What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Non Starter

Woodso

Reaction score
I came out of work last night at 00:00 jumped in the car and went to start and all I got was a "clicking" noise, lights and every thing came on but just would not start. Tried jump leads and bearing in mind it was pitch black, I found out that the accessible battery terminals were all positive, even though the protective covers are Red & Black, when the jump leads started to melt.

My colleagues give me a bump start and off I went, thinking the battery was shot. Got up this morning and it started 1st time, I have been out and about all morning and it starts like a good un, no problems, so I don't feel that it is the battery.

If it was the battery I would have expected nothing this morning, so I am thinking it was a starter circuit issue, perhap's due to the severe cold a relay/solenoid stuck.

I was just wondering if any of you guy's have had a similar issue and is it a common problem with the RCZ?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Never had any starting issues with mine but I do know the RCZ does need a good battery to keep everything sweet electrical issues,warnings and poor running have been attributed to week batteries.

I’m tipping you have now found out where the jump lead connections go?

Woodso

Reaction score
Well the car failed again starting last Thursday morning when I was setting off for work, which appeared again to be a flat battery, so booked it in on for yesterday for the garage I bought it from to sort under warranty which they have done by replacing the battery.

When I was dropping it off on Saturday morning, the wife who was behind me noticed that the Brake Light below the Spoiler had lost the last 4 Led's on the driver's side with the 5th inner one "flashing". I pointed this out when I was booking it in and although they have not managed to get one yet, as it appears they are as rare as Hen's Teeth, they have assured me that they will replace the faulty unit also under warranty.

Having seen a couple of thread's on here, it seems to be a fairly common problem but it appears that this unit is sealed with any "duff" LED's unable to be replaced.

Has anyone actually took one of these apart to diagnose the problem?

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Have they checked it since replacing the battery ?, dead batteries on RCZ’s have been know to throw up all kinds of issues, so maybe the brake led’s Were linked to the dead battery.
Just a thought, it would save the problem of finding a replacement.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Common problem the led brake light I would love to have a go at repairing one if it’s possible to split the unit apart then I think it could be repaired.
I have one led out on mine but until more fail I’ll leave it.

A dealer should be able to order the part I think they’re around £120 + VAT.

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Yeah like Neil says, I'd definitely have a look at repairing, good with the old smoldering iron me !

All you need is a nice small tip for the delicate bits.....

Easy.. :eusa-whistle:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Have a look on YouTube there’s quite a few videos on there showing how to replace the led strip cheaply it’s weather the light will split or not?.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys new to the rcz, can you get the led high level brake light repaired?

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
Jacknagington said:
Hi guys new to the rcz, can you get the led high level brake light repaired?

Don’t know anyone who has repaired one yet :eusa-think: if you can split the unit then it can be repaired with new led strip. But not actually had mine off to see if it’s possible.

robrac

Reaction score
we have repaired/replaced 1 or 2 led studs in faulty units ( taken from a smashed unit from the scrap bin ) with success

Repairing is very easy, remember to "flux and tin" both surfaces first,,,,,,,,,,, then put them together.

Its not the repair thats the problem, its preventing water ingress afterwards as the water tracks onto the small internal circuit board and then fuses the lot! :thumbdown:

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
robrac said:
we have repaired/replaced 1 or 2 led studs in faulty units ( taken from a smashed unit from the scrap bin ) with success

Repairing is very easy, remember to "flux and tin" both surfaces first,,,,,,,,,,, then put them together.

Its not the repair thats the problem, its preventing water ingress afterwards as the water tracks onto the small internal circuit board and then fuses the lot! :thumbdown:

Are you talking specifically about the RCZ unit Rob?