What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Newbie looking for an R

Charlie1875

Reaction score
Yes can confirm it’s insurance group 42 which is very reasonable considering M cars, amg’s Audi rs are all group 49.

maybe because it’s so rare and don’t get stolen!

Claret63

Reaction score
Why wouldn't you take notice of valuation guides? That's what the car industry is based on. These guides are compiled by industry experts.

If you ignore these guides you're left with a car that needs all the time in the world to sell. You can't trade it in, you can't sell it any of the car buying services. If write the car off the insurance settlement is based on the valuation guides.

Ignoring the guides puts owners in unexpected situations. There has been a few owners on here that have been caught out thinking the value of the R was only going one way. They have struggled to recoup anywhere near what they paid.
Okay then, can you provide me with a link to the valuation guide that you would use for the R.

Kerr

Reaction score
Okay then, can you provide me with a link to the valuation guide that you would use for the R.

One of the free online valuation guides. HPI/CAP is one of the respected guides used by dealers and insurance companies.

Dealers pay a lot of money for the Glass guide.

Flanners

Reaction score
Yes can confirm it’s insurance group 42 which is very reasonable considering M cars, amg’s Audi rs are all group 49.

maybe because it’s so rare and don’t get stolen!
I think that is pretty high since it only goes up to 50?...., would think it's to do with performance and cost/availability of many of the parts solely for the R.

Kerr

Reaction score
Down to three R/s now, is the grey one sold I wonder?

The other two grey cars at dealers were removed from AutoTrader on Saturday. The white Cazoo car yesterday.

The private sale grey one must have been removed today. It still shows under the private plate and current log book issue.

Kenneth

Reaction score
I think Australia only got a handful of R, but their climate will help. We won't here too many issues from them. I don't think there are many R owners on this forum combined.

The chrome coating appears to fail just though use. I think it breaks up through force leaving mild steel pistons exposed. The chrome coating delaminates from the mild steel pistons and starts to affect the function. The brakes continue to deteriorate until they will seize fully.

If the pistons are sticking they will trail on the disc and cause excessive wear.

It is a big issue. An issue that shouldn't be happening. Alcon should have a better design. Most garages, and especially main dealers, won't get involved with caliper rebuilds. They will be telling the customer they require new calipers. If they are too badly corroded you won't get the pistons out and need new calipers.

If you're faced with a bill for calipers, discs, pads and labour at garage prices the bill is extortionate. I think it is fair and required to point this out to potential buyers. They don't realise the issue or potential costs involved.

There's a few people on here that say the R is a high cost car to run. Outside the brakes I think most things are quite normal for pricing for a performance car.

I didn't watch the Jay review, but he could have been driving a car that the pistons were sticking. That's a very likely possibility if the brakes were not performing.
I think Jay was driving a car that wasn’t “right”. He’s driving other people’s cars and who knows what their motives are. “As seen on JayEmm” unique selling point maybe? He drove a Lancia Fulvia one time and it was quite obviously having gear shift/box issues. Instead of doing a review of a car that’s running right it’s just been left there. I’m sure he’s inundated with folk offering their cars for review but maybe someone with an R that’s running as it’s mean to should give him a nudge. He’s done 2 RCZs though. Maybe he reckons that’s plenty.

Claret63

Reaction score
I think Jay was driving a car that wasn’t “right”. He’s driving other people’s cars and who knows what their motives are. “As seen on JayEmm” unique selling point maybe? He drove a Lancia Fulvia one time and it was quite obviously having gear shift/box issues. Instead of doing a review of a car that’s running right it’s just been left there. I’m sure he’s inundated with folk offering their cars for review but maybe someone with an R that’s running as it’s mean to should give him a nudge. He’s done 2 RCZs though. Maybe he reckons that’s plenty.

Why would anyone take notice of what he thinks, not really an expert in my eyes, in fact most motoring journalists these days are paid to say nice things about cars from manufacturers.

The thing with this Jay chap, would it make a difference if you supplied him with a good car? I think he hated the R mostly because he didn’t spend enough time in it.

If I am totally honest I wasn’t sure about the R at first, that’s mainly because I had to learn to actually drive it firstly, something you don’t do with modern cars, for me it was like going back to the 80s when cars revs were high at motorway cruising because they had no turbos. Also you need to keep the R up the rev range to get the best out of it, but that is the way it’s designed to keep that turbo spinning and its perfectly happy doing that, it’s a track car in my eyes and I am now starting to fully appreciate it for how I used to drive many years ago.

That is why it makes a great weekend car for me, Jay and company can do one!

Kenneth

Reaction score
Why would anyone take notice of what he thinks, not really an expert in my eyes, in fact most motoring journalists these days are paid to say nice things about cars from manufacturers.

The thing with this Jay chap, would it make a difference if you supplied him with a good car? I think he hated the R mostly because he didn’t spend enough time in it.

If I am totally honest I wasn’t sure about the R at first, that’s mainly because I had to learn to actually drive it firstly, something you don’t do with modern cars, for me it was like going back to the 80s when cars revs were high at motorway cruising because they had no turbos. Also you need to keep the R up the rev range to get the best out of it, but that is the way it’s designed to keep that turbo spinning and its perfectly happy doing that, it’s a track car in my eyes and I am now starting to fully appreciate it for how I used to drive many years ago.

That is why it makes a great weekend car for me, Jay and company can do one!
He’s no expert. But he does like cars and he’s got a bit of a following. It’s just better if you see a review on a car that’s working as it was meant to be I guess.

I had an Integrale back in the day and it needed a good hammering to get the best out of it. I’ve never driven an R (I’ve got a 200) and it has to be driven like that to get the performance. It does pull hard in high gear from 30 on and pulls even harder once the hairdryer starts to spin. It’s not blisteringly fast but it’s enjoyable and if you drive on interesting roads it’s an absolute blast actually. If the 200 is fun I imagine the R must be a real hoot. I’d have bought one if I could see anything at the time I was buying that seemed right (to me). There’s just not that many around and they are in the same sort of stage the Integrales were in when I got mine. They’ve been worked on by potentially dubious mechanics that don’t know what they are doing and they might have been owned by someone that can’t really afford to keep them up. You just have to find out all you can about them and tread carefully. Worth it if you get a good one. They are not cheap motoring regardless.

Last edited:

Flanners

Reaction score
I have a Alfa GTV V6, he reviewed one of those and the example he 'tested' that was a complete dog too! Don't understand why he can't get decent examples.....guess he is reliant on his youtube fan base.

AlBuck

Reaction score
The other two grey cars at dealers were removed from AutoTrader on Saturday. The white Cazoo car yesterday.

The private sale grey one must have been removed today. It still shows under the private plate and current log book issue.
Are we down to the 2 black ones and the red one?

Does anybody know anything about the black Rom Motors one?

Verminator

Staff member
Reaction score
That R was owned by a former member and was on the RCZ owner group and she ran that group and still does ask about the car on there

Kenneth

Reaction score
I have an Alfa GTV V6, he reviewed one of those and the example he 'tested' that was a complete dog too! Don't understand why he can't get decent examples.....guess he is reliant on his youtube fan base.
Same with a lot these channels I suppose. They rely on keeping the pot boiling and that will mean taking what they can get. Especially when you get to rarer cars. The RCZ wasn’t a common car even when it was in production and if you really want an R now you’ll really need to be prepared to pay. Seems to be that 12-15k is the ballpark figure. Still an interesting machine for the money. And you need to find someone that understands what they are doing with them to keep them up. Same with your Alfa and that Busso engine. It’s brilliant but it’s not exactly something you’d trust Halfords with

Claret63

Reaction score
That R was owned by a former member and was on the RCZ owner group and she ran that group and still does ask about the car on there

I think a lot of people are looking at the envelope rather than the letter with that car, it maybe a good car underneath but to many bits stuck on for me, plus the paint job, body and wheels won’t be to a lot of people’s taste.

The R is the only car I have had where I wouldn’t change a thing, Peugeot got everything absolutely spot on.

Kerr

Reaction score
Someone has reserved the red car.

After editing all the photographs on the advert including hiding the exhaust, I have a feeling the person isn't going to like the surprises when they turn up.

Claret63

Reaction score
Someone has reserved the red car.

After editing all the photographs on the advert including hiding the exhaust, I have a feeling the person isn't going to like the surprises when they turn up.

It will be very interesting for sure, maybe they are planning to return it to stock, not sure what would cost though, I did think about going looking at myself as it’s local to me, just to see how good or bad it is.

Flanners

Reaction score
It will be very interesting for sure, maybe they are planning to return it to stock, not sure what would cost though, I did think about going look
I thought you would have had a look....some other (possible) sucker has been pulled in by the shiny pics and apparent low mileage. If I was to purchase a car from the Trade it would not be from that outfit.

Claret63

Reaction score
I thought you would have had a look....some other (possible) sucker has been pulled in by the shiny pics and apparent low mileage. If I was to purchase a car from the Trade it would not be from that outfit.
I will be over that way Tuesday, so if it’s still there, I will pop in and report back.

AlBuck

Reaction score
I think a lot of people are looking at the envelope rather than the letter with that car, it maybe a good car underneath but to many bits stuck on for me, plus the paint job, body and wheels won’t be to a lot of people’s taste.

The R is the only car I have had where I wouldn’t change a thing, Peugeot got everything absolutely spot on.
Now I see the wheels are different (I didn't before you said) and there's a strange white strip along the bottom edge, are there other changes?