What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Knocking noise at low revs

A

Anonymous

Sadly the repairs are complete and no change results. The search for the mystery noise will continue. i asked the dealer whether this info flash meant that they would be introducing a change during production. He believes that that would only result if they had a high percentage of vehicles exhibiting the fault. It seems strange that they would recommend a part change in this manner if it not related to some basic fault in the production of the original part.

Ian

A

Anonymous

jenian,
sorry to hear that you still have this irritating noise, to be perfectly honest i just think it's part of how the cars sounds, it is in my opinion a very loud & noisy car, whether that be actualy driving along or just trying to park up, it always sounds "rumbly" and noisy.
Poor build or poor quality, or just "normal" for the RCZ, who know's but i think the debate will just go on forever.

It's a real shame really, but i dont think that there is a fault a such that can be rectified. You will find that some owners are ok with the RCZ's "characteristics" as they call them, and others are fed up with them.

As you say, "the search continues", the question though now is, what are we searching for, that noise or maybe another car :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

it appears that the hdi is not as noisy as the petrol engine :crazy:

RCZ1

Reaction score
156 Sport, 18 inch alloys and no noises. :thumbup:

Actually today went for a ride out onto the North Yorkshire Moors with my mum, roads not the best, etc and my mother got talking about the RCZ and actually said it's a nice smooth ride and quiet. I lie not! I wish I had recorded it :thumbup:

A

Anonymous

t110jim said:
glad we are all in agreement

Or is it i wonder a case of a recent quote that i read, as follows : "you pay your money so just accept what you got" Unquote.

Strangely enough that quote is from a 2.0 HDi owner when commenting on the build quality and fault issues on the RCZ, including noise issues.
Basicaly what this owner is saying is "oh well i've coughed up the money so i may aswell ignore any issuues and accept the car as it is"

A

Anonymous

bee said:
it appears that the hdi is not as noisy as the petrol engine :crazy:

bee,
I think the noise is coming from under the car rather than the engine, it seems to be more of a suspension or wheel sort of rumble/knocking noise.

Personaly i think the "knocking at low revs" title is a little misleading when trying to explain this noise.

By "low revs" i think the person means slow manoeuvers or parking ect ect.

Again as i've agreed before, it could very well be the low profile tyres on the 19 inch wheel ?

I dont think the RCZ petrol engine is any noisier than any other petrol engine that i've driven.

A

Anonymous

oh, must say that i had similar issues with my 308cc but i just ignored it as i was px/ing it anyway. but yes anoying.

RCZ1

Reaction score
jactac said:
t110jim said:
glad we are all in agreement

Or is it i wonder a case of a recent quote that i read, as follows : "you pay your money so just accept what you got" Unquote.

Strangely enough that quote is from a 2.0 HDi owner when commenting on the build quality and fault issues on the RCZ, including noise issues.
Basicaly what this owner is saying is "oh well i've coughed up the money so i may aswell ignore any issuues and accept the car as it is"

Hi Jactac, believe me if I had problems with my car, then I would be the first to complain and would take it straight back to my dealer to be dealt with. The truth of the matter is that I don't have any such noises. Parking does not give me any noise or low revs or any noises coming from the bottom of the car. I do not choose to ignore noises or any issues that may come up. I do not accept anything! Have you actually taken you car back to your dealer to be looked at? Maybe that should be your next step ;)

I had an annoying squeak coming from my front brakes on my last car a few months after I got it. It wasn't very obvious but I knew it was there. I took it back to the Vauxhall dealer twice - all they did was clean the brakes down and didn't even attempt to look for other possible reasons - only going by what I thought the problem was (what did I know - I'm only a woman!). The noise persisted, so I rang a different dealer in the area, explained my problem and my experiences with my own dealer and they took the car in and really looked to find the cause of the problem. They even recognised that there was a noise, which my original dealer had not even bothered to ascertain, but alas could not find a problem. However, whatever they did, the problem stopped and it never returned in the 3.5 years that I had it (and they didn't charge me a penny!).

A

Anonymous

K,
like you i also do not ignore issues that i have with a product that i have purchased, it doesnt matter if it cost a £25000 or £1.
The point i was making is that there are actual people who do think like this. I also feel that there are people in this world that buy an expensive product and when things do not turn out as expected they actualy convince themselves all is ok as not to feel like they have spent hard earned money on something that is going wrong.
Maybe its a pride thing. I'm not say you or anyone else thinks like that regarding the RCZ but i do feel there are people like that out there.

All my neighbours, friends and work colleagues constantly ask "hows the car going", my answer is always the same "like a dream", yet little do they know that i'm constantly fighting with thoughts about selling it and i have various issues with it, but i dont tell them these things as it dents the pride saying them when you've spent so much money on a car and praising it from day one.

As for visting a dealer, to be honest i have'nt, simply because it seems to be "normal" for the RCZ to make these noises, well according to the majority of opinions on this site.
Perhaps a dealer visit should be arranged but i think if i were "officially" told this is how the RCZ is then it could be the final straw that does break the camels back, and i think deep down i may be trying to avoid crossing that bridge for as long as i can, whether that be for pride or trying my best to love the car or even the thought of losing money on it , it will be a difficult decision after just 12 weeks. :|

Anyway this isnt my thread and i dont want to hijack it with my issues, so maybe it's best to agree to disagree, (again). ;)

RCZ1

Reaction score
No probs Jactac :thumbup:

I am really sorry that you don't "feel the love" for the RCZ as much as you would have hoped. If you do decide to change, possibly for the Citroen DS Sport, I hope it all works out for you. Personally I think they are a cracking little car and very distinctive. :thumbup:

t110jim

Reaction score
Jactac I think you need to go and drive your car you said you have only done 750 miles with it. You cant get to know a car in only that amount of miles. I drove over 200miles in the demonstator before even thinking of buying my one. car is quiet on most road surfaces, but on chipped roads you do gat a bit of tyre roar , engine is bearly audible at 7o mph. By the way i'm not deaf one of my workmates said I can here the grass growing.

A

Anonymous

t110jim said:
Jactac I think you need to go and drive your car you said you have only done 750 miles with it. You cant get to know a car in only that amount of miles. I drove over 200miles in the demonstator before even thinking of buying my one. car is quiet on most road surfaces, but on chipped roads you do gat a bit of tyre roar , engine is bearly audible at 7o mph. By the way i'm not deaf one of my workmates said I can here the grass growing.

This is a very good point, i dont get out in the RCZ that much due to my work hours and i take my old run around into work, so to be honest when i do drive the RCZ it's like getting in a new car everytime.

I think, well i hope if i can get some miles under me in the RCZ it will ignite that flame again.
I'm on hols in few weeks so i will take her out daily to try and bond our relationship. Bloody cars, its like being married. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I had the similar noise coming from front left of the car, turns out the washers on the suspension were faulty... They covered it under warranty. All is well now :) Hope that it helps someone.

A

Anonymous

My RCZ also has a knocking noise that seems to come from the underneath.

I have to negotiate, at mostly slow speeds, several miles of bumpy, potholed and narrow country lanes every day on my way to work and home again. The knocking seems to occur then, particularly if the car is jolted by a pothole. On main roads, at speed, there isn't a problem.

The noise reminds me of years ago when I had an old banger and one of the shock absorbers had come loose. I told my husband about it, he said I was imagining it (as he always did and still does) :helpme: When he finally decided there was a noise, the shock absorber was so loose, it was swinging and hitting against the car body. By that time, I'd got used to driving around with the stereo blaring to drown out the noise. The RCZ noise isn't at the same level but is still pretty loud.

With 2011 being the year from hell at work, I haven't pursued it as more aggravation is the last thing I need but I think I may well visit my nearest Peugeot dealership when next passing, no doubt to be told by another man, I'm imagining it.:roll: