posting, distributing, transmitting or promoting illegal content,

A

Anonymous

Sorry Ron, I disagree. You could level the same remarks about a great many of the lighting threads etc relating to some of the bulbs which some of us have fitted which aren't E Marked and are correspondingly not strictly legal, the HID kits which are a legal grey area etc. There are enough posts to intimate that this isn't a strictly legal modification and I think that members should be allowed to make their own decisions whether or not they'd like to do it. However, if Abz or EvilDerboy disagree with me then I am only too happy to be overruled.

A

Anonymous

Well according to the PSNI every car that has a non factory fitted exhaust is technically breaking the law. Oh the joys of useless training courses.

A

Anonymous

bigmac3161 said:
Well according to the PSNI every car that has a non factory fitted exhaust is technically breaking the law. Oh the joys of useless training courses.

That's an odd one. So a cars life is for as long as the exhaust holds out. Only the Irish could come up with one like that :lol:

A

Anonymous

mrizzle said:
Sorry Ron, I disagree. You could level the same remarks about a great many of the lighting threads etc relating to some of the bulbs which some of us have fitted which aren't E Marked and are correspondingly not strictly legal, the HID kits which are a legal grey area etc. There are enough posts to intimate that this isn't a strictly legal modification and I think that members should be allowed to make their own decisions whether or not they'd like to do it. However, if Abz or EvilDerboy disagree with me then I am only to happy to be overruled.

I would expect you to Mr Rizz, :wtf: