What's new
Peugeot RCZ Forum

Register a free account today to become a member. It's free! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, connect with other members through your own private inbox and take part in competitions!

Knocking noise at low revs

simonpople

Reaction score
After my RCZ being re-called for replacement of the fuel pipe the car developed a rumbling/knocking noise when pulling away at relatively low revs.

This noise came and went, returned to the dealer for them to secure the tray under the engine that protects the bottom of the sump. Noise stopped.

Few days later it returned. Booked the car in again and the day before I was due to return the noise stopped again, thought I was going mad.

Noise has come back and been out with an Engineer from the dealership and they have looked and now need to keep it for a few days to explore the problem, could be related to engine mountings. Booked in for the 23rd May.

Anybody else had anything like this?

RCZ 2.0 HDi Sport.

UPDATE: The garage had it for two days, said they adjusted a few things, tested it, adjusted some more and tested again oh, and also re-worked the fuel pipe re-call work and now there is no noise. They tightened up everything, clutch is a lot tighter, brakes have been adjusted along with handbrake. Have requested a report of everything that was done, apparently Peugeot dealers offer this and it arrives in the post a week later. If not I shall ring and request again.

A

Anonymous

Will watch this thread with interest.

I have a knocking noise that sounds like it is coming from the rear of the car when turning corners or going over bumps at low speed. I can't find anything myself but it sounds like there is something loose, somewhere. Reluctant to take it back to the dealer for yet another issue and plan to wait until the 10k service (about 3k away) to investigate.

Now I say sounds like because we used to have a rattle in the dash (replaced under warranty) that I originally would have sworn was coming from the right hand air vent - very deceptive where these sounds are...

A

Anonymous

I have noticed this same sound, it seem's to be from the rear passenger side, as if something is slightly rolling around in the boot when you turn a corner ?

It is a "knock" type of sound, as if something has fallen or leaned over in the boot ? My boot is empty, i have even taken the spare wheel and tools out to see if they perhaps moving around and causing it, but it is sometimes still there with a totaly empty boot.

I first noticed it on the very first roundabout i came to leaving the dealers when i picked the car up, but being a new car that i was not familiar with i just put it down to that maybe there was something rolling around in the boot. Thing is it's, not there all the time and it's not a sound that you can easily describe and identify.

I've only just had the car so i'm just getting usd to the different way it drives and sounds from my previous car, but i think i will keep a check on this and mention it to the dealer when it goes in for it's 1000 mile check up.

A

Anonymous

i had this exact same issue with my previous car (honda civic)
after multiple trips to the dealer with no result a non-franchised dealer told me over a pint that the sound is caused by the seatbelt pre-tensioner and was perfectly normal if a little annoying if you didn't have any music on to disguise it.
i could hear it on the drivers side and any passenger could hear it where they sat so it made sense.

could it be the same thing?

i've noticed a bit of a rattle from the rear nearside seat but only after the seatbelt was used for the first time when i took my 7 year old niece for a spin. there was no rattle before the belt was used and now i hear it all the time if i don't have music on.

A

Anonymous

It does sound like it coming from around that area, under the rear seat :eusa-think:

RCZ1

Reaction score
Have you had the rear seats folded down? There was a noise coming from the rear of mine so I undid the catch in the boot to release the rear seats and then slammed them back into position. Hey presto - no more noise. Just a thought. :eusa-think:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
Have you had the rear seats folded down? There was a noise coming from the rear of mine so I undid the catch in the boot to release the rear seats and then slammed them back into position. Hey presto - no more noise. Just a thought. :eusa-think:

Same as me... And i felt a bit of a tube after an hour of head scratching :lol:

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
I found exactly the same.

Also noticed 2 rattles from the dash on the drivers side. The first one's coming from the actual speedo/rev counter/fuel/temp dials, the transparent plastic faces appear to be secured but the rattle appears to be coming from the chrome surrounds and the mechanisms behind the dials (it's definitely not the centre clock or air vents).

The other rattle was a more embarrasing discovery... Rattling keys in the ignition :oops:

A

Anonymous

khatkar said:
The first one's coming from the actual speedo/rev counter/fuel/temp dials, the transparent plastic faces appear to be secured but the rattle appears to be coming from the chrome surrounds and the mechanisms behind the dials (it's definitely not the centre clock or air vents).
This is the same rattle we had, loud enough to drown out the soft whine of the turbo when on non-tarmac roads (so rough surface roads). Took it to the dealer who diagnosed it as the instrument cluster by taking the car for a drive with a passenger holding the cluster in his lap - rattle gone. Cluster replaced under warranty a few weeks later and the rattle is mostly gone. I say mostly as it only appears now and then, but is very faint - probably only I can hear it.

Trucker

Reaction score
I also have a knocking noise at low speeds, sometimes when on bumpy roads, particualry when going round corners and other times when you wouldn't expect it. Been to garage 3 times now. They spoke to Peugeot and replaced a part linked to the steering column I think (might be totally wrong there!!!) but the problem isn't fixed. It has NEVER made the knocking rattling noise when the dealer has it. Sound like its coming from under the care, drivers side. Not sure what to do now. Dealer probably thinks I'm imagining things! Also got the vibrating noise mentioned in another post at start-up when cold. Beginning to think my care is destined to permanently rattle!!

A

Anonymous

I also have the problem. Seems that it is happy to travel around the world (Australia). It occurs particularly when the car has warmed up a little and is only noticeable at low speeds; particularly when coming around and out of a corner. Sounds like something is 'flopping' back a fro and is a very 'hollow' sound. Interestingly, I originally had a very similar sound but it was much louder and clearer coming from under the seat. Eventually found the lid of a spray can jammed up under the drivers seat. Must have been there from the start as we haven't had anything like it in the car since new.I will watch this thread with interest to see if anybody comes across a solution as it is most annoying and is hard to ignore.

FGRob

Reaction score
The rattle on the front could be coming from your strut top mount, I find that with the 19" wheels, especially over pot holes tend to thump a bit, might be worth asking them to tighten the top nut up at the top of the strut. We sometimes have the same problem with the MR2's and it's usually top mount related.

As for the back sloshing noise, could it be your fuel moving around, I get this all the time especially at low speed and when the tank is just coming off the full mark towards three quarter and of course when the radio is at a low level.

I also get a noise when I go over speed bumps, mainly from the back, I've put that down to the anti roll bar bushing complaining as both wheels move up and down at the same time which is uncommon during normal road use, they could do with a little rubber grease in the bushes.

Hope this helps.

Rob

A

Anonymous

FGRob said:
The rattle on the front could be coming from your strut top mount, I find that with the 19" wheels, especially over pot holes tend to thump a bit, might be worth asking them to tighten the top nut up at the top of the strut.
Rob is this accessible to the home wrencher? I've found quite a few loose bolts so far (including one of the wheel nuts!!!) so if I can get at it...

FGRob

Reaction score
Glenn said:
FGRob said:
The rattle on the front could be coming from your strut top mount, I find that with the 19" wheels, especially over pot holes tend to thump a bit, might be worth asking them to tighten the top nut up at the top of the strut.
Rob is this accessible to the home wrencher? I've found quite a few loose bolts so far (including one of the wheel nuts!!!) so if I can get at it...
Hi Glen.

You can see the nut through the plastic, so the only way you can get to it is by removing the plastic but I've not gone that far yet, I'll have a look tonight to see how easy it is to get it off.

I had a couple of loose wheel bolts (not falling out but not at the right setting) when I had my alloys changed, I started to get a heavy knock when I stopped quickly, all was fixed when I did them up again.

Rob.

FGRob

Reaction score
Hi Glenn.

Couldn't get the plastic off, looks like you need a Torx driver to remove the two bolts then you need to remove the rubber seal along the inside of the bonnet, I think then it will push back to allow access to the strut top. You will need a allen key in the top of the strut to hold it still and a ringer to check the nut.

Let us know how you go on.

Rob.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Rob. I bought a set of torx heads when I had to screw the door latch back in (one nut had fallen out and the other must have been holding on by a thread or two). I'll have a look this weekend if conditions are right.

A

Anonymous

Just by way of an update. The diagnosis (after several visits) is to replace the Steering Tie Rod ends referred to in the Peugeot Infoflash B3EW010KQ0. Parts will take about 2 weeks to come from France so I will post how it all turns out later.

Ian

A

Anonymous

I find that the car in general developes a lot of noise from underneath, like as if there is something loose, some days it feels like it is from the front and other days from the back, and all at low speeds, pulling off or parking ect ?

Jenian,
is this infoflash fix being done on new cars,

A

Anonymous

RCZ1 said:
i did exactly the same, no more noise

A

Anonymous

jactac said:
I find that the car in general developes a lot of noise from underneath, like as if there is something loose, some days it feels like it is from the front and other days from the back, and all at low speeds, pulling off or parking ect ?

Jenian,
is this infoflash fix being done on new cars,

To Jactac

Your symptoms sound very similar. The dealer didn't say whether they were making a change to the production line - but you would think so. I will try and get an answer when I get the work done in about 2 weeks.