What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Mk1 Mk2

A

Anonymous

I wouldn't say mk1 and mk2, as I understand that the changes were more cosmetic than any internal.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
So, just booked my car in for its second service.

I have a service plan with the dealership, and when I got the paperwork out to give them the contract number I noticed the car is listed as Peugeot RCZ GT200 1.6 Petrol (New Regime - after 01/07/12) :eusa-think:

So there's one we hadn't come up with :crazy:

DanRo

Reaction score
The reason why I didn't by the phase one was the nose. It looked to much like all other Peugeot in that time and it was not unique enough. When the Phase II came I ordered direct. So I prefer the phase two.

I never understood Peugeot when they designed a car like the RCZ which is unique is the way it looks. You don't give it the same looking nose as all the other models, you give it a nose the is different to make it 100% unique car.
So I think Peugeot also understood and that is why I think they changed it so quickly.

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all' :greetings-wavingblue:

...the "INITIAL" Z' to throw yet another term onto the smouldering French/Austrian fire was adorned with what was then the corporate Peugeot grill as all manufacturers nowadays rely on the grill design to denote the marque rather than simply the manufacturers badge which once use to be the norm. :eusa-whistle:

Peugeot needed the INITIAL Z' to scream PEUGEOT as loud as they could as they wanted/ needed the mainstream to see that Peugeot were capable of being innovative and hence shrug off their failing reputation in the mediocracy arena where the company was finding itself pidgeon holed. Had the INITIAL Z' not had the then Peugeot nose it would not have had the same corporate marketing success that Peugeot was ultimately seeking ,,the badge was even enlarged to Peugeot van size for that very reason so there would be no question as to who that feline beauty had been made by (even though it was actually made by another manufacturer under licence in Austria of course !) :eek:

When the new grill design was adopted that was as a result of the new corporate nose already being used on newer Peugeot models and unfortunately their flagship was still wearing the previous corporate shark like snarl and not their newly updated French grin. Alas the Z' re-design (mid-term facelift) was a costed measure in that the new headlight design wasn't fully integrated with its add on DRL's were not set in wholly new combined headlight units as already incorporated in other non flagship Peugeot models.
AS FOR WHICH IS BEST ?????????
I see the initial and re-design as simply "different" with neither being better or worse but simply a change of expression AND my own INITIAL design to me looks wonderfully menacing which keeps the TT's at bay ! :lol:

.the big blue (..still here sat on the back benches awaiting the house to reconvene after the summer recess) :twisted:

:sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-yellow: :sleeping-yellow:

DanRo

Reaction score
Yes you are right they gave it the same shark wise noose as all other Peugeot models of that time. But they made the RCZ to show the rest of the world that Peugeot was also capable to make an exiting car, so why give it the nose of the comon looking Peugeot of the past instead of giving it from the beginning a new styled nose for the Peugeot of the future. The Mk2 has that nose of future.

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Both points are valid, just as both models are beautiful :eusa-think:

the big blue

Reaction score
Hi all' :greetings-wavingblue:
,,please don't get me wrong I'm not a hater BUT rather than Peugeot simply grafting on the new corporate grin maybe they should have gone to work on what we Z' owners refer to as the "common faults" and saw fit rectify them without question whenever they occur. Without the benefit of shared experience from this Forum I'm sure many of us wouldn't have been in the knowledgeable position to inform the dealer that the issue should be rectified free of charge "engine temperature sensor fault" to name but one !! :clap: ..AND also they could have sorted out their dealerships servicing and associated costing as there seems to be no real structure laid down for them to follow to the letter and the letter is Z' as in RCZ and stop ripping us off ! .....Comrades Unite :beer:

.the big blue (,,as you can see its lonely sat here on the Forum back benches at times) :oops:

DanRo

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
Both points are valid, just as both models are beautiful :eusa-think:

Yes both are beautiful that's is right, I only explained why I like the MK2 more. ;)

Plecodoras

Reaction score
Rather than post a new thread I'm resurrecting this thread from two years back.

It would be interesting to see how many owners of the mk1 have "updated" dare I say it to the mk2, or has time set like concrete and those that bought ( notice bought and not brought which is a totally different word - narks me that, how many people brought something as opposed to bought ) shut up Mick !! pet hate sorry.

I originally bought the mk1 and loved it, only buying the R two years later, not because of the facelift but because it was the R. Snobbish - not really, I was sick of reading reports what basically said the R was what Peugeot should have released in the first place and fed up of reading it - I decided to buy one and see what the fuss was about. At this point I have to say I love it more than the GT200 but not because of looks but the shear difference in the power and how it migrates to the road.

To finish, I love this car more than any I have owned and that's a lot - I'm not 17 no more !

To me it is a thing of beauty unlike anything else on the road ( caveat - not including million pound cars ) and it is a real drivers car - this applies to all models and variants. Peugeot scrapping them has in the long run done us RCZ lovers a favour, in years to come it will still be appreciated for the same things as when it was released, and there might never be another to take it's place because we are entering a new phase in car technology - Electric so RIP the ICE and long live the RCZ.

Cheers n Beers

:beer:

Abzynthe

Reaction score
Plecodoras said:
Rather than post a new thread I'm resurrecting this thread from two years back.

It would be interesting to see how many owners of the mk1 have "updated" dare I say it to the mk2, or has time set like concrete and those that bought ( notice bought and not brought which is a totally different word - narks me that, how many people brought something as opposed to bought ) shut up Mick !! pet hate sorry.

I originally bought the mk1 and loved it, only buying the R two years later, not because of the facelift but because it was the R. Snobbish - not really, I was sick of reading reports what basically said the R was what Peugeot should have released in the first place and fed up of reading it - I decided to buy one and see what the fuss was about. At this point I have to say I love it more than the GT200 but not because of looks but the shear difference in the power and how it migrates to the road.

To finish, I love this car more than any I have owned and that's a lot - I'm not 17 no more !

To me it is a thing of beauty unlike anything else on the road ( caveat - not including million pound cars ) and it is a real drivers car - this applies to all models and variants. Peugeot scrapping them has in the long run done us RCZ lovers a favour, in years to come it will still be appreciated for the same things as when it was released, and there might never be another to take it's place because we are entering a new phase in car technology - Electric so RIP the ICE and long live the RCZ.

Cheers n Beers

:beer:

I had a MK1 Hdi, and now an R. My personal opinion is that the driving position in the HDi was a lot more comfortable than in the R. The main reason being, I cant get the seat to go low enough in the R. I like to feel like Im sat on the floor. The leather electric seats managed to do this.
That being said, the R isn't uncomfortable.
The boot lid on the R is a lot lighter without the motor that retracts the spoiler.

I dont think either would be classed as the best car I have owned, but they are a very close 3rd maybe?

My first being the 740d I owned not long ago.

neilgsxr69

Staff member
Reaction score
So I have the MK1 Z, love the look of the front end now as much as when I bought the car over 3 years ago looks more aggressive than the MK2 especially from the side(my opinion) when the revised front end came out I didn’t like it at all but now it’s quite growing on me at the end of the day MK1 or MK2 they’re both beautiful designs that I’m sure will stand the test of time and will be a true classic which we owners are lucky to have and cherish :dance:

Stu8

Reaction score
neilgsxr69 said:
So I have the MK1 Z, love the look of the front end now as much as when I bought the car over 3 years ago looks more aggressive than the MK2 especially from the side(my opinion) when the revised front end came out I didn’t like it at all but now it’s quite growing on me at the end of the day MK1 or MK2 they’re both beautiful designs that I’m sure will stand the test of time and will be a true classic which we owners are lucky to have and cherish :dance:
I second that :clap:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear from facelift owners when they were first attracted to the Z. There are been members on here that have been very negative towards the first variant, yet I’m almost certain that when the initial Z was released, that was the point when the car caught their attention.
I prefer the MkII not just beacause several of the more common faults have been resolved, but because I do prefer the newer designed front end. However, when the Z was released (MkI) I was blown away by it’s looks, and decided there and then I was going to have one, one day.
It was purely chance that by the time I could afford one, the MkII was available at a price I could manage, and as I was always going to buy the newest car I could afford, it was inevitably going to be a MkII.

Still love both versions, still prefer the MkII.

Windows95

Reaction score
To my eye, it's the silhouette and more especially, the roofline/rear window that sets the RCZ apart from anything else. So I only see the one and only RCZ, be it ver1.01 or ver1.02. The latter to mark the introduction of the super hot "R", I think.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
DKZ5745 said:
It would be interesting to hear from facelift owners when they were first attracted to the Z. There are been members on here that have been very negative towards the first variant, yet I’m almost certain that when the initial Z was released, that was the point when the car caught their attention.
I prefer the MkII not just beacause several of the more common faults have been resolved, but because I do prefer the newer designed front end. However, when the Z was released (MkI) I was blown away by it’s looks, and decided there and then I was going to have one, one day.
It was purely chance that by the time I could afford one, the MkII was available at a price I could manage, and as I was always going to buy the newest car I could afford, it was inevitably going to be a MkII.

Still love both versions, still prefer the MkII.

I loved it from concept. It took me three years to get one when they went into production. When the Mk2 first came out, I didn't like it as much as the Mk1. When the R came out, I didnt care much for the fixed spoiler. But, as I matured, I began to like the R and the Mk2.
When it was able to afford a weekend toy, I wanted something quick, noisey and petrol. While there were a few on the list, it was the R that I was thinking about the most.