What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Looking For A Diesel ?

A

Anonymous

Ok so just started a new job which involves some extra mileage on and off the motorway to get there, it's pretty obvious after just a few days that my trusty old petrol 1.4 Astra estate is just loving the taste of unleaded on these trips, so I'm looking to get a diesel, nothing too big and certainly not brandnew, but I dont really know what to get or more importantly what NOT to get.

I've read some horror stories about "older" diesels, and as I only want this car for back and too work I will be probably be getting something with a bit of mileage and years under it's belt.

So any advice on good or bad marques would be great, and also any tips on what to look for when buying a diesel :beer:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Ok so just started a new job which involves some extra mileage on and off the motorway to get there, it's pretty obvious after just a few days that my trusty old petrol 1.4 Astra estate is just loving the taste of unleaded on these trips, so I'm looking to get a diesel, nothing too big and certainly not brandnew, but I dont really know what to get or more importantly what NOT to get.

I've read some horror stories about "older" diesels, and as I only want this car for back and too work I will be probably be getting something with a bit of mileage and years under it's belt.

So any advice on good or bad marques would be great, and also any tips on what to look for when buying a diesel :beer:

How old were you thinking? I loved my 56 plate 1.6 HDi 110bhp 207, easily got 54mpg daily but on a run (probably more the kinda miles youre likely to be doing) I was getting nearer 57mpg.

My dad has the 1.6Hdi 90bhp 307 a 56plate too) and his doddling about still returns 55mpg.

A

Anonymous

Donna,
around that sort of year would be good. I did in fact miss a 207 HDi on Auto trader a few days ago.

Is better to get one with or without a turbo, and do the bigger cc engines give a better overall fuel consumption ?

There seem to be lots of higher cc engines diesel compared to lower ones, for instance 1.4 cc

A

Anonymous

Our other car is a 308 1.6 HDI (90bhp)
Although only 90 BHP it quite nippy and we get upto 65 MPG
£30 a year to tax as well

A

Anonymous

Maybe I'm biased but Pug diesels are good. The don't smoke like some can .... Fords are pretty bad. Pug engines last forever too, so even old ones woul dbe a decent buy. My dad sometimes drives his pal's taxi to help him out ... he has a Pug Eurobus and it's done 240K, and still going strong on a 07 plate, pretty much original too I think.
This is my 4th diesel Pug and my Dad's 3rd. All of ours have been turbos, think only the old ones such as 306s came as non-turbo variants (but don't quote me on that!).

If you don't need a big car, the 207 is great but if a boot is handy then better of with the 307/308.

A

Anonymous

just seen this in local paper.
307 2.0dhi on a 02 plate 78,000 miles £2000, one owner immaculate.
full service history, and new cam belt.
only a 3 door though.
Not sure which model it is ?
but says folding mirrors , 6cd changer , cruise control :eusa-think:

Does anyone know what one is the base model and so on ?

Attachments

• ac34ff34e8a832007593c5096e4d908930becc52.jpg
    ac34ff34e8a832007593c5096e4d908930becc52.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 2,439
A

Anonymous

Base model is a S, you get an SE which has the "aul mannie" beige interior usually, so that could possibly be the Sport. Not sure if Rapiers were 02 plates?

My Dad has an S though that also has cruise control/speed limiter, alloys but no 'foldy in' mirrors. Could be part of a pack though.

Not sure about the gold colour though. 3 drs are quite rare.

Found this page for you.....
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/f ... back-2001/
that might help...

A

Anonymous

maybe ron will sell his rcz diesel :lol: :lol: :lol: it cant be worth much more the £2k :lol: :lol: seriously :lol: the corsa diesels are very reliable mate engine wise hers indoors gas just done 50,000 and aint batted a eyelid although i can say nowt nice about the rest of the car but mechanically sound :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

jassyo06 said:
maybe ron will sell his rcz diesel :lol: :lol: :lol: it cant be worth much more the £2k :lol:
Sorry jassy I would have let it go for that sort of figure, but jactac said " nothing too big and certainly not brandnew," so that precludes Pearl2 :beer:

A

Anonymous

Got to be the Audi A3 TDi

600 miles to the tank - not too big, can get one not too new.

:eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

Theres so many to pick from, and as I've never had a diesel I'm a bit wary on what to look out for.

But it will definatley not have champagne arches (Ron). :lol:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
You couldn't afford them. Let's face it jactac, you couldn't even stretch to Pearl White despite the fact you knew it to be the best colour option. :clap:

A

Anonymous

TACJAC how many "extra" miles are you talking about in your OP? What's your new annual miles gonna be roughly? If you're gonna be under 15k stick with your petrol. Older diesels can be real money pits if not looked after properly (and a full set of dealer stamps does not automatically mean it's been looked after so don't be fooled). Petrols are much simpler in design and stand up to abuse and neglect FAR FAR better than dervs. Also factor in the ever increasing gap between pet and diesel prices, what is it, about 9ppl now. As more people jump on the diesel bandwagon I can see that gap increasing even more, into double figures, so your extra mpg from a diesel would make you no better off than a petrol unless you're doing starship mileage.

A

Anonymous

RCZowner said:
TACJAC how many "extra" miles are you talking about in your OP? What's your new annual miles gonna be roughly? If you're gonna be under 15k stick with your petrol. Older diesels can be real money pits if not looked after properly (and a full set of dealer stamps does not automatically mean it's been looked after so don't be fooled). Petrols are much simpler in design and stand up to abuse and neglect FAR FAR better than dervs. Also factor in the ever increasing gap between pet and diesel prices, what is it, about 9ppl now. As more people jump on the diesel bandwagon I can see that gap increasing even more, into double figures, so your extra mpg from a diesel would make you no better off than a petrol unless you're doing starship mileage.

Good points, and all taken on board, in fact I'm having second thoughts about getting diesel, the extra mileage dont really warrant a diesel, I think I just need to move my old Astra 1.4 estate on for a newer and more economical petrol vehicle, she's done over 130,000 and its starting to show, ie: increased fuel comsumption plus a real obvious lack of power.
I have changed plugs, coil pack, EGR valve, cleaned out the carb ect ect, but I think it's had it's best days, plus it's a bloody heavy car for a simple & basic 1.4cc engine.

One option is to take back my previous 2006 petrol Astra 1800 Sri that I gave to my son when I bought the RCZ, and use that, it has only done 28,000 miles and is in mint condition, engine & body.
Only draw back is that I will then need to buy him something more expensive than I was going to pay for a diesel myself, and as his 21st is looming the wife thinks this is the best option. :eusa-think:
My opinions somehow seem to be falling on deaf ears, AGAIN !

By the way, to answer your question, my total daily mileage will be around 20 miles, and 95% of that will be motorway.
My last job was 4 miles in total daily, I basicaly fell out of bed and onto the shop floor. :lol:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
jactac said:
You couldn't afford them. Let's face it jactac, you couldn't even stretch to Pearl White despite the fact you knew it to be the best colour option. :clap:

Oh believe me Ronnie son, it really was'nt a money matter, I just didnt want to be laughed at :dance: :lol:

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
Oh believe me Ronnie son, it really was'nt a money matter, I just didnt want to be laughed at :dance: :lol:
You "didnt want to be laughed at" and yet you are happy to drive around with Dolly as a passenger. Your having a laugh my son :lol:

A

Anonymous

OO58RON said:
jactac said:
You "didnt want to be laughed at" and yet you are happy to drive around with Dolly as a passenger. Your having a laugh my son :lol:

Dolly is a class act I will let you know :x

She's fully up to date with all her injections and is dipped every fortnight, all her wool is knot free and her rear end does not have any twinkles hanging from it. :lol: