What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Led brake light below spoiler

renegade79

Reaction score
apologies. here is the proper thread. here are simple sinstructions if you wish to remove the third brake lamp yourself. its only fitted with a couple of torx screws.

race0360 said:
I have just fitted a flashing brake unit from the linked site to my Third brake light, took about an hour with wiring.

Just take all the push buttons out the boot lid liner and hinge covers and it drops out as a complete unit. You can access the wiring for the modification and mount the little unit with ease.

If you need to remove the third brakelight it is removed from the inside and is secured with torq screws. the unit is one sealed unit and all LED's

I do like this simple modification to the third brakelight. If its legal or not it, am I bothered NO.

A

Anonymous

renegade79 said:
apologies. here is the proper thread. here are simple sinstructions if you wish to remove the third brake lamp yourself. its only fitted with a couple of torx screws.

race0360 said:
I have just fitted a flashing brake unit from the linked site to my Third brake light, took about an hour with wiring.

Just take all the push buttons out the boot lid liner and hinge covers and it drops out as a complete unit. You can access the wiring for the modification and mount the little unit with ease.

If you need to remove the third brakelight it is removed from the inside and is secured with torq screws. the unit is one sealed unit and all LED's

I do like this simple modification to the third brakelight. If its legal or not it, am I bothered NO.

If I get 10 mins at the weekend I'll take it out and have a look, see if it's fixable or an easy mod, may even get the flasher unit :thumbup:

thornebt

Reaction score
Is it not possible to replace the LEDs with a generic LED strip? The following one is about £3.00 on Ebay with freepost from Hong Kong:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Truck-Auto-Ca ... 5d3ee5a704

I guess there are a variety of different lengths available - that was just the first one I found. I know that many of you would not consider fitting a non-standard part (particularly one made in Hong Kong where quality isn't always the best) but the Peugeot price is ridiculously expensive. Perhaps there's someone who's an expert on auto electrics who can provide some good advice.

Abzynthe

Reaction score
I like your theory. The original brake light is SMD leds. So you could pop them out and resolder. Providing you can take the unit apart, or take them all out and use the wiring to run a strip in front of where they used to be, but still inside the lense.

thornebt

Reaction score
I didn't know what SMD LEDs were but Googled it where I found that the lifespan is up to 100,000 hours - that's a lot of braking! About 11.5 years worth. Perhaps that might help people pursuing this as a warranty claim.

As someone has pointed out it's fairly straightforward to get to the unit so we just need a suitable length strip that can be easily connected? I say 'we' but I haven't checked my LEDs yet to see if any have failed.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
In all probability, the issue here will not be the LED itself but one of the soldered joints. If you can get to it - as others have commented on - it'll be an easy fix.

However, I'd be surprised if getting to it is easy. No doubt to save costs, the assembly is bonded together, so it's hard to get apart without breaking it or being unable to seal it against moisture again.

A

Anonymous

bigpea said:
renegade79 said:

race0360 said:

If I get 10 mins at the weekend I'll take it out and have a look, see if it's fixable or an easy mod, may even get the flasher unit :thumbup:

Ordered the flasher unit and will take the light apart when the flasher arrives, I'll get one of the panel builders' sparky's at work to take a look if it looks to tech ;)

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone I wonder if anyone has managed to get their third brake light changed under warranty, mine has 4 LED's out at the moment and the local dealer tell me its not covered

My car is just under 3 years old and I would like to get it sorted at its next service visit, (Days in Swansea) are quoting £120 plus fitting (ouch) this seems a lot for something that has a couple of dozen 10p LED's in it

I have tried phoning Peugeot warranty directly and got though to a receptionist, but she would not put me through to anyone who could tell me if the third brake light cluster was covered

Thanks in advance

Steve

DKZ5745

Reaction score
It is a tricky one this really, cos we all know bulbs & tyres etc are not covered under warranty, but, the reported life of LEDs would suggest that they should certainly last longer than the 3 year warranty period.
:eusa-think: It's always worth a try going to the car manufacturer direct, but so far, my experience with Pug has not been the best. My last car was Renault Megane CC & I have to say Renault UK were more than fair when it came to anything like this.

hanswuk

Reaction score
darkrahn said:
Hi everyone I wonder if anyone has managed to get their third brake light changed under warranty, mine has 4 LED's out at the moment and the local dealer tell me its not covered

My car is just under 3 years old and I would like to get it sorted at its next service visit, (Days in Swansea) are quoting £120 plus fitting (ouch) this seems a lot for something that has a couple of dozen 10p LED's in it

I have tried phoning Peugeot warranty directly and got though to a receptionist, but she would not put me through to anyone who could tell me if the third brake light cluster was covered

Thanks in advance

Steve
Steve, mine was replaced without argument when the car was around two years old because one light wasn't functioning. Argue that an LED strip is not a 'normal' bulb in that it's lifespan should be indefinite and therefore premature failure should be covered under warranty.

renegade79

Reaction score
so yesterday when i was getting my a/c re gassed, the technician was driving my car into the garage and i noticed that 2 of my led's on the brake light are not working. :x

so i asked the dealer for a price for a new one. he couldn't find it on the computer so i had to tell him the part no. for it and then he found it and told me a new one would cost €175 plus VAT. :?

i think i'm gonna try and get someone local to fix it. my car is out of warranty. dealer said if the car was in warranty he would have fought to get a new one replaced for free! dealers eh :eusa-whistle:

DKZ5745

Reaction score
Or you could go for the cheaper option, drive like me, and just don't brake :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

I have 1 led out (second from the left when viewed from rear) and my Peugeot main dealer have quoted me £206.82 to replace it.....

Has anyone managed to remove these led strips, and if so can they please post a 'How-To', so us lesser mortals can try to do something about it - even if it means being unleashed with a soldering iron - since I would imagine its Peugeot's iffy electrics rather than an LED bulb that has blown.

Hope someone can help!

Stuart

renegade79

Reaction score
stuartrayner said:
I have 1 led out (second from the left when viewed from rear) and my Peugeot main dealer have quoted me £206.82 to replace it.....

Has anyone managed to remove these led strips, and if so can they please post a 'How-To', so us lesser mortals can try to do something about it - even if it means being unleashed with a soldering iron - since I would imagine its Peugeot's iffy electrics rather than an LED bulb that has blown.

Hope someone can help!

Stuart
Ouch - that is some price!!! I'm going to make some enquiries into this so I'll report back what I find out!

A

Anonymous

Thanks renegade79, i think someone earlier mentioned that it was just 'a couple of Torx screws' but it would certainly be helpful to know how/if/what to remove and how and if its a likely connection issue (maybe water ingress from the adaptive spoiler above it) causing it at least 'we' can fix and make waterproof ourselves....

Stuart

A

Anonymous

Quick question: when reported as dead led, is it completely off or almost off? I've 2 leds clearly "dying", but they still on, but I would say almost 1/4 of the normal ones brightness.

renegade79

Reaction score
stuartrayner said:
Thanks renegade79, i think someone earlier mentioned that it was just 'a couple of Torx screws' but it would certainly be helpful to know how/if/what to remove and how and if its a likely connection issue (maybe water ingress from the adaptive spoiler above it) causing it at least 'we' can fix and make waterproof ourselves....

Stuart
it's not difficult to remove the lamp but the problem will be trying to prise open the lamp unit to get to the led's themselves. peugeot would probably prefer that customers bought new ones so it may not be feasible to open the lamp itself.

pete.garratt

Reaction score
If it's only one or two LEDs, I would expect it to be a bad soldered joint somewhere in the assembly, either the LED itself or one of the current limiting resistors (used to match the 12V of the car to the 1-2V it needs to be supplied with. (Don't think the LEDS are wired in series, otherwise they'd all go out if there was a problem with one).